Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Don't We Use Santana Moss Like Wes Welker is Used?

kingdaddy

How about considering moving Moss into the slot at various times during the game but still using him on the outside as well? Give the defense something more to think about. Use him as a decoy to open up other things. Slide him underneath and shoot Fred Davis down the seam?

just curious....is there a rumor that we are interested in getting marshall or is it just the people on here that are hoping we do?

If we were interested in Marshall I'd guess he'd already have been here for a visit. Word is that he and Shanahan don't see eye to eye. Shanny loved him on Sundays but hated his Mon-Sat work ethic/attitude.

Why Don't We Use Santana Moss Like Wes Welker is Used?

I'm thinking you mean in the Slot?

My opinions:

1) Tana is the only receiver on the roster that sometimes draws a double team; without having a WR like Randy Moss on the outside occupying a corner and a safety the defense will shift their attention to Tana in the slot and likely bracket him so he wouldn't get open as often as Welker

2) Wes Welker has better hands and although Welker isn't a big guy he's seems to play much tougher then Tana

1) No true #1 to let Tana flourish

2) No self discipline in route running with Tana. Welker is the king of doing EXACTLY what the system is designed to do and flourishes because of it. Tana is from the U. He gotta flourish. Slot receiver isnt shiny enough for someone from da U.

Great question. Been asking myself the same question. I love Santana but he's not the prototypical #1 WR in the NFL. People always wanna blame JC for our passing woes but for some reason Cooley has become a star with JC throwing him the ball. Moss needs to be in the slot and needs to train in the offseason with Steve Smith to get tough and sell out on his routes. He runs crisp routes but doesn't sell out on many of them. I can bet my house that Campbell won't over throw Randy Moss Larry Fitzgerald or Brandon Marshall!

As of right now, Moss is by far and away our best WR. In fact, the only reciever that is even close to being as good as him is Cooley.

I agree that having Moss play the slot would be awesome. He would torch any defense, but we need to have atleast one other good reciever on the outside other wise its pointless to have Moss in the slot. The defense just shifts to cover the slot reciever.

Moss isn't a slot guy for the most part. He doesn't like contact and will fall down at the sight of it. His moves are overrated and rarely will ever cut hard enough to juke anyone. Moss's main move is the spin and thats not all that useful.

Campbell also sucks at the quick slants, anything short and fast, and lacks the anticipation required to get the ball out and in his receivers hand as soon as they make their break. He routinely waited till his receivers had many more yards of separation then needed until he got rid of the ball leading to very small windows for his receivers to get yards after the catch.

Anyone can throw to someone wide open. Jason lacks the anticipation to get the ball to his guys as soon as they break coverage.

What would it matter if we had Welker and every receiver who made the probowl when our qb is just going to dump the ball off everytime.

This is a good point as well. And then it seems that our QB is unable to put the ball on spot where the reciever can catch in run even in those dump offs passes.

What would it matter if we had Welker and every receiver who made the probowl when our qb is just going to dump the ball off everytime.

That's pretty much all Welker catches anyway.

can u imagine how difficult it was for campbell to throw to 2 dwarfs(randle el,moss).im so glad we got rid of el.we need are big 2nd round receivers to step their games up so we can get santana better matchups.no other receiver on our roster posed a threat to defenses. when you have to throw to a little receiver in tight coverage ur throw has to be perfect.and i think campbell was hesitant a lot because he had little room for error.receivers 6'3 or 6'4 u can throw it more in an area cuz they can go get it

I am not sure we need to run Moss in the same role as a Wes Welker .

I think Moss is far more deadly outside as the speedy downfield WR who takes coverage with him .

We have Cooley, Davis and Kelly who can run those over the middle slot possession type catches ( and Cooley and Davis has shown they are capable of that role) and to an extenct ARE made most of his catches in that role because he was never fast, but quick .

Archived