Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

in a tough spot (Coaching related)

rdsknbill

I like how you discuss getting all these kids in trouble over weed while you are drinking something far more devious and devastating to human existence.

By saying that you argue for the prohibition of alcohol just as much as for the legalization of pot. Not saying you're wrong, I certainly agree with that because it's a fact, but alcohol isn't going anywhere (I hope) and marijuana acceptance seems to be increasingly on the rise. It's just not the relevant issue here, although if the kids were drinking (which they most likely are if I know anything about kids) then you could make the point that maybe we should be more concerned about their drinking than smoking, but still. I like what you are saying though.

Well I will give you the opinion of an actual high school senior as most of your opinion's come from the adult side of things. It's pot. At least in my high-school I would say that at least over half of the Senior boys in my grade smoke everyday. In my opinion a high school student smoking weed on a regular basis is no shocker. If you believe that a high school student isn't drinking, then you are very out of touch with reality. I know I will most likely get flamed for this, but in my opinion it really is no big deal. These are the kind of things teenagers do, coming from my school if you don't drink or smoke then you are in the small minority.

Kids drink and smoke pot. I used to drink and smoke pot. You used to drink and smoke pot.

Drinking and smoking pot is awesome. Thats why we do it.

Seriously, anything you do or say, it doesnt matter, they will continue to drink and smoke pot.

It doesnt make them "bad kids", its makes them normal.

When it starts to interfere with the team, then maybe you step in.

Well I will give you the opinion of an actual high school senior as most of your opinion's come from the adult side of things. It's pot. At least in my high-school I would say that at least over half of the Senior boys in my grade smoke everyday. In my opinion a high school student smoking weed on a regular basis is no shocker. If you believe that a high school student isn't drinking, then you are very out of touch with reality. I know I will most likely get flamed for this, but in my opinion it really is no big deal. These are the kind of things teenagers do, coming from my school if you don't drink or smoke then you are in the small minority.

Yes, teenagers have fun, get drunk, get high, try to have lots of sex. Adults are supposed to tell you not to. Believe it or not one day you will tell your kid not to do anything fun. No one wants to be the 'older' guy getting drunk and high with teenagers and no one wants that person to be their kid. We want you to learn from your mistakes, but we don't want you to make a mistake so big that it ruins your life. Examples, getting high once and a while is okay, dropping out of school because you are a pothead is not okay. Getting drunk is okay, getting a DUI (or much worse) is not okay.

I think it depends on what you are trying to acomplish. If you are worried about your career, they I believe you should tell the AD that there are rumors about drinking and drugs and all the other things teenage boys due to themselves and other people. If you want a clear conscious, give the kids a general don't do bad things speach. If you want to reach the kids, talk to them man to man one at a time (all of them, not just the rumored few)

Do both of these.

15 years ago you could have just talked to the team, but these days it's not simple. Anything, and I mean anything that happens to develop from even one kid smoking pot on the team is now your responsability. It makes no difference if it's right or wrong, if you did or did not do something, it's now your problem. Not the kids and not their parents yours. And because the school system will give the impression of having deep pockets any lawsuits will just come back to you.

Is it right? Hell no. But it's the reality of modern times, the war on this and that, and too many stinking lawyers.

The parent who told you this did you no favors, and the best advice I can give you is to never socialize with parents of students or players.

First I'd remove the name of the team from an internet message board posting.

Second I'd consult with the AD. Now you know of possible indiscretions you can't ignore it and the AD is the right person to advise how the school should handle it.

I don't think it's a huge deal. It's just kids being kids. It probably won't ruin any of their lives more than drinking would. That said, I'd talk to the team and say something like, "Hey, word on the street is you guys are smoking pot. If I ever find out these rumors are true, you're off the team. Watch your ass."

Also, talking to the AD is a good idea, just to free yourself from any liability if something terrible happens (which probably won't).

I would talk to the kids about a rumor you have heard, but don't be specific or name anyone.

Talk about the athletic policy (which I'm sure says no alcohol or drugs) and that they need to abide by the rules or they will face

consequences.

I would also discuss this with the AD. If crap hits the fan and it is revealed that you

knew about the rumors but did not take action, you could get into major trouble and

your coaching reputation ruined.

I like how you discuss getting all these kids in trouble over weed while you are drinking something far more devious and devastating to human existence.

I like how you don't get it :)

The kids are going against athletic policy...and, um, breaking the LAW. The coach is not. Pretty simple.

The problem as I see it:

If you talk to the kids first you leave yourself open to parents who will sue you and the school for not informing them. Especially if one of the kids keeps doing it and gets busted or worse.

There are too many people out there who need a scapegoat to blame or are looking for a reason to sue that you have to protect yourself from them.

It's difficult, because the right thing to do in my mind is to be the mentor and leader a coach is supposed to be and talk to them yourself. BUT, in today's over litigious society, you simply have to go by the book to keep your own ass covered.

~Bang

Bill,

As a high school football coach I understand your predicament. If I were you I'd go to your athletic director and say, "Hey, I heard rumors some kids on my team were using. I hope that you'll let me address the situation first before you get involved, but I think it's extremely important that you know about the situation. I want to keep you in the loop."

That way it allows you to be free of the "should I or shouldn't I" dilemma, and most ADs, since it's a rumor, will probably allow you to deal with it. Could it backfire? Sure. But I doubt it.

These kids are High School age. The kids in question are mostly Juniors and Seniors. It's funny, last night I got a text from one of my captains and he asked if I was at home. I said "yea why?" and he and my other senior captain showed up in the same car. Anyway, I spoke to them about it and they said that there are some smokers on the team, but it isn't that out of control. Now I have known these boys for most of their lives, they trust me, and I trust them. The pretty much gave me same names of the players that I suspected.

While I appreciate a lot of the advice given here. I think that I am going to give the generic talk to the team about drugs and tobacco (a lot of dippers). However, after that is done, I am going to cherry pick players during practice and have a quiet one on one "Come to Jesus" with them.

I also have "Meet the team" night tomorrow night, where I will address these issues with all of the parents as well. Again, a generic statement about zero tolerance and following the guidelines laid out by the athletic department and the coaching staff

These kids are High School age. The kids in question are mostly Juniors and Seniors. It's funny, last night I got a text from one of my captains and he asked if I was at home. I said "yea why?" and he and my other senior captain showed up in the same car. Anyway, I spoke to them about it and they said that there are some smokers on the team, but it isn't that out of control. Now I have known these boys for most of their lives, they trust me, and I trust them. The pretty much gave me same names of the players that I suspected.

While I appreciate a lot of the advice given here. I think that I am going to give the generic talk to the team about drugs and tobacco (a lot of dippers). However, after that is done, I am going to cherry pick players during practice and have a quiet one on one "Come to Jesus" with them.

I also have "Meet the team" night tomorrow night, where I will address these issues with all of the parents as well. Again, a generic statement about zero tolerance and following the guidelines laid out by the athletic department and the coaching staff

I think that is a good course of action (not that you need my approval)

Go to the AD. Or whoever will be evaluating your actions on this issue. At best, you have support in what you do. At worst, it's a good way to CYA.

Also, what they do away from school, you can't control. But anything school/team related... "oh I forgot that in my car/bag/pockets/parking lot" doesn't cut it. Zero tolerance. Best to make sure they know that right away. Getting the sherrif's dept / police to do a sweep through the school and parking lot with a drug dog might help.

Archived