Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Greenberg's slip of the tongue gets him in hot water

MattFancy

I have spent time in the South. There are DEFINITELY a lot of racists down there to this day. To say that there isn't, is ignorant in of itself.

Blacks make up the majority of the incarcerated in the U.S. His statement is far less annecdotal than yours, if you really want to go there.

I have spent time in the South. There are DEFINITELY a lot of racists down there to this day. To say that there isn't, is ignorant in of itself.

This is my point and actually I've seen it in Western PA as well. People say jokes that are blatantly racist, yet they don't consider themselves racist. Some people in the south say the word coon (referring to a black person) and still don't think they are racist or that it isn't a big deal.

This is my point and actually I've seen it in Western PA as well. People say jokes that are blatantly racist, yet they don't consider themselves racist. Some people in the south say the word coon (referring to a black person) and still don't think they are racist or that it isn't a big deal.

Yeah, and I've seen crime committed by black people. But I'm not making sweeping generalizations based on personal observations.

So you're appalled by Dave Chappelle, whose standup (funny as hell I might add) consists largely of making race jokes aimed at whites?

And if you're not appalled, and find him funny, how are you at all different than the whites you describe?

Cool to make broad sweeping generalizations about whites and regions where whites are concerned; with minorities not so much. Just like Michael Irvin got away scott-free with his comments about Wes Welker last year, and Limbaugh gets fired.
Do you mean Irvin's comments about Tony Romo sits to pee?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2677581

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2681869

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-02-18-irvin-espn_x.htm

He apologized and was later fired ... I think Greenie will come out of this better than Irvin.

Do you mean Irvin's comments about Tony Romo sits to pee?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2677581

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2681869

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-02-18-irvin-espn_x.htm

He apologized and was later fired ... I think Greenie will come out of this better than Irvin.

Those too, but I found his comments about Welker far more offensive.

And he was NOT fired. He was allowed to finish his contract. Big difference.

Greeny has always talked fast. He's been doing this job for about close to 10 years and now you have a slip up. On the day celebrating a civil rights hero? Are you kidding me?

Well, that was the day that he would be using the words that he slipped up on. I mean, it is hard to imagine misstating Dr. King's name when you aren't talking about Dr. King. :whoknows:

So you're appalled by Dave Chappelle, whose standup (funny as hell I might add) consists largely of making race jokes aimed at whites?

And if you're not appalled, and find him funny, how are you at all different than the whites you describe?

There is so much wrong with your post here, but let me try.

First off, the two are totally different. A white person calling black people the N word in comedy vs A black person calling a white person a cracker in comedy, is not the same, see Kramer's stand up and the proceeding reactions by the public vs Dave Chappelle's.

Also a white person calling a black person a "coon" is and is meant to be derogatory, I can't believe you would even TRY to make that comparison. You are the epitome of a person that is racist and doesn't think/know it.

Honestly I don't want anything from him. There have been similar slip of the tongues in the past. I just don't want anyone to give him a pass. It's so easy for some people to brush off "coon" when they don't understand the disgusting meaning behind it.

:helmet:

I know exactly what it means, and I am a liberal who has had many a fight on this board over race issues in the past.

I still think it was a slip of the tongue and should be ignored. To do otherwise trivializes real injustice, and gives cover to those who claim that all racial prejudice is a thing of the past and that minorities are just a bunch of whiners who complain about nothing.

You weren't listening closely, were you? He said the word "coon". I'm not saying he should be suspended, this needs to be addressed by Greeny himself. Nobody would have a slip of the tongue with the word "coon" if they haven't heard it before.

We've all heard it before. That's not the issue.

The issue is whether he intended to say it. I don't see any evidence to think that he did, not from the tape and not from his past history.

I've lived all over the U.S. and overseas. There are racists everywhere. The japanese have a separate term for foreigner and black foreigner.

If someone like Limbaugh can be prevented from buying into the NFL for things he DIDN'T say I think there should be some consistency and Greenberg should be fired for something he DID say - slip of the tongue or not.

Honestly I don't want anything from him. There have been similar slip of the tongues in the past. I just don't want anyone to give him a pass. It's so easy for some people to brush off "coon" when they don't understand the disgusting meaning behind it.

I really don't understand your position.

It SOUNDS like you acknowledge that it was (likely) an accidental slip of the tongue, but you think he should be punished anyhow because the resulting word is so repulsive.

is that a fair reading of your position?

Cool to make broad sweeping generalizations about whites and regions where whites are concerned; with minorities not so much. Just like Michael Irvin got away scott-free with his comments about Wes Welker last year, and Limbaugh gets fired.

It's tough for white people in this country.

Someday, gated communities will have Starbucks INSIDE the gates.

I have a dream.

Those too, but I found his comments about Welker far more offensive.
You know, it is really hard to find any reference to those comments other than your post in the Tailgate, but I guess I'll take your word for it. Was this on a local radio show? Was he hosting?
And he was NOT fired. He was allowed to finish his contract. Big difference.
Well, technically, Rush wasn't fired either. He resigned.

http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2003/1001/1628537.html

And I always thought that the Rush thing was as much about politics as it was about race. He also never really tried to apologize, so I don't think he was really that interested in keeping the job.

In any case, Greenie's situation is completely different because he didn't mean to say what he said. He is not going to be fired (or not have his contract renewed or be encouraged to resign) over this.

I've lived all over the U.S. and overseas. There are racists everywhere. The japanese have a separate term for foreigner and black foreigner.

If someone like Limbaugh can be prevented from buying into the NFL for things he DIDN'T say I think there should be some consistency and Greenberg should be fired for something he DID say - slip of the tongue or not.

There is no reason to fire Greeny. For what a slip of the toungue? I sure hope you don't have a slip of the tongue at work. You should be fired for that.

This regional racist crap is BS.

I was born in Philadelphia, PA. My parents were relocated (Dad's job) from Richmond, VA a few months before my birth. I grew up in NY, PA, MA, MD, VA, and NC. My last job took me all over the country and across the pond. I have witnessed racism EVERYWHERE, not just the south.

My entire family is from the south, I'm the only Yankee :( not a single one of my family members is a racist.

There is so much wrong with your post here, but let me try.

You are the epitome of a person that is racist and doesn't think/know it.

:munchout:

Exactly. I'll take Freudian Slips for $100 Alex.

C'mon Marcellus Wiley step up and say something.

But even if it is a Freudian slip, does that mean:

(a) He uses that phrase all the time in KKK meetings when he is talking about MLK.

(B) He heard the slur once as a child when his grand-uncle came to visit.

© He was watching a documentary on MLK the previous night and saw someone use that slur.

(d) He heard about the weatherman in Las Vegas who was fired for saying the same thing five years ago.

...even if it came from his subconscious, how do we know what it means?

Archived