Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid phrases people actually say

Burgold

That makes total sense to me. If you shoot someone you're at a distance and if they drop or stagger both of you can choose flight... either because you assume the guy's dead or because you have stopped the threat to yourself.

If you stab someone... they're right on top of you. You better finish the job or they're gonna getcha.

Of course, Slim made sure he did both.

"Yeah he was cut in 'bout a hundred places, and he was shot in a couple more."

Some football commentators:

"Now this guy is a football player"

-Hmm, helmet... pads... brilliant!

"Campbell just didn't see the open receiver downfield"

-How do you know what he could and couldn't see, jackass?

And some ones from the office

Q: "Hey how's it going?"

A: "Ehh, it's Monday"

"Another day, another dollar"

"Almost Friday..."

I seriously avoid people at work who use these lines repeatedly.

I'm in law enforcement, and this one grills me everytime:

Parent to young child, "See that police officer over there? He's going to take you to jail if you don't (straighten up/stop crying/act nice to your sister/etc)..."

Gee thanks.

I think you should saunter over there and say to the parent,

"Ma'am. I'm going to have to arrest you now for filing a false report and wasting a policeman's time on what clearly wasn't a crime. Up against the wall, ma'am. I have to search you now."

Adding an "s" to quesadilla drives me nuts. It's one sandwich type thing. If I cut you sandwich in two, it doesn't become sandwiches.

Being in the service industry, I hear a load of things that make me crazy. The same stupid jokes over and over. Please, you're not being whitey and your server really doesn't care.

I HATE when people talk in second person. Most people do it during interviews, and many famous people do it.

Instead of saying something like, "I get so excited when I win a big game, so I always feel like I'm on top of the world"....

people will say...

"you get so excited when you win a big game, so you always feel like you're on top of the world".... when they're talking about how THEY feel.

If you haven't noticed that, pay attention to some interviews. Notice how often people say "you" instead of "I". Bugs the **** out of me.

I HATE when people talk in second person. Most people do it during interviews, and many famous people do it.

Instead of saying something like, "I get so excited when I win a big game, so I always feel like I'm on top of the world"....

people will say...

"you get so excited when you win a big game, so you always feel like you're on top of the world".... when they're talking about how THEY feel.

If you haven't noticed that, pay attention to some interviews. Notice how often people say "you" instead of "I". Bugs the **** out of me.

yeah, but think of it this way. if they say "I", it makes them sound all "me first" type of guy. So maybe thats why they say "you".

Please, you're not being whitey and your server really doesn't care.

Now that's funny. haha.

yeah, but think of it this way. if they say "I", it makes them sound all "me first" type of guy. So maybe thats why they say "you".

Yeah, they are generalizing it because that's how they think everyone feels in those type of situations. For the most part they are probably right.

I don't care. They are talking about themselves. Don't be such a pansy!!! Say "I"!

I think it makes them seem unsure of themselves if they don't have the confidence to say "I". If someone asks a direct question to you, you answer with "I".

Yeah, they are generalizing it because that's how they think everyone feels in those type of situations. For the most part they are probably right.

No, they're not. They shouldn't generalize if they're asked a specific question about themselves. Be confident and answer the question directly.

I don't care. They are talking about themselves. Don't be such a pansy!!! Say "I"!

I think it makes them seem unsure of themselves if they don't have the confidence to say "I". If someone asks a direct question to you, you answer with "I".

No, they're not. They shouldn't generalize if they're asked a specific question about themselves. Be confident and answer the question directly.

No, they are a team and nothing ruins that bond quicker than bragging about yourself or making it seem all about you. The reporters do it for a reason. They try to get these guys to respond that way.

They are not unsure, they KNOW who they are and so does the reporter. No reason to brag about it. It was after all a team effort.

That's why a lot of guys know they made an amazing play, but downplay it and deflect to their team.

Agents and PR people teach them to respond that way too.

No, they are a team and nothing ruins that bond quicker than bragging about yourself or making it seem all about you. The reporters do it for a reason. They try to get these guys to respond that way.

They are not unsure, they KNOW who they are and so does the reporter. No reason to brag about it. It was after all a team effort.

That's why a lot of guys know they made an amazing play, but downplay it and deflect to their team.

Agents and PR people teach them to respond that way too.

It's not just sports players. It's celebrities. They aren't bragging if they're answering a question in first person.

In any case, I hate it. No one should EVER speak in second person.

If you replaced the "you" with "I" in your example and it were a team sport the person saying it would come across as a self important prick. It seems like you would be used to make the speaker appear humble or at least in tune with the fact that he is not alone in what he is describing.

If you replaced the "you" with "I" in your example and it were a team sport the person saying it would come across as a self important prick. It seems like you would be used to make the speaker appear humble or at least in tune with the fact that he is not alone in what he is describing.

again, it's not just with sports players....actually, my example is more based on celebrities. People that are not even that famous. Even if it's a question that has nothing to do with their success.

Q: "How do you feel about your girlfriend?"

A: "Well, you always feel this connection with a person that you are friends with first."

Q: "How did it feel to beat your disease?"

A: "You work hard to beat it, and you do everything you can, and finally it pays off. It makes you feel good."

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I think using the word "you" in those cases is more trying to explain to the person what they might feel like in your position. I know I've done it in situations, and that was pretty much it. I don't think it has anything to do with team, or being unselfish, more trying to get the person you're explaining to to be able to relate.

~Bang

I think using the word "you" in those cases is more trying to explain to the person what they might feel like in your position. I know I've done it in situations, and that was pretty much it. I don't think it has anything to do with team, or being unselfish, more trying to get the person you're explaining to to be able to relate.

~Bang

I don't think people realize they do it. I can't stand it, though. Obviously.

Archived