Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS Release: REDSKINS SIGN REED DOUGHTY

Mark The Homer

30 yards off the ball when he should have been close to, if not in the box. You saw how well he did when he got brought closer to the LOS against the Raiders.

Against the Raiders? You're excited that he looked more effective against the Raiders? The Raiders???

You're missing the point. When he's closer to the LOS, he plays better. Bottom line.

So, you're saying he's a good safety as long as he has no coverage responsibilities and doesn't have to chase anyone down and doesn't have to make any solo tackles. Gotcha.

Sounds like an outstanding safety to me.

:evilg:

Edit: And a major congrats to Reed. A hard working guy who is really easy to root for!

So, you're saying he's a good safety as long as he has no coverage responsibilities and doesn't have to chase anyone down and doesn't have to make any solo tackles. Gotcha.

Sounds like an outstanding safety to me.

:evilg:

I'm saying when he's playing where a safety should play (read: not 30 yards off the ball) he makes plays. They bring him up close to the LOS because he's good in run support. When he tries to make plays starting from 30 off the ball is when he makes mistakes. When he tries to make plays starting from where a safety should start, he makes them.

Yeah, he got torched on some double moves, but that was because he was trying to get where he needed to be to make the tackle. If he started at a normal safety depth, he'd have been right there and wouldn't have gotten torched.

he's no SEAN TAYLOR by any means, but i think he fits the FREE safety position very well. DO WORK, REED!!!
Hell there might be a handful of guys in the NFL that might come close to being comparable to ST. The guy was great and had freakish skills, Ive never seen from many players. You could draft through 100 guys and not find another ST like player. He was like what Secretariat was to horse racing.. maybe. I like RD, like all our safeties and hope we use them in the right situations and get our DB/CB's worked through. I think we will be ok on D this year. I thought we would lose a lot defensive with all the changes early but now am not thinking that so much. I think a big change you will see this year is a huge jump in forced turnovers by our D. We lacked that so much in the past 2 years our D was good but didnt cause many turnovers. Horton will be huge there. Doughty can make solid tackles and end possible big gains or TD's. They will all play a role and helping and reading each other is key.

I'm sorry if Reed Doughty is your guy, but that is one guy I don't like on our defense. Now this profootballfocus.com website is very interesting. Laron Landry had a GREAT rookie year playing SS. Then the following when he moved to FS he was decent as well. This past year he sucked though, but so did everything else.

I think Blatche let the "you have to pressure the QB" talk get to him and sacrificed a few things to do that. Like we couldn't stop the run anymore and we played alot more zone which I think Laron is not accustomed to.

I don't know about Reed Doughty. Didn't like him ever since TO lit him up for 4 TDs. To the guy that posted his stats from that website...well those stats expose him. 90.3 QB rating against him and 68.0% QB completion percentage against him is not good. Laron Landry stats are horrible, but he is playing the wrong position. Doughty don't have an excuse. We need someone better back there.

I am not sure it was RD who got real burnt against TO I am pretty sure if it is the 2008 game that Springs was the main culprit .. though I may be wrong .

I like this signing . I know it is probably a one year deal but it gives him another chance to make an impact .

I'm saying when he's playing where a safety should play (read: not 30 yards off the ball) he makes plays. They bring him up close to the LOS because he's good in run support. When he tries to make plays starting from 30 off the ball is when he makes mistakes. When he tries to make plays starting from where a safety should start, he makes them.

Yeah, he got torched on some double moves, but that was because he was trying to get where he needed to be to make the tackle. If he started at a normal safety depth, he'd have been right there and wouldn't have gotten torched.

I call BS on that one. Landry was bad all last year, and it didn't matter if he was playing SS or FS, it didn't matter if he was playing 30 yards off the ball or 1 yard off the ball, he was terrible.

Hell, when he played at SS in the Dallas game the first thing he did was let Jason Witten outrun him for an 80 yard catch ... JASON WITTEN ... 80 YARDS! He was terrible at tackling anything, in the passing game he couldn't cover himself with a blanket, and saying that all of his problems were simply because he was playing in the wrong position (the position he played in college and most scouts had him listed as) is a perversion of the truth.

Is this anything more than him just signing the one year tender? The media outlets are saying it's just the tender he signed, but everyone on here is talking like it was a longer deal, plus the wording on the release says the details are not yet disclosed, which is what makes me think maybe the media just doesn't know ... as usual.

I'm hearing its a 1 year tender deal.

he's no SEAN TAYLOR by any means, but i think he fits the FREE safety position very well. DO WORK, REED!!!

This post is so full of fail. What are we going to do as fans of a franchise? compare every single player on our team to Sean Taylor? Loved the guy, met the guy, but he's dead and its time to move on, time to stop invoking his name at every possible opportunity, let the dead rest. Saying "oh he's no sean taylor" isn't doing Sean any respect or honor, it's trivializing him as a man and what he meant to people. Reed's a nice guy and I'm sure he knows he doesn't possess the physical abilities and football skills that Sean had, nor is he trying to.

I am not sure it was RD who got real burnt against TO I am pretty sure if it is the 2008 game that Springs was the main culprit .. though I may be wrong .

I like this signing . I know it is probably a one year deal but it gives him another chance to make an impact .

Reed was deep cover for at least 3, pretty sure all 4 of those touchdowns. *edit* and he was nowhere to be seen in the area of those plays.

This post is so full of fail. What are we going to do as fans of a franchise? compare every single player on our team to Sean Taylor? Loved the guy, met the guy, but he's dead and its time to move on, time to stop invoking his name at every possible opportunity, let the dead rest. Saying "oh he's no sean taylor" isn't doing Sean any respect or honor, it's trivializing him as a man and what he meant to people. Reed's a nice guy and I'm sure he knows he doesn't possess the physical abilities and football skills that Sean had, nor is he trying to.

No one is comparing everyone on our defense to ST. People are only comparing the guys who have played FS to him, which is a legit comparison. And it's not trivializing; we were spoiled at FS because of Taylor, and as a fan base, have set the bar high for the next few free safeties that we bring in. That's why there is always talk of who the best safety in the draft is, who the best FA is, etc. We want someone who can do a respectable job of replacing him. That's one of the highest honors I can think of: to be considered the standard that everyone else is now expecting or trying to reach.

That being said, Reed is a much better SS than FS, and he will be used in that manner. We have other players who can fill the role of centerfielder much better than Reed can. Nothing against him, it's just not his strong suit.

I don't know about Reed Doughty. Didn't like him ever since TO lit him up for 4 TDs. To the guy that posted his stats from that website...well those stats expose him. 90.3 QB rating against him and 68.0% QB completion percentage against him is not good. Laron Landry stats are horrible, but he is playing the wrong position. Doughty don't have an excuse. We need someone better back there.

Springs was the guy for at least 2 of them, and PP was one and Reed was one, as I recall.

Archived