Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

in a tough spot (Coaching related)

rdsknbill

So I have recently been awarded the head coaching job at the local High School for Boy's lacrosse. We had our first week of practice last week and things are shaping up for another good season.

Last night one of my good friends, and lacrosse parent of one of my players, asks if I wanted to go out for a beer. Anyone on here that know me knows what my answer was.

So here is the conundrum. My friend proceeds to tell me that he had found out his son had been partaking of "mother nature's gifts". He discovered this through a text message he had seen on his son's cell phone. He immediately straightened out the situation. Then he tells me that there at least 6-8 players on my current team that are regular pot smokers. Now I am a paid contract employee of the school and have been coaching lacrosse in this community for nearly ten years.

Do I take this to the Athletic Director? Do I handle this privately, between me and the kids? What about the parents (many who I am also friends with)???

I know that there are varying opinions on marijuana use on this site (I used to partake back in the day) I don't want to appear as a hypocrite, but I am really having a a tough time with this.

Thanks in advance :)

That's what my assistant coaches suggested.

:ols: I think its the right thing to do...smoking pot is ****ing stupid, and if they continue, then I'd tell the school. You can say you warned them privately first to knock off the stupid ****, but they continued so you thought it became a school issue.

my coach had a meeting with my team when I played JV basketball because one of the kids got caught getting a hj on the ride home from a school retreat (it was a christian school). :ols:

chances are, some probably have some pot in their equipment bags.

Yeah i agree about talking to them first and giving them a chance to stop. Honestly though, they probably won't. It might make them more careful about not getting caught though, which basically accomplishes the same thing. I would be careful about what you say to them though. I'm not sure if you can get in trouble for knowing about this and not reporting it, but don't take any chances. So when you talk to them, try not to say explicitly that you know. Maybe just that you've heard a rumor or something like that (which is basically true right?).

I am incredibly pro-marijuana and fully in support of legalization, and it sounds to me (at least) like you seem sensible enough to not buy into the whole "reefer madness" thing, but regardless of your personal feelings about it I realize your job may not allow for you to be dismissive of the situation. It's certainly a tough matter.

I personally think you have to look out for numero uno (yourself) which means looking out for what is best for your program too. That said, I think you should talk to the kids privately and give them a chance to explain themselves and give them the choice of the sport or the bong.

I certainly don't think marijuana and sports have to be independent of each other; personally after a hard workout and run pot helps me relax my body and helps my appetite so I can get a decent amount of nutrition. But these are kids we're talking about and with legislation the way it is, you knowing about it and letting it go could have job implications for you and so you have to do what you think is best for you, just like everyone else does.

Of course this is just the two cents of a young stoner, but I hope you find a reasonable solution to this. Also, best of luck to you with your new job.

I would approach them seperately. I think you would have more of an impact in an one on one setting. Teenage boys have a pack mentality (especially when on a team) they will laugh it off as a group. If you tell the parents, you may lose the team. Is it just marijuana you are worried about, because I am willing to bet they are also drinking.

Make sure they know the difference between shwag and the dank. Then inform them that the number one side effect of marijuana is jail.

Further explain no matter how cool they think they are they are more than likely smoking schwag, and there is no benefit of schwag that outwieghs jail time.

I certainly don't think marijuana and sports have to be independent of each other; personally after a hard workout and run pot helps me relax my body and helps my appetite so I can get a decent amount of nutrition.

I wonder how I and everyone else in society manages to get a "decent" amount of nutrition after working out without being a pothead...

I would approach them seperately. I think you would have more of an impact in an one on one setting. Teenage boys have a pack mentality (especially when on a team) they will laugh it off as a group. If you tell the parents, you may lose the team. Is it just marijuana you are worried about, because I am willing to bet they are also drinking.

Oh I have heard about some of their parties. and there is definitely drinking going on.

I'm going to go against the grain here.....

