Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't We Use Santana Moss Like Wes Welker is Used?

kingdaddy

Think about how dangerous Moss would be on the crossing patterns that Welker runs in the Pats system. Santana would get 8-10 catches a game and would drive defenses crazy, especially with Fred Davis running down the seam. On the outside we put a big receiver like Marko Mitchell, Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly. We could go two TE's, two WR's and a single set back. With two TE's we could go max protect if necessary sometimes or run either one of them out in patterns depending on the match ups. I gotta believe Shanahan X2 is gonna be looking at this.

One other benefit to this would be that Santana would always be involved in the passing downs no matter who the play is designed for first. He would not lose interest in the offense.

Sorry if a thread like this was already posted.....

IMO b/c Moss isn't as tough as Welker, and he drops more balls than Welker...For us to use Moss like Welker it would actually involve Moss making a lot of catches in traffic around LB's and to always run the right route as Welker runs a lot of option routes...All things I don't think Moss could consistently do....

i didn't have a problem w/ El in the slot at the beginning but he doesn't find the soft zone and lanes like welker does. Maybe moss can do that. Also, look at Desan Jackson. He's of the same stature as moss and they are used as the outside WR running up the seam so I can see both.

Think about how dangerous Moss would be on the crossing patterns that Welker runs in the Pats system. Santana would get 8-10 catches a game and would drive defenses crazy, especially with Fred Davis running down the seam. On the outside we put a big receiver like Marko Mitchell, Devin Thomas or Malcolm Kelly. We could go two TE's, two WR's and a single set back. With two TE's we could go max protect if necessary sometimes or run either one of them out in patterns depending on the match ups. I gotta believe Shanahan X2 is gonna be looking at this.

One other benefit to this would be that Santana would always be involved in the passing downs no matter who the play is designed for first. He would not lose interest in the offense.

Sorry if a thread like this was already posted.....

I'd love to see that but it would depend on if DT and MK (or MM) could take the number 1 and 2 spots and we could get a decent run threat keeping them out of nickel or dime. Think about the number of times ARE was open with room to run on those underneath routes, if you could get the same coverage, Moss would have likely turned some of those 8-9 yarders into 20-30 yard gains! Also, since Moss is a fair down field blocker, we might be able to break some long runs because we might get numbers allowing the back to break into a sprint much sooner.

IMO b/c Moss isn't as tough as Welker, and he drops more balls than Welker...For us to use Moss like Welker it would actually involve Moss making a lot of catches in traffic around LB's and to always run the right route as Welker runs a lot of option routes...All things I don't think Moss could consistently do....

My thoughts exactly. I love Santana, but he does not take a hit as well as Welker and drops short passes from time to time.

Santana Moss is our number one unfortunately.

If we had a legitimate #1 then Moss could play the slot, but we're not that smart.

We picked Taylor Jacobs over Anquan Boldin. I love my life!!!

This...

At this point Moss is still our #1. It doesn't matter where you put him, he's the one teams are gonna try to take away. I don't think he's as shifty as Welker either, and combined with him most likely having to adjust to a slightly off target throw, he'd have a harder time racking up the YAC.

Because Moss isn't Wes Welker.

It isn't just about running the same paterns. It's how well you get open running them. Wes is explosively quick and powerful in those short patterns. He's just plain talented at it.

Moss still has good top end speed. He maybe faster than Wes when he gets moving, but he is no where near as quick and powerful in bursts. He just isn't as good at getting open.

Tana simply doesnt have the hands to be a possession slot receiver IMO.

Welker & Moss are small. They are quick.

The similarities pretty much end there.

Bingo. Welker is bad at gaining a step on a corner in man coverage and beating him deep. This is one of the strongest parts of Santana's game.

However, put Santana across the middle and ask him to find a hole in the coverage, and he'll drop it 75% of the time. The only exception is the quick slant route, which still appears to only hit about 50/50.

1) Moss isn't as sure handed as Welker.

2) Moss isn't as tough as Welker. Look how beat up Welker is.

3) We don't have time to throw the football.

4) Like others said, we don't a true #1 that requires teams to roll coverage too.

That pretty much sums it up, especially the tough part.

Archived