Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 51st State of America : Puerto Rico? H.R. 2499 Passes House

Ellis

On a serious note... I fully support Puerto Rico becoming a state. I think they would make a great addition to our union.

One thought though, how well would they embrace becoming Americans. I know quite a few people that have a lot of PR pride. They call themselves Puerto Rican with pride and wave the Puerto Rican flag with pride. I'd hope they would call themselves American and wave our flag with as much pride as they have in the past.

On a serious note... I fully support Puerto Rico becoming a state. I think they would make a great addition to our union.

One thought though, how well would they embrace becoming Americans. I know quite a few people that have a lot of PR pride. They call themselves Puerto Rican with pride and wave the Puerto Rican flag with pride. I'd hope they would call themselves American and wave our flag with as much pride as they have in the past.

Well, that flag would become their state flag and I'd hope they would wave it with pride.

PR already relies on the USA for a lot so I don't see much changing for them.

As for civic changes, I'm not completely schooled on how the country operates.

This news is actually become an interesting project to research this week.

Also - why the **** are Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut and Massachusetts all individual states. **** that. Combine 'em.

If you tried that, the civil insurrection in New England would be visible from space. I could see MA annexing RI, though.

I also could see MD annexing DE. The corporate law implications would be staggering. :D

Why not admit PR and demote either AZ or AK back to territory status?

:whoknows: they are Americans, even if they aren't a state. Their pride would be no different than Texans, Carolinians, or Virginians state pride (real Virginians).

edit: and to people saying Puerto Rico is a country, it isn't, and it never has been. Not trying to deride the Puerto Ricans, that's just a historical fact.

Actually, West Virginia left Virginia. They had a thing against slaves, so they joined the Union.

Hmm I thought it had something to do with them not being able to get news in a timely manner because of the mountains in the way and lack of roads over them. At least that's what the history channel said...

They all live in West Harlem

Hmm I thought it had something to do with them not being able to get news in a timely manner because of the mountains in the way and lack of roads over them. At least that's what the history channel said...

History channel also runs shows based on Nastradamous predictions.

But, you could be right. I really dunno. Never cared enough to look into it.

I like a round number like 50... hell even 52 would be better than 51. If we add Puerto Rico to the union, we'll have to kick one of the other states out.

We could get rid of all the crazies and old people in Florida.

florida.gif

Also - why the **** are Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut and Massachusetts all individual states. **** that. Combine 'em.

You're showing your Texan intellect Duckus. :silly:

They're all distinct entities:

ME: Pot-growing survivalist militiamen

NH: Tax-free conservative gun-toting wack jobs

VT: Hippies and farmers and farmer hippies, and did I mention hippies?

MA: Progressive Puritans with a mean streak

RI: 85% of population has never left; home of "Mole People of Westerly"

CT: NE's stepchild - not in NE, not in NY; really should be paved over and forgotten

How's this for a deal:

PR and DC are admitted to Union

CT is released

TX split in two (Austin and then everything else)

NM and AZ are given to Mexico for draft picks in 2012

= 50 states and no need to change the flag

They are Americans. Lot of Texans do the same thing.

Nah, we don't need any more postage stamp states. Just retrocede the district back to Maryland.

This has gained a lot of traction over the years actually.

I doubt MD wants all the bull**** that comes with dealing with DC crime and poverty.

I'm kind of surprised (impressed) that some of our resident Republicans are OK with Puerto Rico becoming a state. In my mind, this is the right thing to do. Our Democratic principles should guide us here. People should have representation in their Governing body. No exceptions.

This has become an interesting research project.

The entire history of the US relationship with PR is fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

I'm Puerto Rican, and I lol'd when I read this.

Care to share your opinion on this issue?:cool:

You're showing your Texan intellect Duckus. :silly:

They're all distinct entities:

ME: Pot-growing survivalist militiamen

NH: Tax-free conservative gun-toting wack jobs

VT: Hippies and farmers and farmer hippies, and did I mention hippies?

MA: Progressive Puritans with a mean streak

RI: 85% of population has never left; home of "Mole People of Westerly"

CT: NE's stepchild - not in NE, not in NY; really should be paved over and forgotten

How's this for a deal:

PR and DC are admitted to Union

CT is released

TX split in two (Austin and then everything else)

NM and AZ are given to Mexico for draft picks in 2012

= 50 states and no need to change the flag

I disagree; we need CT for passage. Let's cut down all the trees and then release ME. It's an utterly useless state since it is way to cold to be a beach destination even in the summer. Even without the trees, Canada will probably pick it up for vet minimum plus incentives; they don't mind the cold.

Archived