Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 43% have less than $10k for retirement

China

43% have less than $10k for retirement

By Chavon Sutton

March 9, 2010

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The percentage of American workers with virtually no retirement savings grew for the third straight year, according to a survey released Tuesday.

The percentage of workers who said they have less than $10,000 in savings grew to 43% in 2010, from 39% in 2009, according to the Employee Benefit Research Institute's annual Retirement Confidence Survey. That excludes the value of primary homes and defined-benefit pension plans.

Workers who said they had less than $1,000 jumped to 27%, from 20% in 2009.

Confidence in ability to save enough for a comfortable retirement hovered at 16% of respondents, the second lowest point in the 20-year history of the survey.

Click on the link for the full article

I did a report in high school about saving for retirement, and I've got plans to put aside at least $5k a year (more once I can afford it) for retirement as soon as I enter to workforce. It's really sad how few people even think about retirement savings, even if they can afford to.

How is that even possible? I mean, I know it's possible, I'm just shocked that it's true. Curious what percentage of people are below 30 and how they factor into that number.

Because, the median earnings for men in the US is around 45K. For women, its around 36k.

I tend to think that most people don't make enough to afford a house, kids, cars, etc and a solid retirement contribution.

I did a report in high school about saving for retirement, and I've got plans to put aside at least $5k a year (more once I can afford it) for retirement as soon as I enter to workforce. It's really sad how few people even think about retirement savings, even if they can afford to.

You would be surprised how many people don't even take advantage of employer matching. A guaranteed 100% return in the first year seems like a good deal.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I've always done 10% off the top (ingrained by my parents) and taken advantage of whatever employee matching there is. I have a pretty decent chunk of change socked away for my age. But this is also a pretty affluent area (in general) and there are more opportunities around here than say, the Kansas prairie.

If your income is low and you have no other source of support, it's also easy to get in over your head, even if you aren't foolish with your money.

Some of these people may be foolish, but others may just have not earned much and had unfortunate setbacks.

You would be surprised how many people don't even take advantage of employer matching. A guaranteed 100% return in the first year seems like a good deal.

Yeah that was a big part of my report actually. Your savings can really add up if your employer matches any percentage of it. If your savings gets up to $20-30k within the first couple years out of college, you've got a good shot at having well over $1,000,000 saved up by the time you retire.

This right here is the answer. Kids entering the workforce should be taught the imprtance of preparing for the future.

EDIT: Or what Kilmer said. :)

Sad. I thought it used to be a required class. Maybe it was just taught as part of home ec.

Then again in private school it was never mentioned. That said, I was taught the rule of 72 which is the best incentive I've seen to invest early and invest often.

What is this retirement you speak of?:paranoid:

Work, for the night is coming,

Work through the morning hours;

Work while the dew is sparkling,

Work ’mid springing flowers;

Work when the day grows brighter,

Work in the glowing sun;

Work, for the night is coming,

When man’s work is done.

Archived