Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenberg's slip of the tongue gets him in hot water

MattFancy

i pride myself on being fair, so dont take this question the wrong way, its just a question. here goes...

is it ever ok to say "Martin Luther C**n"???

i ask because i have shared this story with a few friends (black) and they are all up in arms, saying thats not a slip of the tongue. what say you?

If your name is Martin, and you work at Luther Auto in Coon Rapids, Minnesota, you might answer the phone: "Martin, Luther Coon Rapids"

http://ncford.lutherauto.com/

If you were on Jeopardy, the category was "Before & After," and the clue was "This writer of 95 theses founded the Metropolitan Opera in New York," you might answer "Who is Martin Luther Kountz."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9E0DE7DD103BEE3ABC4052DFB2668383609EDE

And if you were a sports radio host talking very quickly and trying to say "Martin Luther King Junior," you might accidentally say, "Martin Luther Kun..."

Nonsense, I've heard him referred to as Dr. King, Martin Luther King, MLK plenty of times. I'm not saying inscriptions or biographical data should leave out the junior, I'm saying I would not include it---now that we see what can happen, I'm just saying.

BTW, I can't recall specifics but I've heard people slip up like this by combining words or just sounding strange (not offensive) because they skipped ahead in their mind and began saying a word that was meant for 1 second later. It seems pretty clear that this was a mistake.

True, but I've also heard Martin Luther King Jr as much.

i pride myself on being fair, so dont take this question the wrong way, its just a question. here goes...

is it ever ok to say "Martin Luther C**n"???

i ask because i have shared this story with a few friends (black) and they are all up in arms, saying thats not a slip of the tongue. what say you?

I'd say they need to listen to the clip before they pass any judgement. It was clearly a slip of the tongue, pretty much everyone on here that has said they listened agrees.

Most of the hip hop most kids listen too IS NOT positive. You can admit that, right. Most of these teens and young adults isn't trying to listen to anything positive. The hip hop that turns most of them on is "I don't give a damn, womanizing, pimping, F society, you mess with me and me and my boys will put a cap in yo arse."

Again, as I've already stated most of what you're talking about is the distorted version of "hip-hop" that BET, MTV, radio seem to be so hellbent on popularizing and I don't view that as actual hip-hop. However, I agree with what you're saying overall, and I get your point. It just tends to make me cringe a little when I see people lump all of hip-hop under the grouping of what's pushed out there in the limelight, because I know for a fact that that's nowhere near what true hip-hop is all about.

I could keep going, but that's not the point of this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Wow....really?

Oh yes, really. I have absolutely no problem saying that. I see and have seen it with my own eyes. And before you go there, I'm black.

It's like the ones who go out and kill someone because of something they saw in a movie or video game. Wouldn't only a weak minded person do that?

His "punishment" most likely depends on which political party he is a member of.

Well he is safe since he is liberal, though there has been an influx of slip of the tongue or out of context remarks by liberals lately, that immediately get the its no big deal response, while liberal news channels run with the bogus racist stories about Rush and Haiti that only get corrected on Fox News by playing the correct comments and the doctored one.

Forgot to post..you can file me under the slip of the tongue crowd because I doubt a New York born and raised Jewish sportscaster would come out the mouth with that. I don't like the guy's show but he seems like a decent enough guy. Overreaction on the AA community in my opinion.

Oh yes, really. I have absolutely no problem saying that. I see and have seen it with my own eyes. And before you go there, I'm black.

I would have gone with the commericalization of hip hop or something along those lines but whatever. I've moved on.

Well he is safe since he is liberal, though there has been an influx of slip of the tongue or out of context remarks by liberals lately, that immediately get the its no big deal response, while liberal news channels run with the bogus racist stories about Rush and Haiti that only get corrected on Fox News by playing the correct comments and the doctored one.

If you can correct the recent stories about Rush and Haiti, I'd like to hear it.

If you can correct the recent stories about Rush and Haiti, I'd like to hear it.

On Sunday's Face The Nation...

SCHIEFFER: Rush Limbaugh said, for example, that President Obama might try to use this for political means, to shore up support for himself in the black community. And he said we've already donated to Haiti, they call it the US income tax. What's your response to that?

CLINTON: Let's take a serious point that Mr. Limbaugh was making is that the Americans pay for the government and the military is down there doing their part. But in a disaster of this magnitude, there is no way that the government, which has other responsibilities as well, national security and other responsibilities, you just can't deal with this just with government money. That's what all these faith-based groups are doing down there. That's what all these other nongovernmental groups are doing. And we think Americans know that and want to help.

