Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conan O'Brien & Jay Leno Saga (MET)

88Comrade2000

I know im in the minority, but I always liked The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I understand he might not be the best person, but I always laughed at Jaywalking and Headlines.

That said, Jimmy Kimmel is my favorite late night host...by far. He is hilarious, and completely destroyed Leno in that clip. Especially in the last 15 seconds.

Those two things you mentioned though were funny because of the Headlines or the dumb people on the street. It wasn't like Jay was telling good jokes or anything.

I use to like Leno but after all that's been happening lately it's hard to like the guy. He's really being a prick to Conan and the The Tonight Show imo.

I really liked the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and was disappointed to see him leave last summer. I wasn't too sure about Conan because I had never really watched his other show. I have gotten to really like his Tonight Show, but I still don't think he is as great as a lot of people on here make him seem. NBC needs to give Conan time to build up an audience. Thats what I hate about things nowadays. Whether it is the nfl, nascar, tv or anything else, you have to win right away or you or out of luck. Some people are great right away, but others need time. Jay is really being unfair in this situation. He has had his turn to be the host, and he had agreed to give the show to Conan. Sure, you never what to leave something you love doing and I believe change sucks, but it is time for Jay to move on. His 10 o'clock show sucks and now it is time to leave. He could come back and maybe do some specials every once in a while, but he needs to let Conan have his chance. Jay is close to 60 years old, so what is going to do is show for maybe 5 years or something? You would think NBC would rather go with a younger guy with more of a future like Conan, but I guess they think Jimmy Fallon will be ready in a couple of years.

Just read that the creator of Sons of Anarchy offered Conan a role in his show if he wants it with an IRA story arch upcoming.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/01/conan-obrien-gets-a-job-offer-from-sons-of-anarchy.html

That seems right up Conan's ally. We've seen him play the badass in his bit Noches de Pasion: Consenior O'Brien :rotflmao:

http://denver.metromix.com/home/article/ap-source-deal-near/1712541/content

NBC is nearing a deal with "Tonight" host Conan O'Brien to leave the network, freeing Jay Leno to reclaim the late-night show he stewarded for 17 years.

A person familiar with the negotiations says top NBC Universal executives and representatives for O'Brien on Friday were close to settling details of his departure. The person, who did not have the authority to discuss the issue, spoke on condition of anonymity.

The person says Universal Studios president and COO Ron Meyer is among those involved in the talks.

The focus is on how much O'Brien, who has time left on his NBC contract, would be paid for leaving and what limits NBC may put on his future employment at another network.

From AP

Would be interesting if the release involved a non-compete clause so Conan couldn't jump ship to another network.

Only Jeff Zucker could mess things up so bad and not get fired.

And there's a good chance it could get worse.

Think about it. NBC eats probably 100 million to get rid of Conan -- 30 million for his payout, then 70 million in other costs (it cost 60 million dollars or so to move Conan from NY to LA, for example).

Then Conan goes to Fox. Stays in LA.

He is now on at eleven o'clock and has the full Fox promotional team behind him, which wipes the floor with NBC's promotional team. He gets the NFL treatment, the American Idol stars, etc... He also can compete with Leno for guests instead of deferring to him like he has since Leno has been on ten o'clock.

Meanwhile, Leno is back at 11:30, his industry rep (not that it was great before) is worse than ever, and he has to build his audience up again.

One can at least imagine a scenario where Conan -- with a half hour head start -- ends up giving Leno a run for his money ratings wise and Zucker looks dumber than ever.

Archived