Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quit Blaming the Offensive line!!

Redskinloyal_17

i've actually become quite tired with blaming any one aspect of our team... the fact of the matter is: our o-line stinks, our QB play is lousy, run-game is non-exsistent, Play-calling bad, Head Coaching awful, injuries are numerous....

in other words...

2010 uncapped year...

GOODBYE!!!! JC.... goodbye Clinton Portis.... see ya later O-line.

Time for 8-10 new starters.

That's a quick google search. Still have yet to find a draft expert saying franchise, NFL ready, ready to lead an NFL team. I read MOST ready, best leader of THIS draft class, best prospect of THIS class of QB's, yada, yada, yada. I read more questions about both prospects than answers. Are they going to be good? Possibly, but are they good enough for a #5 pick?

Now, what I want you to point out to me is where I EVER said we should take an OL at #5. Cue jeopardy music. BUZZ! That would be "when is NEVER Alex". I've never, ever said take an OL at #5. What I've said over and over again is, take the BPA at number 5 no matter what position it is. The only position I would hesitate taking would be WR but there are none rated in the top 10 from what I've seen so that shouldn't be an issue.

So, whomever the Coach is and the new GM should be looking at it like this.

Do we need another big DT and can we pass on a guy like Suh if he's there? Yes and no respectively.

Could we use an OT if Okung is there. Yes

Could we use a rare talent in the secondary like Berry? Duh, the guy is being compared to Ed Reed. Don't see any of the 2010 QB's being compared to Peyton Manning or Tom Brady so a safety being compared to arguably the best player in the game at that position would be hard to pass on.

Do I need to go on?

If there is a better player on the board at #5 than any of the QB prospects then you take that player. You don't take a QB that high just because JC sucks. That's a desperation move and I'm hoping the new regime isn't like the last and trades away a bunch of picks to reach for a guy who isn't even rated in the top ten. Most draft boards don't even have a QB in the top ten PROSPECTS. Of course they have some being taken in the top 10 because there are teams that need QB's but that doesn't make them worthy of a top ten pick.

All of this being said, if whomever the new coach is, thinks that his future franchise QB is Sam Bradford or Clausen then I say draft him, especially if it's Shanny. If there's an availible coach out there with the credentials to choose a QB it's Mike Shannahan. If he's our coach and doesn't take one of these guys it should tell you something.

This team has too many holes on the offensive side of the ball to afford luxuries like Ndamukong Suh or Eric Berry. Would they be great additions to the football team? Yes. Would we be able to get any better by not addressing the offense? Doubtful.

BPA is a strategy that you take when you're team is already in good shape. We're officially going into rebuilding mode if Shanahan does indeed come here and that means either building an offensive line for a future QB or drafting a QB to build around.

We made the mistake last season of adding onto the defensive side of the ball when we were already very deep in talent there.

Do you really think it's logical to use a top 5 pick on Suh when we already have the best DT in the NFL, along with a young and stout defensive line?

It's not.

Especially not with the state of our offense.

We hear about these kinds of "must have" players every year. Amobi Okoye was the "must have" DT in 2007, Calvin Johnson was the "must have" WR then, Kenny Phillips was even described as a mix of Sean Taylor and Ed Reed in 2008, etc.

And guess what? These guys have to build on their skills when they get into the NFL because they're playing the best of the best now.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Berry and Suh aren't going to be studs in the NFL. They very well could be and should be, but unfortunately for us we've got our Pro-Bowl LT most likely headed for retirement, a center that gets pushed around every week and no prospects at the other guard and tackle spots unless you count Levi Jones. We also have a 5-year player at QB that is mediocre at best, a geriatric 2nd stringer, and a Colt Brennan that has just as many questions as a top rookie.

Add to the fact that Clinton Portis's best days are behind him and Ladell Betts is coming off of a season-ending ACL/MCL tear, and you've got yourself an entire offense that desperately needs to be addressed minus TEs and WRs.

So in short, I agree with your ridiculously obvious point that the new coach/GM need to establish what the most glaring need is and address it, but I disagree with the BPA argument for an offense with so many holes.

