Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenberg's slip of the tongue gets him in hot water

MattFancy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/19/greenbergs-slip-of-the-tongue-gets-him-in-hot-water/

We somehow missed on Monday the debate that emerged regarding an unfortunate slip of the tongue by Mike Greenberg during the Mike & Mike in the Morning show on ESPN Radio.

Here's the background, from the NBCSports.com Out of Bounds blog.

Greenberg offered up a delayed apology, which implies that the issue caught sufficient fire to prompt the P.R. folks in Bristol to conclude that they should write something for Greenberg to green light.

But here's where it gets interesting, thanks to Brian, our unofficial proofreader and unpaid research assistant.

Five years ago, a Las Vegas weatherman was fired for doing the same damn thing, even after issuing this apology: "On a weather report earlier this morning, I made an accidental slip of the tongue when talking about the Martin Luther King holiday, and what I said was interpreted by many viewers as highly offensive. For that I offer my deepest apology. I in no way intended to offend anyone. I'm very sorry."

Then there's this

from the days when racism and hatred ran rampant in our country, which pops up at the top of the "Related Videos" box on YouTube after viewing the Greenberg clip.

Regardless of how this all turns out for Greenberg, who has aspirations much larger than his current gig (i.e., Monday Night Football), the lesson to anyone who talks into a microphone is to always remain in control of your tongue.

I think this is a little blown out of proportion. I just think he was talking fast and his words got jumbled. I doubt he was saying that on purpose. What do you guys think?

What did he say about MLK?..... If I remember correctly that was the final straw of Greaseman's tenure here in DC. He made a joke in bad taste refferencing MLK... ended his career in this city for decades.

As I recall, Greaseman's downfall came after he played a hip-hop track and then made some quip about a then-recent hate crime in which a black guy had been dragged behind a truck. I think he was implying some justification for the crime, given the quality of the song.

And he was fired. Which was right.

Edit: Did research. Looks like he first got into trouble for an MLK quip in the 80s, then got canned after the James Byrd comment in '97. And the song in question was by Lauryn Hill.

Yeah, greaseman was listening to a Lauryn Hill track and after it ended he made a comment like "no wonder people drag them behind trucks"

I think that's way different than what Mike Greenburg did. I have no way of knowing if Greenberg truly has racist feelings, but I htink what happened was an unfortunate slip.

he called him "martin luther c**n jr.".

I like Greenie.... but stick a fork in him... He's done.. Expressing that in a private converstation is offensive. On the radio, it's a career ender.

That's Terrible judgement...

I believe Greeseman was given several chances to clean up his act. Figure Greenie should too. but stronger action should be taken than just an on air apology.

Slip of the tongue. Nothing in the context to think that it meant anything.

On a related note, back when I was in college, I was watching a basketball game in the student lounge. Notre Dame was playing, and I have always rooted against Notre Dame. The Irish coach at that time was Digger Phelps. (see if you can guess where this is going).

Phelps did something, I don't remember what, and I yelled at the TV: "Sitdown! Jeez I hate that goddamned Digger!" but it came out as "Sitdown! Jeez I hate that goddamn N*****!" 30 faces turned toward me, every one of them raising the Spock eyebrow. You know...

spockeye.gif

I'm pretty sure I didn't mean to say that.

If you listen to the clip it is NOTHING more than a slip of the tongue. I can't even believe he is catching any flak over this.

I haven't listenned to the clip.... I hope you are right. I like Greenie. I guess we will know if radio stations start pulling the show.

How can you be in sports and primarily cover the NFL and be a racist? Jimmy the Greek did it. Al Campas did it in another era in another sport. It's just amaising to me.

Slip of the tongue. Nothing in the context to think that it meant anything.

On a related note, back when I was in college, I was watching a basketball game in the student lounge. Notre Dame was playing, and I have always rooted against Notre Dame. The Irish coach at that time was Digger Phelps. (see if you can guess where this is going).

Phelps did something, I don't remember what, and I yelled at the TV: "Sitdown! Jeez I hate that goddamned Digger!" but it came out as "Sitdown! Jeez I hate that goddamn N*****!" 30 faces turned toward me, every one of them raising the Spock eyebrow. You know...

spockeye.gif

I'm pretty sure I didn't mean to say that.

but you see that is just replacing one letter. King and C**n don't sound anything alike. The only way you make that mistake is if you have used that word often enough.

I honestly have never said that word in my life and there is no way I would ever mistakenly say it. Slip of the tongue or whatever, I don't believe that is the first or last time he uses that word.

I haven't listenned to the clip.... I hope you are right. I like Greenie. I guess we will know if radio stations start pulling the show.

How can you be in sports and primarily cover the NFL and be a racist? Jimmy the Greek did it. Al Campas did it in another era in another sport. It's just amaising to me.

Please listen to the clip. This is much ado about nothing. It was a barely audible, instant slip of the tongue, a mashing of "king" and "junior." No intent, Freudian or otherwise, was there.

It is a stupid non-controvery, except that it will be interesting to stand by and watch with grim fascination as bloggers, commenters, other people, and a small subsection of the media try to make hay out of it.

How could anyone say it was more than just a simple mistake? You might argue it's a Freudian slip (not that he subconsciously is actually a racist, but he thought too much about NOT slipping up, that he actually did slip up)... but to say Greenberg had any malice or intent is pretty ignorant. File this under a blooper reel and move on.

Well, this should be interesting.

People have been fired for less, but considering how successful that show is,, we'll see

~Bang

That's what I'm saying. They had no problems firing Harold Rynolds and Phillips. Of course, they didn't have their names on the show they were on.

Ahhh: I went from OMG! to Ohh...

but i'd believe it more if he said Kunior..

Well, too bad so sad.. bye now...

It sounded like Coon because he caught himself before he added the ior on it. Unfortunately that resulted in it sounding like a derogatory remark.

Archived