Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huddle Report: Drew Boylart's second take on Bradford

Farbod21

The problem with Bradford (and I've watched most of his games) is when he has time he is perfect. Last year their offensive line dominated about every game but Texas and Florida. When under constant pressure in those games he looks very average.

And in the NFL QB's rarely have all day to throw like he did last year.

And we are never in a position to get them. THIS YEAR we are. :evilg:

I agree with this.

If they do take a QB this year I will be okay with that.

We never get a pretty good QB or we get rid of them like Trent Green.

Romo sits to pee,Mcnabb & Eli Manning are all pretty good QBs that can get the job done. Jason is not the answer for our future & I like him. We are going to have to get a QB this year or next.

I agree with this.

If they do take a QB this year I will be okay with that.

We never get a pretty good QB or we get rid of them like Trent Green.

Romo sits to pee,Mcnabb & Eli Manning are all pretty good QBs that can get the job done. Jason is not the answer for our future & I like him. We are going to have to get a QB this year or next.

One thing most people don't consider is that if we can sign Campbell to a cheap 3 year deal, draft Bradford, and he turns out to be the answer. Campbell will have a good trade value.

To a lesser extent, we could put ourselves in the same position as the Chargers were in when they drafted Rivers and later traded Brees. I don't think Campbell will have the same value as Brees did but someone will take a chance on him, you can bet on that.

it's his throwing shoulder ya rocket scientist, it has nothing to do with OU, that was a coincidence... Mel Kiper also said that Joey Harrington with the best QB he had ever seen:doh:, lets do whatever it takes to draft a guy that played for 5:00 mins last year....I still don't know how you didn't get the GM job over Bruce Allen...

I was wondering how long Bradford lasted in the BYU game. Boylart can make this snap decision after watching a few minutes of the BYU game, about a QB from Oklahoma, where QB's have transitioned poorly to the NFL. I'm not bashing on him, but the the truth is Okung has everything you would want in a franchise LT, the only knock on him is that he might be a little small. Okung would be the anchor for our line for the next decade and longer. Are we sure Boylart wasn't looking at Max Hall?

As much as people preach about patience, they say we HAVE to draft an OL with the first pick or our rookie QB will get killed. Well guess what, the rookie QB DOESN'T have to start.

Agree. If you are rebuilding you don't HAVE to do anything where you are locked in per position. IMO its a strange approach to the draft to say look Okung or Davis, etc has to be the 4th pick in the draft. If you don't draft a LT with the 4th pick, its over, no room to build that position through the draft with other picks.

Keep in mind a high 2nd rounder, is almost like a first. what if Shanny loves John Fox who is likely to be there in round 2 at that pick and thinks he's as good or close enough to Okung. And loves Bradford, and figures he can have his cake and eat it too? Is then Shanny a dummy for doing this, because he's not following some ad hoc theory about you draft O line no matter what?

Same thing the other way around, if he thinks that McCoy is as good or better as Bradford, loves Okung -- and goes O line with the 4th pick in the first for me that's cool, too.

What I don't get is since when is the draft all about theory as opposed to specific player evaluations? I really doubt teams on their draft boards have positions mapped out that they will be drafting in that round as opposed to specific player targets.

For example I doubt Shanny has it mapped out where its the first round so we are taking an offensive lineman, he doesn't care lets say if Scott Campbell and our scouts deem Okung overrated, and that we can get a similar player in the 2nd round, we got to suck it up and do it regardless.

And ditto the reverse, we got to take Bradford because yeah we got to take a QB there, our scouts aren't in love with him, but Mel Kiper thinks he is the right fit for us, so good enough.

Edit: I agree with those that say if you got a franchise QB you take him. I don't think that's even close when it comes to making a decision between an OT and a franchise QB. But I do agree the O line is a huge priority and if they draft a QB with the first, they really have to look hard at using their 2nd and 4th on O line. But yeah I wouldn't be crying if they end up with Bradford and lets say Fox in the 2nd and Calloway in the 4th. No i don't think that would be the end of the world for the O line crowd.

You obviously haven't seen Christian Ponder play. No worries, he will be in the running for the Heisman next year. Thats no homer talk ... FSU has had awful qbs for a decade ... this dude is total package.

Exactly, I'm not even an FSU fan and I think Ponder will be big in the NFL. We just need to wait until 2011. Besides if Campbell sucks as bad as the haters say he will, we'll have a top five pick again

about a QB from Oklahoma, where QB's have transitioned poorly to the NFL.

Neither Josh Heupel nor Jason White were considered elite prospects, being chosen in the 6th round and undrafted respectively. Heupel didn't have the physical tools and White had two surgically repaired knees. Neither made an NFL roster their rookie year. Bad comparison.

Exactly, I'm not even an FSU fan and I think Ponder will be big in the NFL. We just need to wait until 2011. Besides if Campbell sucks as bad as the haters say he will, we'll have a top five pick again

I doubt we would be in position to get Ponder in 2011, hopefully we won't. Campbell went 8-8 the season before this one. I am not one of the JC haters on the board, sort of neutral on him. I think he's so so. And the team is perfectly capable of having a better than 4-12 year with an improved roster and Shanny coaching.

I doubt we would be in position to get Ponder in 2011, hopefully we won't. Campbell went 8-8 the season before this one. I am not one of the JC haters on the board, sort of neutral on him. I think he's so so. And the team is perfectly capable of having a better than 4-12 year with an improved roster and Shanny coaching.

Agreed. It's never smart to plan your team around a player who may or may not be around when the team drafts.

The problem with Bradford (and I've watched most of his games) is when he has time he is perfect. Last year their offensive line dominated about every game but Texas and Florida. When under constant pressure in those games he looks very average.