Really:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010jclausen.php

Summary: Jimmy Clausen is a franchise quarterback.
And that's just from the first web site you posted:

The 2nd site you posted has Clausen going #1 and us taking Bradford at #6.

The 3rd has Clausen at #1 and has Jake Locker who isn't even declaring in the top 5, and Taylor Mays listed as #6 overall

:laugh:

What are you trying to prove? That there are a billion different mock drafts out there already, some decent and some ****ty?

The last one is credible though, I will give you that, but that's only because it's copied directly off of Mel Kiper's Big Board on the ESPN Insider.

i've actually become quite tired with blaming any one aspect of our team... the fact of the matter is: our o-line stinks, our QB play is lousy, run-game is non-exsistent, Play-calling bad, Head Coaching awful, injuries are numerous....

in other words...

2010 uncapped year...

GOODBYE!!!! JC.... goodbye Clinton Portis.... see ya later O-line.

Time for 8-10 new starters.

Exactly. You can't blame any one part of the offense. The whole thing is to blame. This entire squad needs to go except for a few of the young gus. I think that any potential that JC had is gone now. Are they seriously going to make JC learn a new system? Can JC last another year behind a terrible offensive line? I'd retire before coming back to this if I were him. I assure you that no QB could thrive in this situation. Therefore, I don't blame Campbell.

I also don't blame the Offensive line because the many of guys on the OL probably should be on a practice squad or playing in a different league. You also can't expect an OL to thrive when the pieces are constantly being flipped around because there is no real solid depth.

The whole thing is screwed. Its time to start from scratch. This will be a very intriguing offseason.

Everyone who blames the offensive line for our failure is wrong. Anyone who watches professional football knows that good quarterbacks come up to the line, then they read the defense, they then direct the linemen and backs, and then they call the right play that gives them the best chance of success.

What Jason Campbell does is get out of the huddle with 6 seconds left on the play clock does not look at the secondary. He then waits until the defense is ready to give there best effort to blitz and then he takes the snap.

Campbell is a college football quarterback. Not a professional quarterback.

If you dont believe me look at Peyton, Rivers, Brees, Eli, and Romo sits to pee. They see everything before it happens. They also get rid of the ball in 2.6 seconds. Campbell has that on everythrow almost.

Collinsworth showed everyone last night the simple mistakes Campbell makes. He cant read professional defenses, heck i bet he cant read a Dr. Seuss book without pop ups.

Then explain the 3.9 ypc our rbs averaged this season genius.

Your right to talk about football should be taken away for making this thread. Are you seriously defending the oline?

chris_berman_really_annoying_1.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGqjXt5ro-wbz0K6mAtR06aRWY9tg

C'Mon Man!!!

I like when someone pulls the dumbest remark out of their backside and follows it up with "anyone that watches pro ball knows"... No sir, YOU don't know. If I may steal an insinuation from you.. ANYONE that KNOWS football, KNOWS that it all starts on the lines. You don't have strong lines, you don't have a strong team period.

Your O-Line is definitely bad, but Campbell makes them look even worse. Last week when Scandrick annihilated Campbell, the Cowboys didn't even disguise the blitz well, and everybody watching except Campbell knew that Scandrick was coming, but he never saw it or made the hot read.

There were a couple other plays where the tackles got the rushers to the outside and instead of sitting in the pocket Campbell kept dropping back further, when had he just stepped up he would've had a clean pocket.

Bad O-Line, bad QB. It's not one or the other.

This team has too many holes on the offensive side of the ball to afford luxuries like Ndamukong Suh or Eric Berry. Would they be great additions to the football team? Yes. Would we be able to get any better by not addressing the offense? Doubtful.

BPA is a strategy that you take when you're team is already in good shape. We're officially going into rebuilding mode if Shanahan does indeed come here and that means either building an offensive line for a future QB or drafting a QB to build around.

We made the mistake last season of adding onto the defensive side of the ball when we were already very deep in talent there.

Do you really think it's logical to use a top 5 pick on Suh when we already have the best DT in the NFL, along with a young and stout defensive line?

It's not.

Especially not with the state of our offense.

