Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 51st State of America : Puerto Rico? H.R. 2499 Passes House

Ellis

Connecticut: New Jersey of New England.
You haven't spent much time in Mass. then.

LOL, you're right. I only lived in Massachusetts for a decade.

Connecticut serves the same purpose for New England than New Jersey serves for the Mid-Atlantic: a major highway in and out.

Connecticut: New Jersey of New England.

So the Act hits the House floor today.

Let's see what happens. :)

Also... I heard Glen Beck took on the issue of PR becoming a state last night on his show and pretty much got all the facts wrong. Surprising. Did anyone see it?

This is just you being a homer. CT besides the parts closest to NYC pretty much suck. There are exceptions. Summer time in Ogunquit, Maine is awesome. The beach is great the weather is great, and there is lots of wonderful food.

Ahhhh, low blow, that hurts. To set the record straight here, I'm from VA; I'm just up here for a while. You let me borrow Sunday Ticket online though, so I'll take the hit.

CT is really only needed for passage to the states above. A flyover, exitless interstate would be fine. I like NE CT, despite having absolutely nothing of interest, the people are more southern-like in attitude (you can actually talk to the people around you) than anywhere else up here. I would actually say RI is more the NJ of New England, at least people wise.

Really, pretty much all of New England is sub-par. I would support a package deal for vast swaths of it to Canada for BC.

It'll be weird though if PR becomes a state - I'll have to get used to referring to Canada as the 52nd state.

So here we go!

U.S. House Poised to Take Historic Vote on H.R. 2499 - Puerto Rico Democracy Act

WASHINGTON, April 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. House is poised to vote today on H.R. 2499, the Puerto Rico Democracy Act, a bill that would help bring America's promise of self-determination to the U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico for the first time in 112 years, said Gov. Luis Fortuno (R-Puerto Rico).

"For the 112 years since Puerto Rico joined the United States as a territory, the question of our ultimate political status with our country has been a lingering question," said Gov. Fortuno. "The Puerto Rico Democracy Act would ask the people of Puerto Rico what they want the territory's political status to be through a fair, neutral and democratic process sponsored by Congress."

The question of Puerto Rico's ultimate status remains the U.S. territory's central, unresolved issue, and has consistently been a complicating factor in determining many federal policies for the island, Gov. Fortuno said. As an unincorporated territory, the four million U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico cannot vote for President, have no representation in the U.S. Senate and are represented in the U.S. House by one non-voting Resident Commissioner, he said.

Under H.R. 2499, the territorial government could conduct plebiscites asking voters if they wish to maintain or change the island's current political status. If a majority of voters want a change, a plebiscite could be held to ask their preference among the other three constitutionally valid options: independence, national sovereignty in association with the United States, and statehood.

H.R. 2499 is co-sponsored by a bipartisan group of 180 members of Congress. The bill is cost-neutral and non-binding, meaning a result in favor of any specific status change would be subject to further congressional consideration.

"A core premise of the bill is that Congress will be better able to decide what action, if any, is appropriate on the issue once it knows if Puerto Ricans want the current status, or one of the possible alternatives. I am hopeful that the U.S. House will approve this legislation and help bring true self-determination to the U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico."

Puerto Rico has been a U.S. territory for 112 years, and its residents have been U.S. citizens since 1917. With nearly 4 million residents, in population Puerto Rico is larger than Oregon, and slightly smaller than Kentucky.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-house-poised-to-take-historic-vote-on-hr-2499---puerto-rico-democracy-act-92420239.html

Really, pretty much all of New England is sub-par. I would support a package deal for vast swaths of it to Canada for BC.

You're just seeing things through Connecticut eyes. It must be depressing. :silly:

It'll be weird though if PR becomes a state - I'll have to get used to referring to Canada as the 52nd state.

Nah - just call PR the 52nd.

You're just seeing things through Connecticut eyes. It must be depressing. :silly:

Nah - just call PR the 52nd.

Well, if we're going there I work in the 'burbs in Boston. So, I see it through CT & MA eyes, and you're right. It is a depressing place. :D

I don't have an issue with it if they pay their fair share of money into the government slush funds and receive fair funding back.

And I am born and raiased Virginian. I take issue with the slavery but the history tied to the state is what it is. There are more good things than bad things. If you choose to ignore the good that is on you.

I love the state and the vast geographical regions it has. I can see mountains, lakes, rivers treams, beaches, swamps, marshes and big cities all in one state. It is beautiful.

H.R. 2499 passes, moving Puerto Rico one step closer to statehood

http://www.examiner.com/x-34929-Manhattan-Conservative-Examiner~y2010m4d30-HR-2499-passes-moving-Puerto-Rico-one-step-closer-to-statehood

It's only a first step, but for better or worse the wheels have been set in motion. Yesterday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 2499, which puts Puerto Ricans on the fast track to statehood, should that be the decision residents of that island territory make going forward. The vote was 223 to 169, with one vote of "present" by Rep. Louise Slaughter, of New York.

The measure offers Puerto Rico, which has been a U.S. territory for 112 years, a two-step vote. Step one would ask Puerto Ricans, including those living in the United States, whether they want to remain a territorial commonwealth or would prefer to change their status. A vote for change, which is likely, would lead to a second vote with three options: statehood, independence, or an independent "free association" with the U.S. Again, voters given these options would most likely choose statehood.

Supporters say the measure, which is non-binding, gives citizens of the island the right to self-determination. Opponents say it is is a thinly veiled maneuver to impose statehood on a population that doesn't want it. As noted here, Democrats are confident that, should Puerto Rico opt for statehood, the two new senators and Congress members who would be seated as a result would join their caucus.

Here in New York, the vote thrust into vivid relief a schism between Congress members who themselves hail from the island territory. Bronx Rep. Jose Serrano favored passage of the measure, calling it a vital step to ending what he termed "colonial rule." Brooklyn Rep. Nydia Velazquez, usually an ally of Serrano, called the measure a "disgrace," "shameful" and "appalling." Enlarging on her position, Velazquez is quoted by the New York Daily News as saying, "It is baffling that the statehood option, which lost in 1967, in 1993 and again in 1998, is now allowed to scheme its way to victory."

It is worth emphasizing that if Puerto Ricans were to select statehood, Congress would still have to vote to admit the island to the union as the 51st state. It is also worth noting that Puerto Rico is currently facing a banking crisis of its own, which has plunged the territory into financial distress that makes the recession here seem like a walk in the park.

Archived