Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huddle Report: Drew Boylart's second take on Bradford

Farbod21

Oh I see your point.

Well, I'm sure there are some honest people out there who truly believe that OL is more important. I certainly don't agree with them, but I'm sure they exist.

;)

Eh. I'm for offensive line over quarterback because I believe that the offensive line is needed more than the quarterback. We're not competing next year, and I am very much in the mindset of putting a king in a castle, not building a castle around a king.

Yes, I would like to see what Campbell can do this year under Shanahanahanahnahananan, but no, I do not want him to be our long-term guy.

That all being said, if Bradford can do something, then take him and bench him for a year. As long as Shanallen want to do it, I'll trust them.

I guess I'll try to make my point one more way...

To the group that would prefer to take a OL at 4 even if the front office believes that Bradford could be a franchise QB, do you think it's easier to win a championship with a good QB and elite LT or with an elite QB and good LT? Explain your reasoning.

I agree that if Shanny who knows a thing or two about building offenses and good QB's and for that matter good offensive lines -- believes that Bradford is a franchise QB, you draft him.

But how do you feel about the converse? What if Shanny thinks Bradford has big bust potential and drafts Okung? How would the draft a QB crowd feel about it? Would they just say Shanny is a dummy and doesn't know what he's doing?

Whatever Shanny does is likely to be the right choice one way or another, so the verdict IMO will be in on draft day.

Its funny to me. The people screaming for OL are Campbell supporters. The one's that want a QB are not. I dont find that to be a coincidence.

I like Campbell, and a lot of my posts are defending him. I think he is a good, though not great, QB in this league. I would certainly rather have him than a lot of the names that get thrown around this site.

However, I am a strong believer in taking a franchise QB if you think one is available. I think Bradford is, if he's around when we pick (though I reserve the right to change my mind).

So, I seem to be a Campbell backer who's saying QB is more important than OL, and we should take one if we believe there's one good enough.

That all being said, if Bradford can do something, then take him and bench him for a year. As long as Shanallen want to do it, I'll trust them.

That's certainly where I stand too. I will be behind any pick/trade they make at 4. Having said that, I believe the best course of action would be to take Bradford (if they are high on him), build the line through the rest of the draft and FA, and make a decision this summer on whether you've improved your line enough to play Bradford. If it's still in shambles, let him sit. If it's improved (even if not completely rebuilt), let him play and learn. As you mentioned, 2010 isn't a playoff year so why not let our rookie (SAFELY) take his lumps?

That's certainly where I stand too. I will be behind any pick/trade they make at 4. Having said that, I believe the best course of action would be to take Bradford (if they are high on him), build the line through the rest of the draft and FA, and make a decision this summer on whether you've improved your line enough to play Bradford. If it's still in shambles, let him sit. If it's improved (even if not completely rebuilt), let him play and learn. As you mentioned, 2010 isn't a playoff year so why not let our rookie (SAFELY) take his lumps?

I have absolutely no problem with your scenario.

Whatever they want is fine with me.

I agree that if Shanny who knows a thing or two about building offenses and good QB's and for that matter good offensive lines -- believes that Bradford is a franchise QB, you draft him.

But how do you feel about the converse? What if Shanny thinks Bradford has big bust potential and drafts Okung? How would the draft a QB crowd feel about it? Would they just say Shanny is a dummy and doesn't know what he's doing?

Whatever Shanny does is likely to be the right choice one way or another, so the verdict IMO will be in on draft day.

As I mentioned above (after you posted), I'm fine with whatever they do at 4. From a philosophical standpoint, I always believe QB is more valuable than OL (assuming you rate them the same within their given positions). However, if Shanahan and Allen don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft (or feel that someone they can get later in the draft is of equal value to Clausen and Bradford), then I'm fine with whatever player they choose.

See, that's my view regardless if we take him.

I appreciate the theory of having him, or A N Other rookie QB for that matter sit and learn for a year; but I'd rather everyone learn from scratch TOGETHER with everything being new on the field. Rather a year's playing experience and growing pains for line, QB, and offense as a whole, than waiting another year in year two while he adapts to the speed of the pro game.

The fact that I personally believe there's similarity's in Peyton coming out in the OK guy is just an added bonus. :D.

Hail.

See, that's my view regardless if we take him.

I appreciate the theory of having him, or A N Other rookie QB for that matter sit and learn for a year; but I'd rather everyone learn from scratch TOGETHER with everything being new on the field. Rather a year's playing experience and growing pains for line, QB, and offense as a whole, than waiting another year in year two while he adapts to the speed of the pro game.

The fact that I personally believe there's similarity's in Peyton coming out in the OK guy is just an added bonus. :D.

Hail.

Well sure...there is something to be said for the learning curve of a QB vs. an OL. I think your best bet is to let the QB get as big a head start as you can since, in most cases, he'll need to be well into his 2nd or 3rd year before he's truly playing at a high level.