We hear about these kinds of "must have" players every year. Amobi Okoye was the "must have" DT in 2007, Calvin Johnson was the "must have" WR then, Kenny Phillips was even described as a mix of Sean Taylor and Ed Reed in 2008, etc.

And guess what? These guys have to build on their skills when they get into the NFL because they're playing the best of the best now.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Berry and Suh aren't going to be studs in the NFL. They very well could be and should be, but unfortunately for us we've got our Pro-Bowl LT most likely headed for retirement, a center that gets pushed around every week and no prospects at the other guard and tackle spots unless you count Levi Jones. We also have a 5-year player at QB that is mediocre at best, a geriatric 2nd stringer, and a Colt Brennan that has just as many questions as a top rookie.

Add to the fact that Clinton Portis's best days are behind him and Ladell Betts is coming off of a season-ending ACL/MCL tear, and you've got yourself an entire offense that desperately needs to be addressed minus TEs and WRs.

So in short, I agree with your ridiculously obvious point that the new coach/GM need to establish what the most glaring need is and address it, but I disagree with the BPA argument for an offense with so many holes.

Why is my point so ridiclous? Everyone in this thread, including yourself, thinks that we MUST take a QB at #5. If Shanahan or whoever the next coach is doesn't love any of the QB's in this years draft then why take one? To make you and BLC happy? My whole point is if your in the #5 slot and there isn't a franchise QB there at that pick you take BPA. If you don't want to take a Suh or Berry then you trade the pick. You don't take a QB just because. That's been my entire point. Clausen may be the second coming of Jesus Christ but I haven't watched enough ND football to make that determination.

We do have a hell of a lot of holes on offense but we need someone to come in and start right away in those holes. We don't have the luxury of having a young QB come in here and ride the pine for a couple years or get killed behind our horrid line. QB is not a position we should be targeting in this draft, especially at the #5 pick.

Really:

And that's just from the first web site you posted:

The 2nd site you posted has Clausen going #1 and us taking Bradford at #6.

The 3rd has Clausen at #1 and has Jake Locker who isn't even declaring in the top 5, and Taylor Mays listed as #6 overall

:laugh:

What are you trying to prove? That there are a billion different mock drafts out there already, some decent and some ****ty?

The last one is credible though, I will give you that, but that's only because it's copied directly off of Mel Kiper's Big Board on the ESPN Insider.

Do a google search and look at the Top Ten prospects, not the top ten picks. Here's one http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2010/top-nfl-prospects-for-2010.cfm Look at that, Clausen just moved into the top ten propects.

I'm not trying to argue that we don't need a franchise QB, we do and in a big way. I just don't feel like any of the QB's in this years draft are going to be that guy. So, what do you do with the #5, stay put and draft BPA or trade back, still get a stud OT and a couple picks? I say the latter but again it depends on if the new guy likes either of the top two QB's when we pick.

As for needing another DT with Haynesworth on our team, since we run a 4-3 with two DT's on the field I'd have to say yes, yes we do. With offenses double teaming Big AL someone like Suh could have a field day. You don't think we need help at safety? Seriously? L toast L has shown how bad we need help at safety. A case could be made for damn near every position on our team except for maybe WR and TE.

I just don't want us to reach for a QB at number 5 and get burned with another Heath Schuler. IMO this draft class is full of potential busts at the QB position.

Why is my point so ridiclous? Everyone in this thread, including yourself, thinks that we MUST take a QB at #5. If Shanahan or whoever the next coach is doesn't love any of the QB's in this years draft then why take one? To make you and BLC happy? My whole point is if your in the #5 slot and there isn't a franchise QB there at that pick you take BPA. If you don't want to take a Suh or Berry then you trade the pick. You don't take a QB just because. That's been my entire point. Clausen may be the second coming of Jesus Christ but I haven't watched enough ND football to make that determination.

First of all, I said your point:

I think the correct answer is allowing a GM with actual FOOTBALL knowledge make a decision on what the teams most glaring need is.

was ridiculously obvious. The sky's blue the grass is green, the GM/coach need to make the decision about what's best for this team.

