Haslett's rankings as DC:

1996 Saints - 13th

1997 Steelers - 6th

1998 Steelers - 12th

1999 Steelers - 11th

2006 Rams - 23rd

2007 Rams - 21st

2008 Rams (also interim HC) - 28th

Mixed results, but it looks like if he has something to work with talent wise that he gets the most out of them. The only concern is that he prefers a 3-4 and we don't have the personnel for a 3-4.

The only problem with that is that Haslett took over a Steelers defense that was #2 ranked in 1996. It seems like he can make bad defenses mediocre . . . and good defenses mediocre.

I hope he sticks with the 4-3 as well. I dont think we have the personel for the 3-4

Maybe not the personell for a traditional 3-4 but I think we have a perfect fit for hybrid version. It could happen in game to. Wilson Orakpo are the interchangable pieces. With AH, Jarmon, and Carter steady on the line. It could work.

Maybe not the personell for a traditional 3-4 but I think we have a perfect fit for hybrid version. It could happen in game to. Wilson Orakpo are the interchangable pieces. With AH, Jarmon, and Carter steady on the line. It could work.

Thats why i was saying that he could bring a mixture.

The only problem with that is that Haslett took over a Steelers defense that was #2 ranked in 1996. It seems like he can make bad defenses mediocre . . . and good defenses mediocre.

Great!, it seems skins and mediocrity can never let one another go, how cute:doh:

Kind of an underwhelming hire. Not hating it, not loving it.

I feel the same way, unfortunately with Zimmer out of the picture they weren't going to get anyone with a more proven track record although I would have liked to see Gray get the job for continuity purposes if Haslett was the best they could do.

Thats why i was saying that he could bring a mixture.

If the coaches can plug it in and get it to work properly it would be a fun defense to watch and confusing for teams to figure out. Because they could change over to a 3-4 or a 4-3 right before the snap. Just daydreaming a little and I like it.

Haslett will bring an aggressiveness and discipline that has been severely lacking in our defense. He is a workaholic. He coaches with the mentality of an old undersized linebacker. From what I understand, he definitely played with an attitude and he brings that same attitude as a coach. I will be very happy if this is true.

Not a big fan of this hire but I will trust Shanahan knows what he's doing.

I share your disappointment. I was hoping we would get someone young, and fresh ... Someone like a Rex Ryan who's defense is not only aggressive, but punishing. Or someone along the lines of Monty Kiffen, Jimmy Jonhson, etc.:mad:

That being said, welcome Jim. Let's see what you can do to improve our defense.

Archived