Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid phrases people actually say

Burgold

"Are you guys happy with Ryan Kerrigan? I am sorry, but getting double-teamed is not an excuse. And frankly, he is not beating his mean that often even when he isn't double teamed. He is stuck at 4.5 sacks, which is not a good number."

I'm also with the people that said "leggo" (outside of leggoing my eggo) is stupid as hell... stupid ****ing chris brown.

I've seen a few say "It is what it is". For some reason, that is one phrase I like. It applies well to a situation that is undesirable and there's nothing that can be done about it, so why worry or stress over it? I don't understand the hate for it. I guess it comes at the "acceptance" part of Kubler-Ross model of The Five Stages of Grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, then acceptance.

There's always one eternally accurate answer for anyone who doesn't get "the hate" for ANY such hated phrase. You < meaning anyone> don't get it because, at least where that "thought" <saying> is concerned, you're one of the stupid ones. :evilg: :pfft: :D

My favorite comeback, if such is desired, for the old "it is what it is", is "except when it isn't." :ols:

By the way, a great many of dumbass phrases are among the bread and butter of 12-step programs and while there are some really non-stupid ones, it's certainly a venue for popular acceptance of all the brain-dead stuff you could ever desire. :)

And Kubler-Ross has very specific roles for acceptance per grief, and thinks that phrase is used too glibly and broadly---which is of course is correct, like "acceptance" is often abused in AA as a favored concept of Dr. Bob's at one point in his life. :)

But who cares. :ols:

It's fun <and good venting> to have some relatively lightweight stuff to grouse about like these kind of deals.

I've seen a few say "It is what it is". For some reason, that is one phrase I like. It applies well to a situation that is undesirable and there's nothing that can be done about it, so why worry or stress over it? I don't understand the hate for it. I guess it comes at the "acceptance" part of Kubler-Ross model of The Five Stages of Grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, then acceptance.

It's an acceptable saying...but I've found that certain phrases get overused so often in the working world. I had a manager a while back who must have used "it is what it is" 3 times per conversation. Others from the workplace include: herding cats, on my plate, spare cycles, and circle back.

That ain't stupid, that's acceptance of reality.

Nonsense and pap, much of the time. :)

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 12:48 PM ----------

It's an acceptable saying...but I've found that certain phrases get overused so often in the working world.

Much closer. You get a gold star. :)

But if it wasn't then there would be no reaon to say that it is, so if it is what it is then the isn't an exception for if it isn't because it already is.

Oh stop it. Don't be so lazy with your brain. You have a lot of information and reasonable levels of operational competency. Use it all for something beside trotting out last decade's homework.

Especially if all you got was a B. :D

<playyyyyyyyyyyyying> :pfft:

skin a cat

Cleaning a catfish. Some fish you scale some you skin.

Writers have pointed to its use in the southern states of the US in reference to the catfish, often abbreviated to cat, a fish that is indeed usually skinned in preparing it for eating. However, it looks very much from the multiple versions of the saying, their wide distribution and their age, that this is just a local application of the proverb.
There are many versions of this proverb, which suggests there are always several ways to do something. Charles Kingsley used one old British form in Westward Ho! in 1855: “there are more ways of killing a cat than choking it with cream”. Other versions include “there are more ways of killing a cat than by choking it with butter”, and “there are more ways of killing a dog than choking him with pudding”. The earliest version appears as far back as 1678, in the second edition of John Ray’s collection of English proverbs, in which he gives it as “there are more ways to kill a dog than hanging”.

Link

Skinning a cat was apparently a more common practice in times past, as they once were used for women's furs:

As7Ae.png

Link

Here's one I was talking with TK about recently..."gotta jump" or "gotta bounce."

Now it's not only "how insipid are you, really?", but also how desperate are you for anything to make you seem a little more cool or your silly life seem a little more important to anyone???

You don't "jump" OR "bounce" unless you're a registered moron. You "leave" or "go." In the recent past, the same stupid and desperate people had to "jet."

You're not cool. You're a dumbass with impotent pretensions. If you're going to have pretensions, pick some that at least work halfway decent and don''t make you look less effective than Madonna doing her "British" accent. Heyzeus Christoper.

And you're still on my lawn, I notice.

Here's one I was talking with TK about recently..."gotta jump" or "gotta bounce."

Now it's not only "how insipid are you, really?", but also how desperate are you for anything to make you seem a little more cool or your silly life seem a little more important to anyone???

You don't "jump" OR "bounce" unless you're a registered moron. You "leave" or "go." In the recent past, the same stupid and desperate people had to "jet."

You're not cool. You're a dumbass with impotent pretensions. If you're going to have pretensions, pick some that at least work halfway decent and don''t make you look less effective than Madonna doing her "British" accent. Heyzeus Christoper.

And I notice you're still on my lawn.

You're not cool.

I'm not cool? :cry:

Some of us use alternate (green) modes of transportation, so do in fact bounce.

business_men_sitting_on_bouncing_balls_eb001022.jpg

Jumbo -

If that gets you PO'ed, how about "gotta dip". Or the dreaded "dip skinny".

I often "type with more feeling" (project) then I actually experience in many matters, but the "dip" leaves me reaching for the Sig.

I am pretty much the same with "hit" & "tap" and the forms thereof.

I think the inherently clueless (which is most everyone who needs to "try" to be/sound cool in the first place) just don't get that there are very very few words or phrases that are meant to serve that need that actually do anything other than the opposite---they make you look stupid except to other empty-headed dumbasses. Unless you're under 15, then it's forgivable.

"Cool" itself, as a word, is probably the most famous exception in that it really does make the grade for being, well, "cool." :cool:

I'm not cool? :cry:

Some of us use alternate (green) modes of transportation, so do in fact bounce.

China, you are cool at the genetic level, and big ole balls can be an effective means of getting somewhere. ;)

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 05:37 PM ----------

"Oh my heck." This was an all too common phrase in Utah. If they were feeling especially frisky,they said "Oh my hell."

In the spirit of regional examples, I had an awesome gf from Kansas who spent just as much time I guess "fixin'" to do something as actually doing it. She'd be fixin' to go to the store or fixin to wash the car or fixin to get the cat fixed (not sure how that worked) etc.

Now while funny, those kind of deals don't annoy me, like the stuff where idjits are trying so hard to be cool, way beyond their capacity for actual coolness, does.

Ironically, what's really cool is someone who doesn't care about trying to be/sound cool.

Archived