We do have a hell of a lot of holes on offense but we need someone to come in and start right away in those holes. We don't have the luxury of having a young QB come in here and ride the pine for a couple years or get killed behind our horrid line. QB is not a position we should be targeting in this draft, especially at the #5 pick.

I've said it a million times but drafting a QB with our first-round pick does not automatically mean that we are neglecting our offensive line. Drafting a QB early and rebuilding the offensive line are not mutually exclusive. It's very possible to pick up quality offensive linemen via free agency and in rounds other than the 1st in the draft and take a QB to build around in the 1st.

BTW, there are some OL studs in free agency this year that should be acquirable regardless of cap or no cap.

Do a google search and look at the Top Ten prospects, not the top ten picks. Here's one http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2010/top-nfl-prospects-for-2010.cfm Look at that, Clausen just moved into the top ten propects.

So what? You found another one of the billion draft pages out there, written by some guy like you or me sitting on his computer at home. And look he has Locker in there too, even though he's not declaring this year. This is the point I tried to make to you earlier, these things are plentiful and any idiot with a computer and the internet can make mocks and draft prospect pages.

We'll really know who's who when the Super Bowl is over and the combine gets here, until now everyone's just got an opinion regardless of how informed it is.

I'm not trying to argue that we don't need a franchise QB, we do and in a big way. I just don't feel like any of the QB's in this years draft are going to be that guy. So, what do you do with the #5, stay put and draft BPA or trade back, still get a stud OT and a couple picks? I say the latter but again it depends on if the new guy likes either of the top two QB's when we pick.

This goes back to your point about the GM. It's not our decision but we can talk about it all we want.

As for needing another DT with Haynesworth on our team, since we run a 4-3 with two DT's on the field I'd have to say yes, yes we do. With offenses double teaming Big AL someone like Suh could have a field day.

We don't need a DT. We'd like a DT like Suh, but it's not a need. We have Griffin, Golston, and Alexander who are all more than serviceable, especially considering our offensive needs.

You don't think we need help at safety? Seriously? L toast L has shown how bad we need help at safety. A case could be made for damn near every position on our team except for maybe WR and TE.

I never said we don't need a safety, but in comparison with the offense, I can honestly say: we don't need a safety.

From 2004-2007 we drafted a DB three times with top ten picks, what has that really done for us? Nothing. If Eric Berry can't play offensive line or quarterback then I'll be pissed if we draft yet another DB with a top ten pick.

Our defense is full of talent but with the way Blache runs his schemes these guys are being put to waste. Why in the hell would you not let Albert Haynesworth rush at the passer or call hot reads like he did in Tennessee?

If we get an aggressive coordinator in there, we'll forget about any of our secondary's problems real quick.

I just don't want us to reach for a QB at number 5 and get burned with another Heath Schuler. IMO this draft class is full of potential busts at the QB position.

No one wants to draft a bust of any position with a top-five pick, but this goes back to my point earlier about OL not being bust-proof. Most people assume a tackle is a safe pick but tackles end up busting as well, so do DTs and safeties, and LBs, etc. etc.

No one wants to draft a bust of any position with a top-five pick, but this goes back to my point earlier about OL not being bust-proof. Most people assume a tackle is a safe pick but tackles end up busting as well, so do DTs and safeties, and LBs, etc. etc.

My point has been and will continue to be "don't take a QB for the sake of taking one". Hypothetically Claussen goes number one, do we have to settle for Sam Bradford? Because that's what we'd be doing is settling. We have a number 5 pick, a pick that should almost guarantee us the top talent at a position, but maybe not the QB position. It's just tiresome reading post after post stating that we MUST take a QB in this draft. I contend that we don't have to take one, especially if the best one is gone.

My point that you keep quoting is obvious and should be, too bad people keep missing it. For arugement sake lets go ahead and say Shanahan is the coach; he has more football knowledge then probably everyone on this board combined. If he choses a player that's not a QB it will tell people on this board something about this years QB prospects, too bad people will still be ****ing that we screwed up by not drafting a QB to build around. I am really not impressed with this years QB class and don't think any of them can come in and start. There is less hype about this class then any I can remember in recent memory. So why take one? Again, to make you and the other JC haters happy?

