Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Conan O'Brien & Jay Leno Saga (MET)

88Comrade2000

Well, the latest in NBC's late night saga is that the Leno show is canceled as of Feb. 12.

They want to give Leno a 1/2 hour show at 11:35pm, shifting the Tonight Show to start at 12:05am and Jimmy Fallon's show to 1:05am. They would cancel Carson Daily's show.

Conan gets a 50 million check if he has to leave the tonight show.

What should Conan tell NBC?

I think Conan should stand firm.

Was his 12:30 should panned at 1st? I think it was. These things take time. To just make changes so quickly is dumb.

If I were Conan, I would make them let me go....keep the money.....and maybe try to pitch a show to an HBO or Showtime where he can do anything.

Conan was hired to do the Tonight Show at 11:35pm and if NBC refuses to honor that; then he should tell NBC they have violated their contract with him and tell them to give him their 50 million check and he's walking.

If NBC wants Leno, give Leno the 12:35pm slot and cancel Jimmy Fallon or better let Leno walk. Leno isn't going to be doing this much longer. Conan could be doing this for another 20 years or so.

Why should he quit and give up the chance to make 50 mill?

30 minutes doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me.

Im just pissed that Leno is off at 10.

From my understanding, he gets the 50 million if he's fired or doesn't get the Tonight Show at 11:35pm. Any changes to that, Conan would have to agree to.

As I understand it, NBC's issue is that affiliates are complaining that Leno in the 10-11 pm time slot is not drawing enough of an audience as a lead-in to their local news. That's the main impetus for the change, more so that O'Brien's weak ratings.

Why in the world would NBC cancel Carson Daly in favor of Jimmy Fallon?

I'm not a fan of either. But come on.

I can see canning both of them and giving Conan an hour. Leno gets his prime slot, Conan gets his full hour with a solid Leno lead-in, and America gets rid of those other two NBC jokers.

If memory serves, a lot of Leno viewers weren't lost to other programs in that time slot. They were lost to DVR, and I have to seriously wonder whether most of those lost eyeballs will even consider coming back for a 30 minute Leno show. They've probably discovered far better programs, now that they've been emancipated from Leno's dull, featureless McHumor.

Leno was beating Letterman every night at 1130.

I dont know there is so much vitriol. Why the hate?

Leno is the 'national brand' of comedians. No flavor, no edge, no spice. Offensive to nobody.

He is a Johnsonville Bratwurst. Once you've had a real Brat from the midwest you know the difference. Of course, lots of folks try a real Brat and whine because it's too spicy, or not bland enough. Lots of people are uncultured tasteless dolts, too. But that doesn't mean I have to lower my standards.

Leno sucks.

Why in the world would NBC cancel Carson Daly in favor of Jimmy Fallon?

I'm not a fan of either. But come on.

I have to admit- Fallon is holding his own. I've caught his show a few times and it is good stuff.

And this is from someone who was very much outspoken in his dislike for the guy when they announced he was getting his own show

Leno is the 'national brand' of comedians. No flavor, no edge, no spice. Offensive to nobody.

He is a Johnsonville Bratwurst. Once you've had a real Brat from the midwest you know the difference. Of course, lots of folks try a real Brat and whine because it's too spicy, or not bland enough. Lots of people are uncultured tasteless dolts, too. But that doesn't mean I have to lower my standards.

Leno sucks.

You also dont have to watch, or eat brats for that matter.

His show isnt groundbreaking, but it is good mindless banter in the background as Im reading or chatting with my wife.

Id say anyone looking for TV for intellectual stimulation has lowered their standards already.

He should tell NBC to **** off. NBC has really ****ed this situation up big time. If Leno's ratings are that bad, send his ass packing....don't give him yet another show that is later in the night and then move back Conan who is actually good.

If this is written in stone, then Conan could definitely take a good bit of NBC's late night audience elsewhere if he left.

Conan should say, "See ya! I'm on my way to FOX!"

Sad to see how badly Leno & NBC has screwed this up...and it's no wonder why Johnny Carson wanted Letterman to take over for him.

This.

Leno's just a giant douchebag through all of this.

He agreed to hang it up and hand the show over to Conan, back in 2006 or so. When the time finally came, he complained to NBC about it, and they gave him this God awful 10 o'clock show.

Now that his new show is tanking, he wants out so he can get The Tonight Show slot back. Bumping the real Tonight Show, which he took over from Carson and handed down to Conan, out of its traditional time slot. Just for his own ego's sake. Real surprise that Carson didn't like the guy and didn't want him to take The Tonight Show.

If NBC had any balls whatsoever, they would tell Leno to go screw himself and just throw their support 100% behind Conan and Fallon and let the chips fall where they may after giving them full promotion and time to develop.

As I understand it, NBC's issue is that affiliates are complaining that Leno in the 10-11 pm time slot is not drawing enough of an audience as a lead-in to their local news. That's the main impetus for the change, more so that O'Brien's weak ratings.
Leno's awful ratings are killing local 11 pm news affiliates, which is when local stations make most of their ad revenue for the day.

I read somewhere that for most major markets, the NBC 11 pm news ratings are down 40-50%.

That also gives Conan a pathetic lead-in audience, hurting their Tonight Show brand.

Leno was beating Letterman every night at 1130.

I dont know there is so much vitriol. Why the hate?

I can't really say I "hate" Jay Leno. I just never thought he was funny. As for why he was beating Letterman- it was a mystery to me. I do have to say though that Dave was getting grumpy and mean-spirited as the years moved on. I stopped watching him shortly after he moved to CBS.

Archived