Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Huddle Report: Drew Boylart's second take on Bradford

Farbod21

Great point.

And that Percy Harvin dude is probably a huge bust.

No Florida wide receivers do well in the pros.

And it is pretty literally impossible to have a draft discussion without that kind of thing being brought up (ie. Brady Quinn sucks, so no Notre Dame QB can be any good). And there is probably just enough of a kernel of truth in it (as far as players looking good in certain college systems that don't translate to the pros, for example Spurrier's Florida QBs) that it shouldn't be completely dismissed as irrelevant. But, using that kind of argument as the end-all be-all of a player's worth just gets ridiculous.

I mean, there were never any Tennessee QBs who did anything in the pros, so I guess Peyton Manning was a bad selection.

BPA at #4 would probably be EB from tenn....should we get him if he is still available?

Nope. I'm becoming more convinced that B.O.B. is a can't miss player, especially for this franchise. At this point Berry would be a luxury on a pretty decent defense. Don't get me wrong, we will certainly have somewhat of a void @ FS once LL moves back to SS. But we could easily use Doughty as a stop gap until we find someone more suited at that position. However, provided that QB has been a question mark for us since Brad Johnson, i say that we MUST take B.O.B. if available. To me its a no-brainer.

Yeah, people use this argument so much and it really makes no sense. They seem to think that if we don't draft an OL in the first round then we're just doomed because players in every other round are destined to suck.

...or that there are rules in place that prohibit you from drafting anyone else once you pick a QB.

We can draft our franchise QB in round 1, add a very good OL in round 2, and then see what else is there for the rest of the draft.

That is a very interesting read, because I really thought up until then that Bradford have very, very little playing under center.

If that assessment is true, than you can count me as a supporter of Bradford. I'm not saying that he's our best option, just that he's one of several options at #4, which includes BPA and Russell Okung, not to mention trade down.

Yea because that's a great comparison.

QB, WR. Shoulder, knee. I didn't know same school = same future :doh:

If there's anything to say about Malcolm in relation to possibly drafting Bradford, it's this-- maybe Bradford and Malcolm could reestablish the rapport they had in college.

it's his throwing shoulder ya rocket scientist, it has nothing to do with OU, that was a coincidence... Mel Kiper also said that Joey Harrington with the best QB he had ever seen:doh:, lets do whatever it takes to draft a guy that played for 5:00 mins last year....I still don't know how you didn't get the GM job over Bruce Allen...

The thing that scares me, besides the shoulder injury, is that he hardly if ever played from under center. Spread offense QB's hardly ever turn into good NFL QB's anyhow.

Either way, this is a nice write up but all in all I'm still not enamored with any QB in this draft and once FA starts, this will probably be a moot point. :)

If Shanny and Allen think he is their QB of the future, they NEED to draft him. They OL will come. But QBs who you feel you can build a franchise around don't come often.

Maybe not, but highly touted QBs come out every year. More often than not, they set franchises further back when you don't have the personnel around them. If you draft a QB high, you're practically forced to play him soon, and even if he struggles, you have to stick with him as long as possible to try to get the best return on the high pick.

The number one need by far is OL. If we can get that some way outside of the #4 pick and improve the team sufficiently, then taking the QB could work out.

I don't hate Bradford or Clausen, but I'm not as confident in their abilities to be true franchise QBs. There's plenty of questions for both of them.

The thing that scares me, besides the shoulder injury, is that he hardly if ever played from under center. Spread offense QB's hardly ever turn into good NFL QB's anyhow.

Either way, this is a nice write up but all in all I'm still not enamored with any QB in this draft and once FA starts, this will probably be a moot point. :)

Man you need to watch some Sooners games to see exactly how that offense rolls, and exactly how much of a split there is between the QB under center and out of the gun.

Hail.

Yeah, people use this argument so much and it really makes no sense. They seem to think that if we don't draft an OL in the first round then we're just doomed because players in every other round are destined to suck.

The problem is that of course, you guys fail to see how that fits on the other foot. LT's dont grow on trees, and very good one might be harder to find that QB's. So, why not take a LT @#4 and draft a QB later?

Right? Isnt that what you're saying, we're not doomed at QB if we dont take one at #4, according to your logic.

OL is a much bigger problem than QB right now, and it's goign to take multiple players to fix that problem. Also, a rookie QB will get killed behind our line. Why not build the line (which will help the run AND pass game) and give whoever has the job something to work with. Hell, you might even find that with a good O-line, a top 5 QB isnt even a real need anymore.....

And if it is, he'll have something to work with instead of getting distroyed.

Time to realize, you build from the trenches out, not the other way around.

Of course. All he states is barring Sam's arm injury he thinks he'd be the #1 qb. I simply don't agree.

You just said that he almost never played under center, if at all.

From the OP:

Sam played in a hurry-up offense, under center as well as in a spread offense. He showed a strong, accurate arm in a five-step and three-step passing offense with a very quick release. He stood tall in the pocket on many occasions with pressure all around him and overall, exhibited excellent leadership abilities. This kid showed franchise QB abilities for the next level.

This guy has been compared to Payton Manning for his football smarts AND he has the physical tools to go with his brains. He could be the kind of guy (like Manning) who leads his team to the playoffs year after year. When is the last time you heard that about a lineman?

How on earth do you pass on a rare opportunity to draft a QB with so much potential when the best you have now is Jason Campbell? For a lineman? Really? :doh:

That high second rounder we have is just as good as a low first. We can get a REALLY good lineman there. Add one solid guy in free agency and a few guys for depth and a guy with a quick release like Bradford and the line will look as if the "draft O line first" people got their wish, plus some.

Archived