Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haslett Hired as DC. (Merged)

Farbod21

Let me ask all u junior gms on this board a question. Do you donkeys know what's better for the redskins more than Bruce Allen and mike shanahan? Seriously. Do you think we are going to the super bowl next year? If shanny and Allen thinks it's better for the redskins future I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Some of you idiots just like to ***** and moan about everything and it's usually the same idiots in every thread. Go get some ***** or something. Damn.
Exactly....these guys are all looking for bandaids and not long-term solutions. Sounds like a lot of Vinny's around here. People interested in playing year to year and not interested in building and entire football team with an identity....

Yup. People bash Snyder for his impatience, and then I talk to Skins fans and I really see that us fans are any different.

No. Trying to implement a 3-4 defense on a team filled with 4-3 personnel is a Vinny type move.

No one has all the facts. We don't even know if this report is totally true, but if it is, it's a pretty major change for our team. Something definitely worth all the whoopla going on in this thread.

I could definitely see them transitioning to a 3-4 within a year or two. We already have at least 4 guys in our front seven that are 30+ years of age. I doubt they'll be with us in a couple years.

If they plan on doing it this season, then look for some big moves in free agency.

Haslett's defenses don't usually rank in the top ten, but the Redskins have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to rank in the top ten. Through reference, Haslett likes to multiformationalize his defenses. It would be interesting to see Haslett run a 4-3 defense one play and then run a 3-4 the next play, which he has been known to do.

I would argue that we don't have some good pieces for a 3-4 defense already in place....

D-Line

Haynesworth- Could play NT or DE....I'd prefer to get another NT in there and have Haynesworth move back and forth between both positions.

Lorenzo Alexander- I think this diamond in the rough. He is too small to start as a 4-3 DT and doesn't have the speed to be a starting end. I think with his size he is the ideal DE in a 3-4.

Jarmon- Depending on how his rehab goes, he has the size to play the end in a 3-4 defense.

Anothony Montgomery- Has the size to play NT, depends on the fire....

Linebackers

Orakpo- Not much to say, easily slides in a ROLB....Prototype for the position...

Chris Wilson- Another guy who might fit in extremely well in a 3-4.....

Rocky McIntosh- I've read people say he doesn't have the size to play inside in a 3-4 but size wise he's the same height and 3 pounds lighter then Brooking so I don't think its out of the realm of possibility....

I think a lot of you guys fail to realize that while this is a re-tooling, there will be substantial turnover and a lot of the guys who Gibbs and Cerrato brought in will be cycled out....But we do have pieces in place to make the move if the coaches deem it best.

Orakpo will be a natural at the 3-4 pass rushing OLB spot ala Ware, Harrison, Merriman etc. The rest of our front seven I'm not so sure about. Jarmon could probably be a solid run stopping DE, and I think Wilson could play the other OLB spot, but I really don't know where Haynesworth or Carter fit. Carter was pretty lousy in San Francisco when the 49ers switched to the 3-4 IIRC. Fletcher is a beast and it probably doesn't matter if he plays in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Let me ask all u junior gms on this board a question. Do you donkeys know what's better for the redskins more than Bruce Allen and mike shanahan? Seriously. Do you think we are going to the super bowl next year? If shanny and Allen thinks it's better for the redskins future I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Some of you idiots just like to ***** and moan about everything and it's usually the same idiots in every thread. Go get some ***** or something. Damn.

Amen. Best post I've read in a long time. Some people around here need to get a grip and have a reality check.

It's nice to see change. Haslett seems like an intense guy, which is good. For anyone who actually watched any Redskins football last year know that our defense was pathetic and any ranking is BS. Those rankings don't mean anything. We had the most porous, frustrating 3rd down defense you can imagine and they couldn't stop a team when it counted if their lives depended on it.

Any change is good change! And it really is all up to the players. A coach can only do so much, so I don't put all my stock into the def. coordinator.

