Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haslett Hired as DC. (Merged)

Farbod21

Haslett's defenses don't usually rank in the top ten, but the Redskins have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to rank in the top ten. Through reference, Haslett likes to multiformationalize his defenses. It would be interesting to see Haslett run a 4-3 defense one play and then run a 3-4 the next play, which he has been known to do.

This is how he can be successful here. In about 3 years making a formal switch. Each year drafting and adding some players that fit a 3-4 team until we finally have a team that can run a 3-4.

Everyone please remember as you are bemoaning potential changes. We were

4-12

We were better than 3 teams in the league. We have the 4th pick in the draft for a reason. We now have smart, experienced football coaches making decisions for our beloved Redskins. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Total clowns on the message board here. The majority of you are the same guys who preach build...build....and now we have a new coaching staff and GM running the show and people are bent out of shape that they are trying to build around a philosophy....People on this board would rather piggyback off of the same bland non scoring defense we've had and want the coaching staff to worry about the offense only....I'd rather we have a GM and coach build a TEAM in the image they're envisioning. If that includes a 3-4 then so be it...I for one am excited to see this play out....

These two posts pretty much sum how I feel.

Dan Synder has done what "the fans" asked him to do.

Now it's time to let Bruce Allen and Coach Shanahan to move this franchise into the future.

I look forward to seeing all the new and wonderful changes in store. I'm quite certain it will all not be so pleasant,but I know our GM has this franchise's best interests at heart 100%.

Here's what you need to know, Jim Haslett was able to field a good team with Aaron Brooks as his QB!!!! Now all he has to do is be our D-coach?! Great hire. Tough, knowledgeable, experienced coach. Like somebody else said, no more 15 yard cushions!!! If we get any kind of talent around here this team is going to ******* take off.

Not sure if a swami is needed for this.

April has interest from the Skins, Steelers and 49ers. He has interviews already set up with the 49ers and Skins and working out time to talk to Pittsburgh.

He's already spoken with the 9ers and Steelers.:)

I think this is a really really bad move...

People talk about how fiery he is, his characteristics and all that, but all I really care about is can he coach a good defense. Nothing in his career has demonstrated he can do that. He has never had a really good defense, and since the Steelers in 1997 has struggled to crack the top 20. He has struggled just to put out a mediocre defense...Oy. There is a reason he was coaching in the UFL.

just something to think about...Grudens brother is/was an assistant to Haslett

Bruce Allen has worked with Jon Gruden...Kyle also worked with Bruce and Jon Gruden...and Jay Gruden was also a part of tampa bay coaching staff at the time (worked with Kyle,Bruce)

I wonder if Gruden...Jay not Jon will also be a part of our coaching staff...maybe qb coach?

http://www.ufl-football.com/teams/florida_tuskers/coaches

Well all the reports I have read say that Haslett is know for his agresive defensive schemes. This puts a smile on my face.

With his knoledge of both the 3-4 and 4-3, I can see him utilizing both in the course of a game.

Heh heh heh, let Romo sits to pee, Mcnabb and Manning try to figure out where the blitze is coming from now. :D

No. Trying to implement a 3-4 defense on a team filled with 4-3 personnel is a Vinny type move.

No one has all the facts. We don't even know if this report is totally true, but if it is, it's a pretty major change for our team. Something definitely worth all the whoopla going on in this thread.

I love you on MTV's "Jersey Shore."

So are you saying that our team, with a record of 4-12, doesnt need major change?? I could care less that we were ranked 10 in total defense last year. That side of the ball played with ZERO heart and was, as Eddie Murphy would say, s-o-f-T, sofTTT! If the regime thinks this is what best for the team who is ANYBODY on this board to question it?? Does anyone on here make a living coaching or scouting or doing anything in the NFL?? Lol.

Are you basically saying you know whats better for the Skins then Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen and Jim Haslett? This move is made to help the skins for LONG TERM SUCCESS! Yeah, we might struggle next year on the defensive side of the ball, but we might not (Pack had a pretty solid defensive team this year right?). But this is a move you make for the future success of the team. Its not Vinny calling the shots anymore man. Have some faith that these guys, with proven track records, know what they are doing.

And I stopped watching MTV 10 years ago so you will have to fill me there buddy.

I'm still trying to figure why Shanny wanted Haslett... is there a connection there? Just curious...

What I do like about this hire is that it was NOT a "sexy" hire meaning Snyder was not the one making this choice.... and that is a good sign. A great sign!

People keep talking about his aggressive schemes in St. Louis and New Orleans. I look at his record and stats and all i see are average numbers. Am I missing something?

Seriously, name all of the great players those teams had on D. I think he made the most of what he had and then some. To do average with almost nothing is better than 10 with the talent we have.

Prior to becoming the Saints’ head coach, Haslett made his mark as defensive coordinator in Pittsburgh, where he helped the Steelers win the AFC Central division in 1997. In his three years there, Haslett guided his defense to NFL rankings of sixth, 12th, and 11th, respectively.

His units were particularly stout against the run, leading the league twice, and finishing third once, in rushing yards allowed per attempt. Linebacker Chad Brown, linebacker Levon Kirkland (twice), safety Carnell Lake (twice), defensive tackle Joel Steed and cornerback Rod Woodson all earned Pro Bowl selections under Haslett’s watch.

I like it, he knows how to find defensive talent and utilize them. :point2sky

Archived