Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS Release: REDSKINS SIGN REED DOUGHTY

Mark The Homer

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

May 26, 2010

REDSKINS SIGN REED DOUGHTY

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed safety Reed Doughty. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Doughty, 27, has appeared in 45 games, with 16 starts, for the Redskins since the team drafted him the sixth round (No. 173 overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft out of Northern Colorado. He has totaled 159 career tackles (113 solo), 59 special teams stops, 2.5 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery.

In 2009, Doughty (6-1, 205) played in 15 games, with seven starts, and recorded career highs in tackles (93), solo tackles (77), tackles for loss (4), sacks (2), interceptions (1), passes defensed (3), and fumble recoveries (1). His 93 tackles were fourth on the club, while is 21 special teams stops ranked second.

A native Johnstown, Colo., Doughty was born Nov. 4, 1982.

He's a smart, hardnosed player...I must admit, when Horton took his job a couple of years back, i thought he was done. But last year he redeemed himself from his injury and ended up being one of a few bright spots on the team. Looking forward to good things from him this year.

one of the better safeties in the league last year according to PFF. :) (somebody had to say it)

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

very good player. good move by the skins. hope he's as good in the 3-4 as he has been under blache.

Nice find on the stats. Horton also got rated at 27 and Landry was like 90.

Is this anything more than him just signing the one year tender? The media outlets are saying it's just the tender he signed, but everyone on here is talking like it was a longer deal, plus the wording on the release says the details are not yet disclosed, which is what makes me think maybe the media just doesn't know ... as usual.

I don't know about Reed Doughty. Didn't like him ever since TO lit him up for 4 TDs. To the guy that posted his stats from that website...well those stats expose him. 90.3 QB rating against him and 68.0% QB completion percentage against him is not good. Laron Landry stats are horrible, but he is playing the wrong position. Doughty don't have an excuse. We need someone better back there.

Is this anything more than him just signing the one year tender? The media outlets are saying it's just the tender he signed, but everyone on here is talking like it was a longer deal, plus the wording on the release says the details are not yet disclosed, which is what makes me think maybe the media just doesn't know ... as usual.

Depends on how technical you want to get.:)

He was given a tender which means like Los & Rocky, he basically didn't have a contract at the time. The wording of the press release states "Redskins sign Reed Doughty" which implies he still didn't have a current, valid contract. And this implies he signed his tender. That said, I'll see what I can find out tomorrow for sure which one it was.

And while I'm here, I'll toss this out since I'm sure someone will ask about it.:)

June 1 — Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of season if player is not signed by another club by July 22.

June 1 — Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights.

June 15 — Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting tender of 110 percent of previous year’s salary.

I'm I the only one who didn't know he was unsigned?

:paranoid:

*raises hand*

I like Reed, I hope he signs a long term deal and we have more home grown players on the roster. He can at least be a good backup/third safety.

I don't know about Reed Doughty. Didn't like him ever since TO lit him up for 4 TDs. To the guy that posted his stats from that website...well those stats expose him. 90.3 QB rating against him and 68.0% QB completion percentage against him is not good. Laron Landry stats are horrible, but he is playing the wrong position. Doughty don't have an excuse. We need someone better back there.

Wrong position? When a player is taken with the sixth pick in the draft, he had better be able to play damn near every position in the secondary. If not, he was a horrible pick (which Landry unquestionably was).

As for Doughty, the guy is a pro and as such I'm happy to continue to have him around.

Laron Landry stats are horrible, but he is playing the wrong position. Doughty don't have an excuse. We need someone better back there.

I get tired of this excuse. It's garbage and I think we all know it. Don't both strong and free safties have coverage responsibilities? Don't they have to be able to tackle? Isn't choosing the correct angle to run someone down important?

Played in the wrong position? What posistion was that? On the field! He was a saftey. Safeties have to cover running backs, tight ends, and especially in zones wide receivers. It don't matter if you're strong or free.

Are you saying he should have been played as a rush down only linebacker? Is that his correct position? Even those have coverage responsibilities. I get annoyed with the excuse making.

Archived