Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happend to all the family friendly tv shows?

MattFancy

Ok so this is random as hell, but this tought came to me the other night. My fiancee and I were watching Nick at Nite and Family Matters was on. It brought back some good memories from my childhood. But it also made me realize how different tv was back in the '90s compared to now.

Back in the '90s I can remember watching Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Friends, Growing Pains, etc. It seemed that the main theme of those shows were family and friends. Yes looking back on these shows they were incredibly cheesy, but they all preached family values or showed what good friends were like. I remember watching all these shows with my family and friends growing up. TGIF was a staple in my neighborhood back then.

Now fast forward to now. There's CSI, NCIS, 24, LOST, Law & Order, and reality tv shows. It seems most of the shows now a days or more violent and stupid reality shows. I can't really think of any shows on tv now that are like the shows in the '90s that were about family and such.

Don't get me wrong, I know the '90s had some violent shows too like NYPD Blue and such, but it didn't seem like the overall tv theme was violence. So why have things changed so much over the years? What happened to all the family friendly tv shows? Did America grow tired of them?

The market became fractured. At one time, it made the most sense to appeal to as many viewers as possible accross demographics.

The increase in channels has lead to specialization so you get "old" adult tv, "young" adult (18-25) tv, teen tv, pre-teen tv, etc, and no "general" tv.

The main theme of Seinfeld was never family and friends. Maybe friendship but in a very strange way. That show is not intended for young children to be watching with their parents. It didn't show what good friends were like it was a collection of awkward and bizarre social situations that were the extremes of things some normal people might encounter with a comedic twist to it all. The friendship of Jerry, George, Kramer, and Elaine doesn't need explanation or relishing from the characters in the show. It simply is there.

Definitely not a family show or a friendship show.

Those cheesy ass shows however- Full House, Step by Step, Friends (also not a family show), Growing Pains were terrible by the way. Family Matters was alright and so was the Cosby Show but the other ones were pretty awful in their wholesomeness.

There are still some "family" oriented comedies out there such as Modern Family, it's just none of them are the campy "give me a hug son! AW SHUCKS DAD! *Father and son embrace in a special moment*" type of show. They have actual jokes and true comedic writing. I don't think this is a negative development either.

These are the things you have to blame yourself for and look in the mirror.

Society changed by watching Real World instead of Family Ties.

I disagree. It's the other way around.

I know a guy that says the economy is only bad because people see negative news stories about it.

Lets face it, sadly the days of The Cosby's, Family Ties, Different Strokes and others are gone. We live in a different world now a days. There's no such thing as "family time" TV anymore. Not to change the subject, but I remember getting up on Saturday mornings and watching cartoons on every station until noon. For the most part, they've been replaced with live action or news shows. Shows you thought would never end, soap operas are even on the way out.

I think it was the popularity of grittier shows like Roseanne and unfamily mega hits like Seinfeld (and to some extent even Friends) followed up by the worst culprit... Reality TV

Roseanne was gritty? To me, if you look at it, that show was very simular to Good Times. Heck, even the dad on Roseanne died as did the dad on Good Times.

Lets face it, sadly the days of The Cosby's, Family Ties, Different Strokes and others are gone. We live in a different world now a days. There's no such thing as "family time" TV anymore. Not to change the subject, but I remember getting up on Saturday mornings and watching cartoons on every station until noon. For the most part, they've been replaced with live action or news shows. Shows you thought would never end, soap operas are even on the way out.

There really isn't family time TV anymore. It seems that the parents have the shows that they watch and the kids have shows they watch. There aren't really any shows that are meant for the whole family anymore. Some earlier in here mentioned Modern Family. I don't think that's in the same mold as Full House, Family Matters, etc. I just think its strange how much tv has changed. There aren't really any shows that grab the attention of the whole family anymore.

There really isn't family time TV anymore. It seems that the parents have the shows that they watch and the kids have shows they watch. There aren't really any shows that are meant for the whole family anymore. Some earlier in here mentioned Modern Family. I don't think that's in the same mold as Full House, Family Matters, etc. I just think its strange how much tv has changed. There aren't really any shows that grab the attention of the whole family anymore.
For people looking for family entertainment, there are now networks showing it 24/7:

http://abcfamily.go.com/abcfamily/path/section_Home/page_Home

http://home.disney.go.com/tv/

What happened was that families were able to buy more than one TV, so parents don't have to watch the same thing as their kids, teenagers don't need to watch the same thing as second-graders, and husbands don't need to watch the same thing as wives. Once people had a choice, the market segregated.

I think the turning point was in the mid-to-late 90's when the runaway success of Friends and Seinfeld led NBC's "Must See TV" to much better ratings than ABC's "TGIF." From then on, every hit show has been in a Friends or Seinfeld mold rather than a Cosby Show/Brady Bunch mold.

For people looking for family entertainment, there are now networks showing it 24/7:

What happened was that families were able to buy more than one TV, so parents don't have to watch the same thing as their kids, teenagers don't need to watch the same thing as second-graders, and husbands don't need to watch the same thing as wives. Once people had a choice, the market segregated.

Good point about the number of TV's in the average household.

And there are some jiggly shows on ABC Family linked above. Weird.

I think the turning point was in the mid-to-late 90's when the runaway success of Friends and Seinfeld led NBC's "Must See TV" to much better ratings than ABC's "TGIF." From then on, every hit show has been in a Friends or Seinfeld mold rather than a Cosby Show/Brady Bunch mold.

You could be on to something with the more tv thing. I remember growing up we had our main tv in our family room and one other tv in our play room that had nintendo hooked up to it. So I guess back then there were more family shows on since the whole family was watching tv together. Now that isn't the case.

Archived