Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenberg's slip of the tongue gets him in hot water

MattFancy

It sounded like Coon because he caught himself before he added the ior on it. Unfortunately that resulted in it sounding like a derogatory remark.
I agree with this.

I can't stand the Mike & Mike show, but this isn't a real story.

Keep ****ing that chicken.
Can we please bring this one back?

I think this is a little blown out of proportion. I just think he was talking fast and his words got jumbled. I doubt he was saying that on purpose. What do you guys think?

I watched this earlier and I agree with you, but today people are ALL too willing and way to fast with their itchy trigger fingers to call someone a racist.

With that said.

thatsracist8zn.gif

:D

I'll join the slip of the tongue crowd. I'll also add the over sensitivity relating to the black community is getting old. It would be one thing if everyone was held to the same hyper sensitive standard but being that the hip hop community is entirely immune from just about any cultural standard hearing about someone potentially losing a job over a slip of the tongue is outrageous.

so how come he should be fired but Harry Reid is given a pass?? seriously, it makes no sense to me at all.

So are you that Harry Reid hosts a sports talk show that I haven't heard about or that Mike Greenberg was publicly elected to host a show named after him?

So are you that Harry Reid hosts a sports talk show that I haven't heard about or that Mike Greenberg was publicly elected to host a show named after him?

huh???

let me rephrase you understand what I'm saying- Harry Reid should be held to the same, if not higher standard than a radio jockey. In other words, I feel it would be much more appropriate for people to call for Reid's resignation more so than Greenburg.

I don't think that people in highly elected office should get a pass especially when a radio talk person is not. (and I have no opinion if Greenberg slipped up or did it racially)

What did he say about MLK?..... If I remember correctly that was the final straw of Greaseman's tenure here in DC. He made a joke in bad taste refferencing MLK... ended his career in this city for decades.

Greaseman's first offense was MLK I believe, his last one (I was listening at the time) was when a caller called up and tried to get him to listen to some rap music.. Greaseman's response was "No wonder they drag them behind trucks".. To my delight is his ignorant ass was no where to be found on the radio the next day.

Please listen to the clip. This is much ado about nothing. It was a barely audible, instant slip of the tongue, a mashing of "king" and "junior." No intent, Freudian or otherwise, was there.

It is a stupid non-controvery, except that it will be interesting to stand by and watch with grim fascination as bloggers, commenters, other people, and a small subsection of the media try to make hay out of it.

Yeah its no big deal just like the GOP guy who said Barney *** instead of Barney Frank, right??

Yet when people alter Rush or Beck audio to make it sound like they are racist against Haiti, liberals drag their feet or flat out refuse to apologize for the insults and negative comments, hoping the ignorant will continue to believe the lies presented by the Lame Stream media.

Greaseman's first offense was MLK I believe, his last one (I was listening at the time) was when a caller called up and tried to get him to listen to some rap music.. Greaseman's response was "No wonder they drag them behind trucks".. To my delight is his ignorant ass was no where to be found on the radio the next day.

Did he seriously say that?

huh???

let me rephrase you understand what I'm saying- Harry Reid should be held to the same, if not higher standard than a radio jockey. In other words, I feel it would be much more appropriate for people to call for Reid's resignation more so than Greenburg.

I don't think that people in highly elected office should get a pass especially when a radio talk person is not. (and I have no opinion if Greenberg slipped up or did it racially)

It was a joke - I think the two are apples and oranges. Reid should be held to a higher standard (though it is very hard to compare the two). I also think what Reid said was MUCH worse. Problem is, it's much hard to do something to an elected official - you can simply fire the DJ (though I 100% disagree with doing that in this instance)

I'm glad you did. The hip hop community DO NOT represent the black community.

I agree that they do not represent the entire black community and thus the edit. Unfortunately they represent a significant segment of it and one could easily make the case that it's a dominant segment among young people. I personally agree with the sentiment of many black leaders that feel it's prison culture invading and infecting black culture in America. Hip hop rabidly promotes horrid stereotypes one multiple channels and radio stations nation wide without a peep of complaint from society at large.

While that is the case, firing Greenberg for a slip of the tongue is a travesty and opens the door for the amazingly annoying "reverse racism" (aka permanent victim) crowd to start whining.

I agree that they do not represent the entire black community and thus the edit. Unfortunately they represent a significant segment of it and one could easily make the case that it's a dominant segment among young people. I personally agree with the sentiment of many black leaders that feel it's prison culture invading and infecting black culture in America. Hip hop rabidly promotes horrid stereotypes one multiple channels and radio stations nation wide without a peep of complaint from society at large.

It doesn't represent the smart ones. It represents the weak minded. I said it years ago and I'll say it again, hip hop was one of the worst things to happen to blacks.

Interesting. I watch the show just about every morning when I'm getting ready to go to work. But I'm not really a huge fan. I watch because I've already seen the Sportscenter highlights from the night before, and it is the best sports programming on TV at that time.

My biggest complaint with these guys is that Golic is a know-it-all, and both hosts lack personality, kiss the A-- of every guest on the show, and won't take any controversial stand. Heck, the most meaningful stand that either one of them has taken that I can recall was the Henson Twitter comments last year. And that was likely because Henson was the easiest target in the NFL - a guy who doesn't even dress on Sundays. He couldn't respond to these guys in a way that someone with more star power could. They are simply too cowardly to go after anyone else. This despite the popularity of the show and the great forum that they have to express their thoughts.

With that in mind, I'm sure it was a complete accident. Greeny would never intentionally say something like that. However - you don't make that mistake in that manner unless you have at least heard the phrase several times, if not said it.

I am not a big fan of saying that a person should lose his livelihood. That's terrible. However, a few factors why he should be removed in this situation:

1) Mike and Mike work for Disney. The margin of error for Disney employees should be zero.

2) The show is in large part (while I agree not solely) a product of its time slot. The show is, in my opinion, better when Erik and other guest hosts take over duties on the show.

3) He offended people. Regardless of intent, it happened. This might have an impact on viewers (although probably negligible); it will likely impact guests on the show; and it hurts ESPN's image with players, personnel, and fans.

Greeny should be removed from the show, and new programming should take its slot. He is still hirable and he could grab another position somewhere else, albeit in a different format. He is more of a reporter, and not a commentator.

It doesn't represent the smart ones. It represents the weak minded. I said it years ago and I'll say it again, hip hop was one of the worst things to happen to blacks.

You know I don't blame hip hop at all. People will do whatever pays. I think it's amazing how the rest of our incredibly touchy society just went along with it.

Archived