Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quit Blaming the Offensive line!!

Redskinloyal_17

I'd just went back and looked at the BYU and Texas game writeups and Bradford was knocked out of both games in the first quarter. His only complete game this year was a weak Baylor team (389 yards and a touchdown) so yeah I'd throw out this year for evaluating him other than injury concerns, but I believe he is getting checked out by a doctor who the Skins have a close relationship with so we may get some inside info there.

A good offensive line is needed to have an offense fire on all cylinders, but even the best O-line can't make average QB's like Jason among the elite. It's not a coincidence that Todd Collins comes in the same offense under the same pressure and throws a bomb to Moss the last 2 times he got his chance to play, and even had a TD dropped by Davis in the NY game.

I don't care who starts for this team next season, as long as it's not Jason Campbell. It's definitely time to move on to a new era with another QB, after all how hard is it to win more then 4 games, many back ups in this league have already done that, but our starting QB can't even do it :doh:

look @ Romo sits to pee yesterday... he was hurried a lot, what did he do? he stepped up in the pocket, he moved his shoulder, he got the ball out fast.. all to avoid getting sacked...

Campbell gets eaten up all the time

Romo sits to pee could have drank a cup of coffee and read the moprning paper and still had time to throw on most plays

BlackBush,

I'd disagree on the SEC QB thing. The best QBs repeatedly come from Big10, Pac10 even MAC and other mid-majors and even really small schools (ex. Romo sits to pee and Kurt Warner.) The SEC, aside from the Manning brothers and the bottom-dwelling school Vandy with Cutler (and that remains to be seen, I guess) for some bizarre reason just doesn't produce decent NFL QBs. That may change but it's been decades now and it's still held as a pattern.

i'm telling you, if campbell was the exact same QB but white, these comments never get made.

Get that garbage out of here. Turning this into a racial argument is weak and a ****ty attempt at trying to avoid the debate.

BTW, I assume you weren't around ES for Ramsey and Brunell.

How do you have any idea how smart he is? He got good grades in school, had an above average score on the Wonderlic and you can listen to him speak and hear his intelligence. The criticisms about him being too dumb to be a QB are themselves too dumb to hold any water in a real discussion about his ability.

We're not talking book smarts we're talking football smarts at the most cerebral position in the game. He makes bad decisions, has trouble learning systems (although he's been through a lot), can't/doesn't read defenses, and never makes adjustments.

It's safe to say that he doesn't have football smarts.

I usually dont put much stock in pedigree/conference SOS but I'd also rather have a QB that dominated from under center in the SEC, but Rothlesburger and Flacco are some exceptions of guys that come from nowhere so you have to go with what you think the player is able to do.

Come from nowhere but have ideal size and big arms. Flacco is 6'6" at 230lbs, Ben is 6'5" at 241, both big guys with big arms. To me Bradford just doesn't seem ready for the NFL. He's got the size at 6'4" 223 but he just doesn't seem like he has an NFL "build" yet. I think he would get abused right now in the NFL. Sure size is everything, Drew Brees proves that but he also isn't the norm.

What Ben also brought to the table was maturity, he wasn't a kid coming out of college early. Hell, I don't know what that answer is at QB but I just don't have a warm fuzzy when it comes to Bradford, Claussen or McCoy. All seem too young and immature. As much as I don't want Tebow I think he brings more maturity and leadership to the table than all of them, I just don't think he's a great QB. I say give Colt a shot, can't be worse than what we have right now.

BlackBush,

I'd disagree on the SEC QB thing. The best QBs repeatedly come from Big10, Pac10 even MAC and other mid-majors and even really small schools (ex. Romo sits to pee and Kurt Warner.) The SEC, aside from the Manning brothers and the bottom-dwelling school Vandy with Cutler (and that remains to be seen, I guess) for some bizarre reason just doesn't produce decent NFL QBs. That may change but it's been decades now and it's still held as a pattern.