It's nice to see change. Haslett seems like an intense guy, which is good. For anyone who actually watched any Redskins football last year know that our defense was pathetic and any ranking is BS. Those rankings don't mean anything. We had the most porous, frustrating 3rd down defense you can imagine and they couldn't stop a team when it counted if their lives depended on it.

Any change is good change! And it really is all up to the players. A coach can only do so much, so I don't put all my stock into the def. coordinator.

Excellent point!

I remember him the most from his days with the Saints.. he is a fiery coach.... I don't remember his scheme but he gets after his players in a good way...And who can forget a couple of years ago when he took over the Rams and came into FED EX and beat us....to give them their 1st win of the season after Scott Linehan had been fired....he is a motivator...Still unconfirmed though.

I was very impressed by his stint with the Rams. A highly motivated guy. I will admit that's all I really know of him though as I didn't pay much attention when he was with the Saints.

What's not to like?? Excellent DC who also has HC experience. Allied to that we have a young, up and coming OC who has worked wonders in Houston and a proven winner as head coach. Attitude and discipline start at the top, we now have the kind of NFL coaching staff that fans, journos and most importantly the players, can only respect. The rest will fall into place over the next couple of drafts and seasons.

Negativity, coaching speculation, Snyder bashing etc. etc. should now disappear and all we'll here about is FOOTBALL. Hope is restored, the path back to where we belong looks clear, our journey has begun once more!!

Haters/whingers/moaners/doom-mongers can GTF.

Hail!!!

:applause: Right to the heart of it, we have had a D that plays for stats instead of results, how's that workin for ya?

Don't you people watch football? I mean football, not just the Skins, but the other teams, the whole rest of the game? Haslett regularly got defenses to overperform, to exceed expectations with mid-level talent. He is very fiery, very emotional, one of those coaches that gets his guys fired up, right in their midst egging them on. There will be no unapproachable Blache-style relationships on the sideline, Haslett is "get up in your face and make himself heard!" kinda guy, and I know I am amped to see some more of that spirit in our D. He is a proponent of an attacking style, really get after the QB kinda game, and will not hesitate to pull someone for a rook that is champing at the bit. He is not so arrogant that he will have a set scheme and spend all his time trying to pound round pegs into square holes, rather he'll adapt to what talent he has available. The downside is that he will get burned on slants and screens because he's sending the house after the QB, but that's always a tradeoff and lately we haven't seen enough of that attitude. I would rather lose game where we got caught being too aggressive rather than just run over in some weakass prevent crap.

Everyone please remember as you are bemoaning potential changes. We were

4-12

We were better than 3 teams in the league. We have the 4th pick in the draft for a reason. We now have smart, experienced football coaches making decisions for our beloved Redskins. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Haslett is a good hire. Couple things to consider about him...

As HC, won the Saints their first ever playoff. He is also a NFL coach of the year (doesnt mean that much).

I remember how bad I felt for him and the Saints after Katrina. They played entire season away from home, practiced in sub par conditions, etc. The owner at the time was considering moving the team to San Antonio. Despite all of this, he lead his team. While the record was poor, alot of those players would go through the wall for him.

His downfall was sticking with Brooks as a QB too long. I wonder how he would have done with Brees, and a owner recommitted to the team/city.

next order of buisness lets get bobby april
He's already interviewed with two teams and has more interviews lined up. Unfortunately, he has no interview scheduled with the Redskins.

You sure about that? :)

If it's for the reasons I'm hoping, Haslett was a good hire. I think (I hope) Shanahan wants to be able to run a hybrid of both systems, so it's important to get a guy who is well versed in both. There aren't that many guys out there like that. Off the top of my head Zimmer and Nolan are the only ones I can think of who've actually had success in both systems. Haslett was the other.

If this is what he's thinking, it could be a very good thing for us and its what allowed Haslett to drive up his price. If it's to convert fully to a 3-4, I'm not particularly thrilled and will take a wait and see approach.

One thing to remember from the pollyanna file though, we dont need a top 5 defense if our offense gets better. It should under Shanahan. If Haslett can keep the defense on the upper side of 10th, we'll be okay.

Archived