Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alchohol and sickness

757SeanTaylor21

just a quick question fellas. right now im sick as a dog with no cold/flu medicine and my roommate suggested takin a shot of tequila which is 80% alchohol. his theory is tht the alchohol will kill the germs in the body thats making me sick or atleast make feel better a little...is there any proof of this or will it actually make me better?

24 hour pharmacy sounds like a better option to me, personally, though i have definitely tried killing germs with large quantities of booze. funny thing is that i still ended up puking and woke up with a headache. :)

No for the most part,though a good hot toddy is always in order,or throw it in with some tomato juice and Worcester sauce

Got any apple cider vinegar..or dill pickle juice?

hot tea with lemon and honey?

A good steam in the shower?

Tequila and lime will give some vitamin C,but it ain't gonna give much relief

If the alcohol does make you feel better, it certainly isn't because it's directly treating your illness. Unless you're suffering from alcohol withdrawals, in which case, yeah, booze would do something other than make you drunk.

Also, where the hell did you get 160 proof tequila?

Heh. I remember back when I was bartending,a friend and I came up with the idea to drink screwdrivers to help get rid of the colds we had,(courtesy of the tourists). The theory,(very loose one at that), was that the Alcohol would get the virus or whatever looped,then the Vitamin C from the orange juice would bury the ****er.

Obviously didn't work but testing the theory made sure we didn't care for awhile. twa as some good advice there btw.

I suggest using common sense.

No, drinking alcohol is not going to kill germs of your illness. It will mask your symptoms and make you forget about it. It also might lower your immune system faculties making you more sick.

Go get some cold medicine. And don't mix it with alcohol, especially if there is acetaminophen in the medicine.

If you look at night time cough remedies, many of them contain alchohol. I have for a long time combined the night time cold meds with a (meaning ONE) shot. I had asked my doc what will happen if I do that, and he said it will make you more drowsy. My thinking has long been if I am miserable with a cold and in a position where I can take night time meds, I have already decided the way I would be most comfortable is if I could go to sleep for the time it takes me to turn the corner on the sickness. Drowsy is then not a problem. It is the preferred status.

So back to your question about a shot. I say if your intention is to go to sleep, and a night cap will help, then take it. If you are drinking to get drunk, you are probably going to lower your immune system and end up in a worse state than when you started with a hangover to boot.

Make sure you are drinking enough fluids with no alchohol.

I suggest using common sense.

No, drinking alcohol is not going to kill germs of your illness. It will mask your symptoms and make you forget about it. It also might lower your immune system faculties making you more sick.

Go get some cold medicine. And don't mix it with alcohol, especially if there is acetaminophen in the medicine.

Doesn't acetaminophen do basically the same thing?

It will mask your symptoms and make you forget about it. It also might lower your immune system faculties making you more sick.

50/50 whiskey water

enough honey to slightly alter viscosity

hot buttered rum

kiss of lemon juice

heat in microwave

Does it cure anything??? No, but lay down and get some sleep because rest does help.

Now who is your provider???

Doesn't acetaminophen do basically the same thing?

You are right in the respect that Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a palliative treatement (meaning it is aimed at reducing severity of symptoms) for colds, pain, etc. However, I do not believe that it lowers the immune system like alcohol has a "tendency" to do.

The reason I threw in the acetaminophen warning is that a lot of cold medicines contain acetaminophen. Some geniuses like to drink in addition to taking Tylenol and/or cold medication which is a terrible idea unless you want to fast track your way to cirrhosis of the liver :D

Lesson of the day, if you are drinking, or have a bad hangover, take Ibuprofen (Advil). It is metabolized through a different pathway of the body and by taking that, you are making sure that your liver isn't overloaded with metabolizing acetaminophen AND alcohol...just alcohol.

Thank-you. I shall be here all day.

I was about to post this. It's like your body is a blade that needs to be sterilized. I wonder if his friend suggest shining a UV light down his throat.

I prefer the autoclave. I believe they make those in human sizes, right?

excuse me, i meant to say 80 proof tequila. but readin all this i didnt take the shot i just went to the store got some nyquil cause i wanted to be asleep, apple and orange juice and called it a wrap. but now even though i didnt take it im curious still...on a open cut you pour alchohol on it to clean it so it doesnt get infected...so really why couldnt it do the same thing witha cold? now by all means im not saying its possible...and i hardly even drink much let alone im done gettin drunk but when it came to open wounds i always heard alchohol is a good cleaning agent.

acetaminophen will take care of any headache you are having but heres a shortlist of things you'll need depending on symptoms

headache: tylenol/motrin

runny nose: antihistamine = claritin/zyrtec/benadryl (drowzy)

congested: sudafed, for the good stuff ask at pharmacy counter

dry cough: delsym

productive cough: mucinex/ mucinex dm, drink a lot of water

sore throat: no cure, just take a pain reliever and/or keep it moist with lozenges or cough drops.

hope this helps.

excuse me, i meant to say 80 proof tequila. but readin all this i didnt take the shot i just went to the store got some nyquil cause i wanted to be asleep, apple and orange juice and called it a wrap. but now even though i didnt take it im curious still...on a open cut you pour alchohol on it to clean it so it doesnt get infected...so really why couldnt it do the same thing witha cold? now by all means im not saying its possible...and i hardly even drink much let alone im done gettin drunk but when it came to open wounds i always heard alchohol is a good cleaning agent.

Glad to hear common sense prevailed in this case!!! It's the small victories in life....

As for alcohol for treatment, there is a world of difference in application of alcohol (which is stronger than the alcohol we drink) to a topical wound like a cut, and ingesting it as a means to combat illness. When you ingest alcohol, there are many other body processes that are affected. In addition, the alcohol doesn't specifically target the "disease" cells in your body, it just makes you....drunk.

Think about it, you use betadine and peroxide on cuts too. Would you ingest those? No.

Archived