Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenberg's slip of the tongue gets him in hot water

MattFancy

Um...because one actually said something derogatory and the other did not?

Did you listen to the clip?

Greenberg did nothing wrong here.

Except calling the most prolific civil rights activist of th 20th century 'coon king'.

Come on man, you can slip up, but not this bad dude. I don't think its a big deal personally, nor do I think he meant it, he still ****ed up.

So because he's a rich Jew from NY, he's disqualified from the racist crowd. But, if a middle/lower class construction worker from Virginia had the same slip up, then you'd count him in the racist crowd.

You are no different than racists. You are just prejudiced toward different types of people.

I think what the other poster was saying is that "coon" isn't in really in the NY Jew vernacular ... and hence he wasn't purposely being derogatory.

i am not sure if I AGREE with him about that point... but I think that was the point

You guys still don't seem to understand that "coon" in that sense is a southern word, people just don't say it up here, nor did they really ever. Yet when I lived down south, they did and still do.

Edit: Greenberg is a NYer born and raised.

I get it. You don't seem to get that there are southerners who go coon hunting, with their coon dogs that they raise and enter into contests all over the south (and PA). This coon hunting is literally using your dogs to tree raccoons. So not every southerner that uses the word coon is referring to blacks. My uncle took me coon hunting as a kid all the time, and I never heard him use that word to refer to anything other than the animal he was treeing/training his dogs with.

Does that word ever get used racially? Yes, but not nearly as predominantly as you are describing. At least not for the last 30 years.

dude whatever, you're prejudice towards southerners. Own it and get over it.

Regardless to how I feel about southerns (I grew up in VA and got the hell outta dodge), what I'm saying about the word is true. You may hear some crazy Staten Island or Brooklyn Italian saying the N word, but not "coon".

I get it. You don't seem to get that there are southerners who go coon hunting, with their coon dogs that they raise and enter into contests all over the south (and PA). This coon hunting is literally using your dogs to tree raccoons. So not every southerner that uses the word coon is referring to blacks. My uncle took me coon hunting as a kid all the time, and I never heard him use that word to refer to anything other than the animal he was treeing/training his dogs with.

Does that word ever get used racially? Yes, but not nearly as predominantly as you are describing. At least not for the last 30 years.

Well that's why I wrote it in quotes. Referring to the racist meaning.

Well that's why I wrote it in quotes. Referring to the racist meaning.
Yeah, it was a racist term back in the day. And there are still some hard core, KKK supporting hillbillies that probably still use it, but for the most part it is not a normal part of the lingo. Especially for the circle Greenberg runs in. No one pays attention to context anymore, just a soundbyte. Greenberg rails on anything intolerant, so to suggest that he would purposefully, and meaningfully refer to MLK with that word is ludicrous. Look at this thread, half the people calling for his head most likely never even listened to the clip...........

This whole argument has gotten out of control.

If anyone with half a brain listens to how it was said, with the immediate correction, and listens to the show and knows the type of person Mike Greenberg is, would realize it was a mistake.

But then what would pontificators talk about? Who would they slander? Who would feed the mass's need for Celebrity Scandal? I'm with you man, anyone who thinks it was anything other than a mix up of words is retarded IMHO.

Why would a celebrity with a good life and a good job do something so insignifigant to destroy everything he has?

How what was said? COON? Is that what he said? There a million other slip ups that are I'm the realm of reality here, this one is completely unsat.

Seems like you were pretty critical and fixed in your opinion earlier. Than I can't tell if you actually listened to the clip.

It is an amalgamation of 'King' and 'Junior'- In no ways is this racist or should even be dignified with discussion.

Sad.

Except calling the most prolific civil rights activist of th 20th century 'coon king'.

Come on man, you can slip up, but not this bad dude. I don't think its a big deal personally, nor do I think he meant it, he still ****ed up.

Really? you don't see how the words King and Junior could be mashed into the sound KUN? Because if you spell what he said that is what it would be. A pure mashup of the words King and Junior. So are people offended at the word he said or the sound he made? When you think about the way you would spell the sound he made in the context in which he made it you get Kun not the derogatory term.

I had a professor in school with a heavy accent. He would tell us to "take out a sheet of paper" but because of his accent it sounded like "take out a s*** of paper" and, juvenile kids that we were, we thought that was hilarious.

By the logic of some regarding the Greenberg non-incident, this professor should have been fired for cursing in a classroom. :doh:

some people cant understand how this "mistake" is very offensive to another group of people. thats the way of the world i guess...

i think greenberg used the term before and it subconciously (sp) slipped out. that my personal view.

but i am not saying he is a racist, and even if he is, so what, the world is full of racists. but he should face suspension, at least.

I have never heard 'coon' used in the racial context...I didn't even know it WAS a racial word.

Its definitely not a commonly used word that's for sure. Only place I've heard it before was Sothern Maryland, and even down there I'd say its very rare. If he really was trying to sound racist of offend someone, I think he would've used some other words.

some people cant understand how this "mistake" is very offensive to another group of people. thats the way of the world i guess...

i think greenberg used the term before and it subconciously (sp) slipped out. that my personal view.

but i am not saying he is a racist, and even if he is, so what, the world is full of racists. but he should face suspension, at least.

I guess some people just can't understand the difference between actually saying a racial slur and combining two words that sound like a racial slur.

He didn't say the word. He said something that sounded like it. If he said the word, whether by accident or intentionally, then it is very understandable how that is offensive to blacks. But he didn't.

I guess some people just can't understand the difference between actually saying a racial slur and combining two words that sound like a racial slur.

He didn't say the word. He said something that sounded like it.

Exactly. Listen to the clip. He clearly is talking fast and combines "King" and "Junior" into something that sounds like "Kun". If he didn't stop himself it would've sounded like "Kunior".

Exactly. Listen to the clip. He clearly is talking fast and combines "King" and "Junior" into something that sounds like "Kun". If he didn't stop himself it would've sounded like "Kunior".

ok, i just watched again. it sounded, to me, like "...martin luther c**n KING jr..."

like he caught the mess up as soon as he said it. thats the way i heard it. sorry.

Regardless to how I feel about southerns (I grew up in VA and got the hell outta dodge), what I'm saying about the word is true. You may hear some crazy Staten Island or Brooklyn Italian saying the N word, but not "coon".

You mean regardless of your prejudice, right? Funny how you're allowed to push your prejudice off to the side like it's nothing while you sit here and realize how wrong you were about someone else being prejudice.

Bottom line is, as someone else pointed out, "coon" isn't only used as a racial slur in the south. Grow up and learn some culture before you talk down on a group of people that you don't like. Your prejudice has left you looking ignorant, congrats.

Nobody and I mean nobody should have a slip of the tongue of that nature. I don't care how people try to spin it. You don't ever make the mistake of saying "coon" where the name "King" should be. I don't care how fast Greenberg talked, you shouldn't make that kind of mistake.

:helmet:

Nobody and I mean nobody should have a slip of the tongue of that nature. I don't care how people try to spin it. You don't ever make the mistake of saying "coon" where the name "King" should be. I don't care how fast Greenberg talked, you shouldn't make that kind of mistake.

:helmet:

So what if MLK was white and Greeny slipped and said coon. Would it still be an issue?

I have never heard 'coon' used in the racial context...I didn't even know it WAS a racial word.

Perhaps Obama should invite Greenberg and MLK to the Whitehouse and they can discuss this issue over some beers.

I heard it all the time growing up in Northern Virginia, but that was a long time ago.

Archived