One thing to consider is that MS's o-lines are usually lighter than what most teams want. Based on that we can draft OL lower and get good ones later in the draft. Why does everyone think a rookie QB has to start from day 1? Why can't we have a vet start for a year while the rookie learns and we build our o-line. The NFL has become such a passing league that you must have a franchise QB to compete. Do you want to try to catch lightning in a bottle like BAL did with Dilfer or TB w/ Johnson or do you want to be in the playoffs every year with a shot at a SB w/ a Manning or Brady? I for one believe QB is the most important position in sports and if we have a chance to draft a franchise QB that can lead our team to the playoffs year in and year out than that is what I want. Is Bradford that guy? I don't know but if the coaches think he is then you pull the trigger. We haven't had a franchise QB since Joe Theisman. It's time we get one!

Bryant McKinnie (Minnesota)

are some good, some decent players on that list, but I think it would be a stretch to call any of them "great".

And McKinnie, while taken very high, was actually close to being benched this year wasn't he? Samuels, at his best, was better than every single guy on that list, including McNeil.

And McKinnie, while taken very high, was actually close to being benched this year wasn't he? Samuels, at his best, was better than every single guy on that list, including McNeil.

He was pulled out of the game against the Panthers because he was getting abused by Julius Peppers. He's been a decent player for a while, but he's had some real ups and downs.

And yeah, Samuels was way better than any of them. And I say that as a guy who never thought Samuels was as great as some people here make him out to be- a very good player, but I never saw him in the class of Ogden, Jones or Pace.

Well, only Montana has won it more than 3 times and that was a long time ago when there wasn't parity in the NFL. Since the salary cap era, only Brady has won it more than once. I think if you have a QB who wins 1 or 2 SB's in his career, you have a franchise QB. Look at Peyton. Despite the fact that he's only won once, most people would kill to have him because year in and year out, he gives you a chance. The goal is to win the SB every year, but only 1 QB a year can claim it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't aikman win his in the FA era? Didn't Elway win two of them? Brady for sure won two of them, but so has Big Ben??? (granted Elway was drafted before the FA era for sure, and Aikman technically might have been as well)

And yeah, Samuels was way better than any of them. And I say that as a guy who never thought Samuels was as great as some people here make him out to be- a very good player, but I never saw him in the class of Ogden, Jones or Pace.

We share some agreement but I think Samuels was better than Pace but not as good as Ogden or Jones AT THEIR BEST. But even Jones declined fairly quickly after hitting the top of his ability. I still remember a healthy Pace getting butchered by Bruce Smith in 2000. Sure, Bruce had a few moments left in him but that was embarrassing at home to get beat three times like that.

But I think Samuels actually had the more even career out of even that elite. Too bad about his neck, I think overall besides that he could play another three seasons at a solid level.

Getting a little off topic but I agree with you. Samuels was a very good player and a deserving Pro Bowler. Those three will be in discussion for the HOF.

Like he said they would have to make sure that shoulder is completely and structerly sound.he is a slight guy and i can just see a defender on a break away pile drivin him into the turf and his career being over.if it was the none throwing are then that not as big a deal.but this is the throwing shoulder.they must walk very carefully with this.a 4th pick on a guy who could be one hit from done?granted thats true of anyone but he is even more suseptable.if he doesn't get a complete passing grade by the Dr's then they should walk on by.

You're right. There is definitely a correlation between the two :doh:

Even if his arm was amputated hed be better than a QB from FSU

You obviously haven't seen Christian Ponder play. No worries, he will be in the running for the Heisman next year. Thats no homer talk ... FSU has had awful qbs for a decade ... this dude is total package.

You obviously haven't seen Christian Ponder play. No worries, he will be in the running for the Heisman next year. Thats no homer talk ... FSU has had awful qbs for a decade ... this dude is total package.

TRUTH!

He will likely be a first round QB next year if he can stay healthy.

And if Bradford stayed in school, he'd be in the running for his second Heisman. Don't forget that he won as a sophomore. Can Ponder, Mallett, or Locker match that?

Bottom line is that Bradford might have gone #1 last year, is a candidate for the top pick this year with his injury being the only reason he might drop, and he would be the #1 pick next year if he had stayed in school.

Be happy that a franchise QB is going to slip to us at #4.

As I mentioned above (after you posted), I'm fine with whatever they do at 4. From a philosophical standpoint, I always believe QB is more valuable than OL (assuming you rate them the same within their given positions). However, if Shanahan and Allen don't believe there is a franchise QB in this draft (or feel that someone they can get later in the draft is of equal value to Clausen and Bradford), then I'm fine with whatever player they choose.

OK, we are on the same page then. If you noticed how I worded it I shifted to making a global point when I talked about how people would feel if Shanny ended up drafting an O lineman.

There I wasn't talking about your post, but other posts I have read on the topic -- where certain people seem absolutely convinced that Bradford is a franchise QB, and the Redskins MUST draft a QB. I just personally find it hard to understand how people from watching some you tube clips can figure out what some say is one of the more complex positions to decipher in the NFL draft.

I would expect that Shanny would pour over hours of tape, do a ton of interviews, etc -- and dissect Bradford for example from every angle imaginable. Still, of course he can make the wrong call. But his decision will be miles more educated than what any of us will think up here.

Not saying, we shouldn't offer our opinions. But some opinions seem so absolute and definitive on this decision that I wonder where all the confidence is coming from?

Archived