Am I that bad at making my point? Seriously? We both think we need a new QB, I don't think the guy is in the draft, you do. What's there to argue about besides that? Bradford and Colt have bust written all over them, Clausen will be a Ram. Now what? You either take BPA with #5 or trade back. That's what.

My point has been and will continue to be "don't take a QB for the sake of taking one". Hypothetically Claussen goes number one, do we have to settle for Sam Bradford? Because that's what we'd be doing is settling. We have a number 5 pick, a pick that should almost guarantee us the top talent at a position, but maybe not the QB position. It's just tiresome reading post after post stating that we MUST take a QB in this draft. I contend that we don't have to take one, especially if the best one is gone.
My point that you keep quoting is obvious and should be, too bad people keep missing it. For arugement sake lets go ahead and say Shanahan is the coach; he has more football knowledge then probably everyone on this board combined. If he choses a player that's not a QB it will tell people on this board something about this years QB prospects, too bad people will still be ****ing that we screwed up by not drafting a QB to build around. I am really not impressed with this years QB class and don't think any of them can come in and start. There is less hype about this class then any I can remember in recent memory. So why take one? Again, to make you and the other JC haters happy?

Am I that bad at making my point? Seriously? We both think we need a new QB, I don't think the guy is in the draft, you do. What's there to argue about besides that? Bradford and Colt have bust written all over them, Clausen will be a Ram. Now what? You either take BPA with #5 or trade back. That's what.

I understand your point(s) just fine. That's why I addressed them all earlier.

So what this all comes down to is that the draft is a crapshoot and none of us here are experts, therefore the info that we are putting out is nothing more than amateur opinion. You think Jimmy Clausen is the best QB because of all of the draft articles you keep reading. I like Sam Bradford better because I've seen more of him, regardless of what the mock drafts or draft prospect web sites say. My g/f is a Texas fan and by best friend is a Sooners fan so I've seen my share of both Bradford and McCoy.

What's bothering me is that you keep finding ways to say that the coach and/or GM have more knowledge than us and obviously are more qualified to make the decision and are bound to prove someone who wanted a certain position wrong, but then you revert back to saying that you think you know which QBs are worth the pick and which will be busts/which won't and how we should do BPA.

So are you getting upset that we're giving our draft opinions on a Redskins message board? You're all over the place.

Also, I've never said that we must take a QB. I've said that I want us to take a QB and that we need a QB. I've also said repeatedly that we need to draft offensive line and that we need to spend some money in free agency on the offensive line.

And stop with the "JC Haters" garbage, it's lame and inaccurate.

Your O-Line is definitely bad, but Campbell makes them look even worse. Last week when Scandrick annihilated Campbell, the Cowboys didn't even disguise the blitz well, and everybody watching except Campbell knew that Scandrick was coming, but he never saw it or made the hot read.

There were a couple other plays where the tackles got the rushers to the outside and instead of sitting in the pocket Campbell kept dropping back further, when had he just stepped up he would've had a clean pocket.

Bad O-Line, bad QB. It's not one or the other.

yah, youknow ur bad when everybody saw the blitz and he didnt especially whenhe was staring right at hime right before the snap of theball. that replay showed exactly what candle was seeing. and u know ur bad when collinsworth calls this loser out talking baout he created his own sack. LOL no pocket presense, doesnt know when to step up, actually running in to pressure.

then u have his inaccruacy. this guy's accuracy sucks so bad. slow release, cant hit targets in stride. always connecting with receivers when they are standing still. never throws to receivers back. never throws to receivers before thye make their cuts...

man, this guy sucks so bad.

I understand your point(s) just fine. That's why I addressed them all earlier.

So what this all comes down to is that the draft is a crapshoot and none of us here are experts, therefore the info that we are putting out is nothing more than amateur opinion. You think Jimmy Clausen is the best QB because of all of the draft articles you keep reading. I like Sam Bradford better because I've seen more of him, regardless of what the mock drafts or draft prospect web sites say. My g/f is a Texas fan and by best friend is a Sooners fan so I've seen my share of both Bradford and McCoy.