I think you immediately take this to the athletic director. 2 reasons, 1- if things go wrong and this becomes a big deal and then it comes out that you knew all along, there goes 10 years of your hard work and dedication. 2- If I was one of the parents and you even suspected my kid was doing something illegal and didnt tell me and then it comes to light I would be very upset.

I agree that you are in a tough spot but sometimes the right thing is the hard thing.

-my 2cents-

Vehemently disagree with the "talk to the kids first" technique. If it really hit the fan after that, the kids could say you knew about it, and then you could possibly get in deep trouble for not going to the administors or parents.

Seems to me you have two choices:

1) Just totally go public and tell the school and the parents.

2) Act as if you never heard about it. Put it out of your mind. It's just a rumor anyway.

Personally, I think #2 is your best bet. It keeps you out of the fray.

I'm going to go against the grain here.....

I think you immediately take this to the athletic director. 2 reasons, 1- if things go wrong and this becomes a big deal and then it comes out that you knew all along, there goes 10 years of your hard work and dedication. 2- If I was one of the parents and you even suspected my kid was doing something illegal and didnt tell me and then it comes to light I would be very upset.

I agree that you are in a tough spot but sometimes the right thing is the hard thing.

-my 2cents-

but there's no evidence, it's second hand information and it could be sour grapes. I think it's worse to falsely accuse then to ignore it. Giving the lecture is doing something.

Vehemently disagree with the "talk to the kids first" technique. If it really hit the fan after that, the kids could say you knew about it, and then you could possibly get in deep trouble for not going to the administors or parents.

Not really, the kids don't have to know why they are getting a drug lecture, make it some kind of generic conduct lecture. They just need to know the rules of the team and how they will be enforced in the future.

Ignoring the issue would be failing to do your job, coaching teens isn't just about the sport imho.

You have a luxury that teachers don't as a coach. You regularly have talks with the entire team at the end of a normal practice day. I would suggest that at the next practice, you mention to them that you have heard from anonymous sources that some people on the team are smoking pot, that it is not a good idea to do so for XXXX reasons, you hope that if anybody is doing it or considers doing it that they change their minds, and then remind them that regardless of if they are doing it or not, if you find out first hand about anybody doing drugs or possessing drugs on the team you are required to report it to the school administration, so if they do partake in that activity, keep it away from school and lacrosse.

You don't have evidence at this point, you have hearsay. Sometimes hearsay is enough to prompt telling the administration but thats usually in the case of the team tells you that Johnny has a pound of cocaine in his backpack in the locker room, or that Steve brought a gun to school today. If you tell the administration that you think that 6 or so kids on your team are smoking pot regularly they'll ask for names and ask what your evidence is. Saying "Frank Everystudent's dad told me about it" would just make the administrator say oh, ok, well I think every kid in the school is probably smoking pot but I don't have proof so come back to me when you do.

You should have a very general talk with the entire team without calling certain kids out. Just be like, "Look, there's a rumor going on about some of you smoking pot, and I just want to let you know that if you are caught with it from this point forward, you are off the team."

Don't go in there talking to specific kids, because you really don't have any proof.

Maybe tell the athletic director about the rumor (that's all it is at this point, bc you haven't literally seen them smoking), that you will talk to the group as a whole, and tell him what you're telling the kids- just to save your own butt later on.

Edit: haha, or exactly what the guy above me said

Seems to me you have two choices:

1) Just totally go public and tell the school and the parents.

2) Act as if you never heard about it. Put it out of your mind. It's just a rumor anyway.

Personally, I think #2 is your best bet. It keeps you out of the fray.

I think it depends on what you are trying to acomplish. If you are worried about your career, they I believe you should tell the AD that there are rumors about drinking and drugs and all the other things teenage boys due to themselves and other people. If you want a clear conscious, give the kids a general don't do bad things speach. If you want to reach the kids, talk to them man to man one at a time (all of them, not just the rumored few)

Archived