And Limbaugh never said "Don't send in donations for Haiti" or anything close to it. Clinton defending Limbaugh - to a certain degree - and knowing nothing was racist about it.

My career is in public speaking and education. I can't count the number of times I've been talking to a room full of well repected people and the words sex, ****, ****t have come out of my mouth because I was speaking fast and two words ran together. This was nothing more than a slip of the tongue and shouldn't be thought of twice. It is soooo embarassing when it happens but you move on.

so how come he should be fired but Harry Reid is given a pass?? seriously, it makes no sense to me at all.

Harry Reid comment was meant to build up Obama not be derogatory toward him...it just become an issue to the rest of the black population and rightfully so. Greeny had a slip of the tongue and Reid had intention behind his statement

On Sunday's Face The Nation...

SCHIEFFER: Rush Limbaugh said, for example, that President Obama might try to use this for political means, to shore up support for himself in the black community. And he said we've already donated to Haiti, they call it the US income tax. What's your response to that?

CLINTON: Let's take a serious point that Mr. Limbaugh was making is that the Americans pay for the government and the military is down there doing their part. But in a disaster of this magnitude, there is no way that the government, which has other responsibilities as well, national security and other responsibilities, you just can't deal with this just with government money. That's what all these faith-based groups are doing down there. That's what all these other nongovernmental groups are doing. And we think Americans know that and want to help.

And Limbaugh never said "Don't send in donations for Haiti" or anything close to it. Clinton defending Limbaugh - to a certain degree - and knowing nothing was racist about it.

I'm sorry, but that's not even close to a defense for what Rush actually said.

RUSH - Yes, I think in the, uh, Haiti earthquake, ladies and gentlemen — in the words of Rahm Emanuel — we have another crisis simply too good to waste. This will play right into Obama’s hands. Humanitarian, compassionate. Uh, they’ll use this to, uh, to burnish, uh, their, uh, uh, shall we say, “credibility” with the black community, uh — in the both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. Uh, it’s made-to-order for . That’s why he couldn’t wait to get out there, could not wait to get out there.

CALLER: Mega Rush Baby dittos. My question is, why did Obama in the sound bite you played earlier, when he’s talking about if you wanted to donate some money, you can go to WhiteHouse.gov –

RUSH: Yeah.

CALLER: — to direct you how to do so. If I want to donate money to the Red Cross, why do I need to go to the WhiteHouse.gov page and –

RUSH: Exactly. Would you trust that the money is going to go to Haiti?

CALLER: No.

RUSH: Would you trust that your name is going to end up on a mailing list for the Obama people to start asking you for campaign donations for him and other causes.

CALLER: Absolutely.

RUSH: Absolutely right.

CALLER: That’s the point.

RUSH: Besides, we’ve already donated to Haiti. It’s called the US income tax.

RUSH - Will someone ask Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, who is Rahm's brother and one of the lead White House people on health care whether they're planning cost benefit considerations for each Haiti victim. Will they consider age? Potential contribution to society? All the other factors we are assured are not ‘death panel' guidelines in our own health care system. This rescue, however compassionate, should at least have the same transparency as Obama promised for our health care. Remember he told a woman about her 95 year old mother, ‘no, no we probably wouldn't giver her pacemaker, give em a pill.' how many Haitians will we decide to give a pill? A legitimate question.

RUSH - It took him three days to go out and talk about the Christmas Day underwear bomber. It took him less than 18 hours to get out there and start rallying people about this earthquake.

Over a hundred thousand people are dead in an enourmous natural disaster right in our backyard, the USA is trying to respond, trying to help, and this is how Rush chooses to go?

This is the kind of person Rush is. He is politicizing a horrific tragedy and using it to attack the president. No matter how much you love Rush, you can't defend this. You really can't.

I love how folks can smear African American heroes and get a pass.
Tell that to this "folk."
January 17, 2005

LAS VEGAS -- A television weatherman was fired after referring to slain civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. as "Martin Luther Coon King" on the air, station officials said.

Rob Blair, of KTNV-TV, was delivering the extended forecast Saturday morning when he said: "Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Day, gonna see some temperatures in the mid-60s."

http://www.foxreno.com/news/4089831/detail.html

Where was his pass?

Archived