What's bothering me is that you keep finding ways to say that the coach and/or GM have more knowledge than us and obviously are more qualified to make the decision and are bound to prove someone who wanted a certain position wrong, but then you revert back to saying that you think you know which QBs are worth the pick and which will be busts/which won't and how we should do BPA.

So are you getting upset that we're giving our draft opinions on a Redskins message board? You're all over the place.

Also, I've never said that we must take a QB. I've said that I want us to take a QB and that we need a QB. I've also said repeatedly that we need to draft offensive line and that we need to spend some money in free agency on the offensive line.

And stop with the "JC Haters" garbage, it's lame and inaccurate.

I'm not upset about anything accept for the opinion that JC sucks so our only chance of ever being a good team is taking a QB in this years draft even though none of them are considered can't misses. I completely understand there's no such thing as a can't miss but with a position like QB I'd much rather see better performances against better competition sustained through several years of play than what we've seen with Bradford and Claussen. Opinions, which we both know are like ass holes.

How am I all over the place? I've said at least two or three times that if the new HC, especially if it's Shanahan, likes one of the QB's on the board come our pick and takes him then I'm all for it. What's confusing or all over the place about that? Because I said if he doesn't it should tell you something? Hardly speaking in riddles.

JC hater garbage, inaccurate. How is that? Almost every person in the Stadium who is hell bent on taking a QB in this years draft has a post record bashing JC in every possible way and in every single thread they post in. Maybe I was wrong in lumping you into that category and if so I'm sorry. However, you would be the minority. Although I'm sure I've read some of your posts where you've said JC isn't smart enough to be a starting NFL QB. Really, he's stupid? Sounds like JC hate to me.

BTW, I'm glad we agree on MMA for the most part:D

1) The offensive line clearly sucks, and sucks a big one at that.

2) Campbell is inspiring to watch, not because of his play but because of his effort

3) He is (in my mind) at least half to blame for the production of the offense, because he really never, ever does make any changes at the line. This is due to poor hussle and not being able to get up to the line in time, the coaches having no confidence in his abilities to audible, and lastly because he always picks the worst possible moment to snap the ball (e.g. exactly when a linebacker is sprinting up to the line of scrimmage).

Just my thoughts.

No way you can legitimally dismiss the negative effect that our O-line has had on the QB position...

Does this include 2007 when Collins took a gimpy O-line to the playoffs on a winning streak RIGHT after replacing Campbell in a sure loss?

Or 2008, even against the Bengals when Campbell had all day and basically got outperformed by Ryan Fitzpatrick (as he tends to be outplayed by these types of guys and pure rookies.)

At what point does Campbell bear responsibility? And when did you guys succeed in re-writing history so that this is either a) CAmpbell's first year starting or B) The offensive line always sucked?

Completely, 100% disagree.

In fact that sounds backwards.

An established team can fill holes because they know precisely what pieces they need. A poor team lacks talent at multiple positions.

It's not.

Griffin is not getting any younger, and Golston is not an adequate replacement.
Adrian Peterson was a must have player.

We passed on him because we had Clinton Portis and Betts coming off a 1000 yard season.

Now look at our RB situation.

Its really hard to establish need with so many holes. We have need all over the place.

We can't afford to draft a Tackle if there is a better player available.

Derrick Dockery is the only Redskins lineman that could start for another team in the division. Levi Jones would make another team as a backup.

That's about it.

Mike Williams? Will Montgomery? Casey Rabach? Stephon Heyer?

I think these players would have trouble making another active roster.

Derrick Dockery is the only Redskins lineman that could start for another team in the division. Levi Jones would make another team as a backup.

That's about it.

Pretty much, I think people give Rabach a pass because his suckiness has not reached the Heyer level, but he is one of the worst Centers in the league. I look at Dallass and they have Flozell and Gurode, Philly revamped their line in one season, New England has guys like Mankins, these are good to great O-Linemen.

That's about it.

You are correct that is one list of underachievers!!!

Rabach.. stinks

Montgomery.. is a has been that never should have been here

Heyer... could not stop my granny from getting to the Q.b.

Willams ...My granny run bye him just after she went by Heyer.

Archived