Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conan O'Brien & Jay Leno Saga (MET)

88Comrade2000

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/21/news/Conan_OBrien_NBC_severance_deal/index.htm?hpt=T2

Conan Inks Severance Deal With NBC

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Conan O'Brien has signed a deal with NBC to walk away from "The Tonight Show," the network confirmed Thursday.

"NBC confirms a deal is signed and an official announcement will be made this morning," said NBC spokeswoman Allison Gollust.

The network did not provide details on the agreement, but the deal is expected to include a severance payment of about $32 million for O'Brien plus about $12 million for his staff, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The newspaper said the pact could contain a "nondisparagement clause" for both O'Brien and the network. It is also expected to bar O'Brien from appearing on other shows or hosting his own show for a period of time, sources told the Journal.

The question is how long period of time is, probably until September 2009. Which is stupid.

Bye Bye Conan...your shows on NBC provided humor to many, including me. Hopefully you will succeed on another network with your brand of comedy. Man that guy is hilarious..."I know foo' but you only been funny fo' 8"

The question is how long period of time is, probably until September 2009. Which is stupid.

Bye Bye Conan...your shows on NBC provided humor to many, including me. Hopefully you will succeed on another network with your brand of comedy. Man that guy is hilarious..."I know foo' but you only been funny fo' 8"

So Conan really does have a wayback machine? cool.

Well at least Conan's staff is getting a nice severance package

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/nbc-confirms-deal-conan-obrien-speeds-nbc-show/story?id=9621682

O'Brien had plenty to say about the prospect of his being unable to retain intellectual property rights for some of the material he created at NBC. "Isn't it great to live in a country where a cigar-smoking dog puppet and a bear that masturbates are considered 'intellectual property?'" he joked on the show Tuesday night.

If O'Brien creates a new show on another network, he purportedly won't be allowed to bring some of his best-known bits and characters, such as Triumph the Insult Comic and the Masturbating Bear, among others, with him.

The characters and sketches, according to the Hollywood Reporter, are intellectual property that belongs to NBC, and the network doesn't plan to give them up.

Hopefully Conan will be able to create new IP. In my studies of intellectual property cases I've read that anything you or a group invent for a company belongs to the company and not you, so I'm not surprised he can't bring the Bear with him. This will be a chance for him to be innovative and create new bits, and I have no question he has the capability to do so. During the writer's strike he came up with some nice ****.

LMAO

Leno and O'Brien have both taken shots at NBC and, in some cases, at each other since NBC announced its late-night shuffle. But it has been O'Brien's bitterly comic jabs at the pea**** network -- Tuesday night, O'Brien went bilingual in his attacks, saying in Spanish that "NBC is run by brainless sons of goats who eat money and crap trouble" -- that seem to have driven his ratings higher and encouraged passionate fans, including hundreds who held rallies in four U.S. cities earlier this week in support of the host many refer to by the nickname "CoCo."

You know this is really getting to Leno when he went after Letterman's wife last night.

At least he's finally showing the super nice guy stuff is all an act, something everyone behind the scenes has always known.

Hey, maybe it will make him more interesting to watch.

I love how you guys are making a maytr out of a guy getting paid $30,000,000 not to work.

The money thing aside. NBC I hope has hurt itself for a long time.

I want to see Conan land somewhere else, have a new show that lasts a long time and makes whoever a ton of money well after they discover that bringing Jay back to 11:30 doesn't do anything positive.

The winner in all of this is Letterman. The folks who liked Conan will go to Letterman if they want a talk show.

I would give just about a year's pay for Carson to comeback from the dead and hear what he has to say about this situation and what has happend to the show he built up and made a television institution.

He's on at like 1:35 or something...

Well at least Conan's staff is getting a nice severance package

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/nbc-confirms-deal-conan-obrien-speeds-nbc-show/story?id=9621682

Hopefully Conan will be able to create new IP. In my studies of intellectual property cases I've read that anything you or a group invent for a company belongs to the company and not you, so I'm not surprised he can't bring the Bear with him. This will be a chance for him to be innovative and create new bits, and I have no question he has the capability to do so. During the writer's strike he came up with some nice ****.

LMAO

Yeah. I don't know what the wording of the termination agreement is, but I think new characters like "Victory: the disparaging hilarious cat" or "Self pleasuring Sloth" will have a lot of mileage just 'cause it can be a direct F-U to NBC.

I would give just about a year's pay for Johnny Carson to comeback from the dead and hear what he has to say about this situation and what has happend to the show he built up and made a television institution.
Well, considering that he was writing jokes for Letterman to use on The Late Show, up until his death, I think you can understand at least his feelings on Leno running The Tonight Show. He'd probably just say "I told you so" about Leno in all of this.

Jeez, just watching Jay Leno and Conan these past few weeks, you can tell which one is on fire. I'm watching Jay right now and he is so unfunny. The jokes his writers gave him are not funny at all either. Conan is killing it. I don't watch Letterman that much but I think I'm going to switch over to him or Kimmel during late night if I am up until Conan gets a new show.

Archived