Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid phrases people actually say

Burgold

"Talk to the hand" Anybody who says that deserves to be slapped in the mouth. That includes people that do the "talk to the hand" hand gesture.

"Reverse Racism" A bigot is a bigot no matter what race they are or gender.

"It was the last place I looked" Of course it was the last place you looked. Unless you were dumb enough to keep looking after you found it.

I also hear a person say this one time "Everything is getting wet outside" It was raining at the time.

I'm also irritated when people mis-quote a "popular" saying. For example, "I could care less."

It's COULDN'T care less.

Saying "could" care less means that you do have some level of caring because there is some caring that could be less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advertising sayings that drive me nuts:

Save up to 50% off and more

Huh? That doesn't mean anything, and besides, they say it wrong.

The first part of the sentence says it could be up to 50%. So any where from 1 to 50. "And More"??? ok, the first part of the sentence has a limit of 50, but now they're saying it could be more? More what?

You don't "save off", you "save on".

"New and improved!"

Huh? It's either new, or its improved. Can't be both. :chair:

I have officially concluded that "If I can do it, so can you." is the worst way to encourage someone.

It's like saying... "I have low self-esteem and almost no confidence in my own natural ability to rise to a challenge... so if you're anything like me, trust me, the task you are about to do is not difficult despite how challenging it appears."

I have officially concluded that "If I can do it, so can you." is the worst way to encourage someone.

It's like saying... "I have low self-esteem and almost no confidence in my own natural ability to rise to a challenge... so if you're anything like me, trust me, the task you are about to do is not difficult despite how challenging it appears."

I think that's true. It was especially frustrating the time a brain surgeon said it to me and then handed me a scalpel.

i was watching MTV Cribs a little while ago on Verizon Fios on Demand, and the guy on there said about 5 time "i'm not gonna lie, but...."

umm...i would hope you wouldnt lie...

Ugh, I find this one particularly irritating. Whenever I'm talking to someone and they start a sentence with, "I'm not gonna lie..." I always interrupt them immediately and say, "I wasn't expecting you to lie," or, "Wait, have you been lying to me this whole time?" What the hell kind of person needs to start a sentence by stating that it isn't a lie?

what about the opposite of that? have you ever said to yourself "if he can do it, i know i can."

If I have to hear another athlete or coach in a press conference say, "Where we're at" one more time, I'll lose it. That also goes for when people say, "Where you at?"

Also, when in writing and people don't know the difference between "you're" and "your." Kills me everytime, especially when I saw it on a sign at a children's book store last week. Way to educate the youth.

Ugh, I find this one particularly irritating. Whenever I'm talking to someone and they start a sentence with, "I'm not gonna lie..." I always interrupt them immediately and say, "I wasn't expecting you to lie," or, "Wait, have you been lying to me this whole time?" What the hell kind of person needs to start a sentence by stating that it isn't a lie?

I don't get the outrage over that one. It's the same thing as saying "honestly..." or "to be honest..." and just signifies a candid opinion in most cases.

well, that would be saying that you think your skills are better than the person in question. I don't have a problem with that.

so would it be stupid of the person in question to say that to you? they would just be admitting that your skills are equal or better.

• 2 years later...

Archived