Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins Still want to trade Haynesworth

OsaSkinsFan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/24/report-redskins-still-want-to-trade-haynesworth/

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan hasn't backed away from his emphatic statement that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth will not be traded. But reports keep surfacing that the Redskins want to trade him.

The latest report comes from Jason Reid of the Washington Post, who writes, citing "people with knowledge of the situation," that the Redskins still would prefer to trade Haynesworth before the season.

If Haynesworth doesn't get traded he's going to be behind his teammates in learning the new defense. Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett says Haynesworth has already missed a lot of valuable time in the offseason program.

"When I first got here, we met on a daily basis with the players, we did walk-throughs three times a week with the players . . . so it was a process," Haslett said. "And it wasn't you walk in and one day you know [everything]. It was probably a two-month process just to get 'em lined up right. . . .

"So to walk in off the street and to think you're going to know . . . this is one of these defenses that you just don't walk in and think you're going to learn right away. It's not that easy."

Haslett says of Haynesworth's decision to skip voluntary workouts, "It's not right, it's just the way it is."

- Are there any real suitors out there that will pay what he is worth? If not, stop talking about it already....this is getting ridiculous...

The thing is, the Redskins really aren't talking about it. The reporters are the ones that keep drumming up this story because there is nothing going on right now with the Redskins.

Jason Reid's boss wouldn't be too happy with him if he had nothing that grabbed anyone's attention regarding the Redskins.

Here is the story. Fat Albert doesn't have to attend. But the Redskins would like him to attend. They are not happy he's not here in camp. Did I miss anything?

Quoting Jason Reid, is like me quoting my 3 year old niece....especially when all he ever has is infamous "anonymous people that are supposedly close to the situation"....journalism today as we know it is a freaking JOKE!!!!!!

:doh: I would have thought by now most media outlets know that J. Reid is simply a rumor starter with no true news to offer. He is consistently behind other news experts (and ES :)) and fabricates sources to continue airing this garbage. He's simply :beatdeadhorse: and refuses to let this mess die with Haynesworth. Dude need to shut the :censored: already. Maybe Reid trying to stir pot or something, given the fact that apparently Shanny/Allen doesn't throw him a bone or two so he actually writes about something concrete (as opposed to writing foolish and useless gibberish).

Furthermore, why would PFT listen to Reid? :insane: Shanny has said he is not trading Haynesworth, so I'm going to believe him over Reid and his "sources" :fortune: :silly:

Even though i am tired of all these reports and don't pay no mind to it, I personally think we are going ot trade Haynesworth this offseason (that is if anyone wants him) I think some of Shanahan's latest comments is going to rub Haynesworth the wrong way and he may just skip out of training camp leading to us phoning other teams for a trade. I mean I wanted Haynesworth at first, but if the price is right then I wouldn't mind trading him.

Well there is Haslett's quote, who to the best of my recollection has not made any comment to the media on this situation up until now. Haslett is basically saying Al is way behind the curve at this point, and alluding to the fact that he might not be able to catch up at all. This quote does change my perspective on the situation a bit. If Haslett really believes what he is saying, then how can he justify letting Al step right in as if he has been there since day one. Is that fair to the guys that have been?

I predict they will trade AH to the Vikes once they get confirmation that Farve is coming back. Farve means another SB run and with the Williams suspended, they will need someone to help plug up the middle until they get back.

But I really don't care. I would take a 7th rounder for that Fat @ss at this point.

I've stopped with the "bash the media" instant response to every story or column that doesn't paint the Skins in the rosiest of pictures however this "story" shows what really is wrong with the way modern "reporters" view what a story is.

To me anyway, whether or not the Redskins "prefer" to still trade Fat Al is not a story. There is no news here. There is a story if the Redskins were in an active discussion with Team X to trade Fat Al.

Everyone is trying so hard to be "an insider" that they've forgotten what it's like to be a reporter and journalist.

I agree that big Al should be a "team leader" and buddy-up with team mates while learning a new system but it is still not mandatory for him to be here.

Coaches should expect these "snubs" and plan for them particularly if the individuals are talented enough to upgrade the effectiveness of their imposed schemes.

The coaching staff should have a plan B to get key players who choose not to attend these optional courses up to speed.

Trade? Sure why not, every player is "expendable" but it makes no sense to relinquish value for a player because of spite.

Haynesworth has been paid so the only motivation he has is pride. Outwardly, it appears that his pride is self centered but if he succeeds in achieving his self proclaimed goal of "being the best" using his own methods of training then who's to complain?

Well there is Haslett's quote, who to the best of my recollection has not made any comment to the media on this situation up until now. Haslett is basically saying Al is way behind the curve at this point, and alluding to the fact that he might not be able to catch up at all. This quote does change my perspective on the situation a bit. If Haslett really believes what he is saying, then how can he justify letting Al step right in as if he has been there since day one. Is that fair to the guys that have been?

Also found this Haslett quote interesting:

"All I know is this: We've got enough guys and we're fine," Haslett said. "We'll be fine."

Sounds to me like the team has already moved on without AH. At this point, I'll be surprised if AH is NOT traded.

And, Skins won't get good value for him either.

I hope they keep AH and make him play second team until he can prove he is ready to play. Nobody is going to give the skins good value for him after the draft and especially since he is showing his true self. Trading him now would be giving in to AH and telling the rest of the team if you holdout and put yourself above the team, you win. Not in this new regime.

Maybe we will trade AH and acquire TO all in one day and this message board will literally explode.

Exactly what I was thinking. Have there ever been two stories with less substance behind it that the media has continued to run with? We're NOT signing TO and we're not trading Haynesworth. I can't believe these articles continue to be written.

Also found this Haslett quote interesting:

"All I know is this: We've got enough guys and we're fine," Haslett said. "We'll be fine."

Sounds to me like the team has already moved on without AH. At this point, I'll be surprised if AH is NOT traded.

And, Skins won't get good value for him either.

Thats standard Coach 101 preseaon media speak. "I'm only going to focus on the guys who are here" "The guys we have are working hard and I'm confident in them" "I dont worry about guys who have opted to stay at home". etc etc.

Fact is if Haynesworth turns up for camp in shape and is prepared to work and not be too much of a distraction he makes us a much better defense in a 4-3 front or a 3-4 front.

Also, as you point out we are unlikely to get good value for him so unless he is intent on being a major TO style pain in the bum we should keep him. I would want a 1st round pick as a minimum and I doubt we will get offered that. If he DOES pull a TO act then take the 2nd and put it down to experience.

I predict they will trade AH to the Vikes once they get confirmation that Farve is coming back. Farve means another SB run and with the Williams suspended, they will need someone to help plug up the middle until they get back.

But I really don't care. I would take a 7th rounder for that Fat @ss at this point.

The Williams are not getting suspended. They got another injunction which should take them through this season.

Archived