And in the NFL QB's rarely have all day to throw like he did last year.

One of the things that worries me is that he doesn't seem to have enough zip on his throws to fit the ball into tight windows (aka NFL windows). This is mostly because he is throwing to very open guys. From what I've seen of their offense it is mostly receivers running routes and sitting in zone holes since there is a ton of zone defense in the Big 12. He isn't going to have guys open like that in the NFL. Not even close.

I'm in, draft Bradford if he is there at 4, then get some lineman, and a back later in the draft. Sit Bradford and start some other vet, or Colt, until the next year when the line can be further solidified.

If Shanahan and the crew think he's the guy I'm ok with it. I'd also be okay with taking a BPA or a lineman or a trade down scenario, we have so many holes/needs and it can't all be done in a season. Just get a piece or two and build from there.

Tell us something we don't know.

The guy looks like the best prospect since Peyton Manning, hands down.

Just pray he is still there at 4.

That is a bold statement my friend. Guys like Peyton Manning don't come along that often ... Maybe every 15-20 years. There was Dan Marino and then there was Peyton Manning. I don't think this kid is Manning to Manning's Marino.

HTTR

That is a bold statement my friend. Guys like Peyton Manning don't come along that often ... Maybe every 15-20 years. There was Dan Marino and then there was Peyton Manning. I don't think this kid is Manning to Manning's Marino.

HTTR

That may very well prove true but could anyone predict with absolute certainty Peyton would be as good as he is? Four MVP awards is remarkable. Not saying Bradford will even come close but who knows?

HTTR

Gotta agree with this. I think Bradford has potential, but to say that he is hands down the best prospect since Peyton Manning is an enormous stretch. Manning had superior footwork, better mechanics (though that doesn't mean Bradford's mechanics are bad), played against much better defenses, had a better arm, had an extremely high football IQ (as much as I've heard that Bradford does, the whole thing of getting his defensive reads from the sideline is a little troubling, whereas Manning made those reads on his own in college). Manning also didn't have a throwing shoulder that he hurt and then re-injured. If any scouts thought he was the best prospect since Manning there wouldn't even be a conversation about who would be going #1 overall. As it is, Bradford may be lucky to be a top 10 pick, depending on how well he can throw on his pro day, etc.

Let's not forget that a lot of people were skeptical of manning because of what happened with Heath Shuler as I recall? I mean, did he look good? Yes, but there question marks because of what had happened with Shuler. I still think I believed at the time he would be good, but i never would have guessed he would be this good.

Didn't a lot of mediaots take it to Indy for not taking Leaf over Manning?

Let's not forget that a lot of people were skeptical of manning because of what happened with Heath Shuler as I recall? I mean, did he look good? Yes, but there question marks because of what had happened with Shuler. I still think I believed at the time he would be good, but i never would have guessed he would be this good.

Didn't a lot of mediaots take it to Indy for not taking Leaf over Manning?

Maybe some of the mediots, but not scouts or GMs for the most part. Leaf's stock rose like crazy up to the draft, and mediots drool over that sort of stuff it seems.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012545/index.htm

But in the view of a six-man blue-ribbon panel that analyzed game tapes of the players for SI, Leaf doesn't rank as high as Manning. Each expert was asked: If you had to pick one of these players, whom would you take? With different degrees of conviction, each said Manning. Three said they would be shocked if the Colts didn't select him.

The panel was made up of Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of player personnel Jerry Angelo; Sid Gillman, who was instrumental in the development of the West Coach offense; Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan; former New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Phil Simms; UCLA coach Bob Toledo, whose Bruins played Tennessee and Washington State in each of the last two seasons; and former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh. The panelists raised doubts about Leaf's mental preparedness and mechanics but still liked him as a player. However, they think Manning is the superior prospect at the most important position in the game.

But in the view of a six-man blue-ribbon panel that analyzed game tapes of the players for SI, Leaf doesn't rank as high as Manning. Each expert was asked: If you had to pick one of these players, whom would you take? With different degrees of conviction, each said Manning. Three said they would be shocked if the Colts didn't select him.

The panel was made up of Tampa Bay Buccaneers director of player personnel Jerry Angelo; Sid Gillman, who was instrumental in the development of the West Coach offense; Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan; former New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Phil Simms; UCLA coach Bob Toledo, whose Bruins played Tennessee and Washington State in each of the last two seasons; and former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh. The panelists raised doubts about Leaf's mental preparedness and mechanics but still liked him as a player. However, they think Manning is the superior prospect at the most important position in the game.

Score one for Shanny. At least we have a coach in place that could spot the talent between the two. I trust his judgment to spot talent after working with Elway and to a lesser extent, Cutler.

what happened the last time we draft a "stud" from OU that was hurt in college? I think it took him 2 years to make a catch... you can have that garbage...

And what was the last player we passed up on that went to OU that people said was injury prone? I think some guy named Adrian Peterson...

And what was the last player we passed up on that went to OU that people said was injury prone? I think some guy named Adrian Peterson...

Well now shoot, just as I'm managing to forget ol' bug eyes, you go bring him rushing right back in glaring technicolour with a flashing light to make sure you don't miss what an incompetent clown he was.

Darn you Rs, shakes head chuckling.

Hail.

I'm part of the, "take OL or trade back group," but if this is the kind of scouting report that's going to be coming out over the next few months, then I can definitely see myself switching to the, "take Bradford" group.

The only thing I really need to see is a clean bill from Dr James Andrews and I'll start getting excited. If we do take him, I hope we at least sit him for the first few games (or the whole season) until our new OL begins to gel. I don't want our MVP getting pounded into the dirt. And not everyone can take hit after hit, like JC (probably his best quality, shoulda been a boxer).

Archived