Yeah it is really odd to me that the best conference has so few of the best QBs, but my point was objectively thinking my first thought would be lets get that QB that killed everybody in the best college conference, but like I say in the end of my post we have to be more intently focused on what makes a QB successful, what abilities a prospect has, and how that translates to what we would ask them to do here. Make that assessment and if it is this draft or next we will need a QB who is "that guy" as Gruden would say.

He does make them look worst, he caused at least two sacks by not stepping up into the pocket last night.. and is it too much to ask for a professional QB to buy a little time for themselves, Romo sits to pee did it on more than one occasion, and they were in circumstances where Campbell would probably have already started bracing himself for the sack, in hopes he wouldn't fumble the ball once again.

Come from nowhere but have ideal size and big arms. Flacco is 6'6" at 230lbs, Ben is 6'5" at 241, both big guys with big arms. To me Bradford just doesn't seem ready for the NFL. He's got the size at 6'4" 223 but he just doesn't seem like he has an NFL "build" yet. I think he would get abused right now in the NFL. Sure size is everything, Drew Brees proves that but he also isn't the norm.

True on all points but they were saying Adrian Peterson was smallish and injury prone too (he probably would have been 1 if not for missing time for injury). That is sort of the boom or bust but I definitely think wherever Bradford goes he should sit, soak up the pro offense, and work on strength and conditioning for the year.

What Ben also brought to the table was maturity, he wasn't a kid coming out of college early. Hell, I don't know what that answer is at QB but I just don't have a warm fuzzy when it comes to Bradford, Claussen or McCoy. All seem too young and immature. As much as I don't want Tebow I think he brings more maturity and leadership to the table than all of them, I just don't think he's a great QB. I say give Colt a shot, can't be worse than what we have right now.

Definitely a good point that Senior QBs are usually more mature than JRs but it is just tougher to get a player to return for a senior season when you could get a high 1st round grade. I think McCoy has shown a lot of leadership during his time at Texas and he is a guy that the team rallies around.

Everyone who blames the offensive line for our failure is wrong. Anyone who watches professional football knows that good quarterbacks come up to the line, then they read the defense, they then direct the linemen and backs, and then they call the right play that gives them the best chance of success.

hmm i love how tha people who watch football on t.v. know tha game best. how about anyone whos ever played football at a level higher then peewee or highschool would know your wrong. Its a team sport for a reason. While the offense has struggled in alll 11 positions, the offensive line is a major problem too. i mean i dont even get this thread. why not blame the o line? cause they're not that bad? cause if u think that then your lost. or is it because they only look bad because campbell sucks? because thats stupid too. how abut you watch tha game. people are gettin blown up, letting guys get the edge on them, or missin assignments. how is that not tha o lines fault?

So offensive linemen have no bearing on a football game? Its a wonder that teams draft them at all...

At least thats basically what you said, that all of the fault lies on the QB.

for the millionth time, drafting a QB with our 1st round pick doesnt mean we automatically just ignore the line. where some of you are getting this idea that if we dont take russell okung, somehow our line next year will be the same are either just being stubborn about campbell or are seriously not understanding how an offseason works.

campbell/bradford/claussen/brennan/collins/garcia: regardless of which one of these guys is taking snaps come september, this line will be 85% different. we dont need russell okung to field a solid NFL offensive line.

I agree with BLC, we NEEEEEED o-line help desperately, but we don't have to draft it with our fist overall pick.

I would hope we can find some diamonds in the rough, draft some in the later rounds, maybe sign a solid FA here and there.

Regardless, QB and O-line need to be WAY different next year.

:rolleyes:

a new version of "stop the excuses"

10 different OL combination, 7 RG alone

our starting RB is a practice squad reject from the Titans

We lost Portis, Betts, Samuels, Randy Thomas, Cooley, and an improving Devan Thomas missed last night.

A lame duck coach.....

but it's all Campbell's fault :thumbsup:

I'm with u 100% Bubba. I'm not a Campbell supporter or am i Anti Campbell. But some of these comments are silly as hell. Campbell has flaws and IMO is not a starting NFL QB but good god.. this O line doesnt help at all

just goin back to sunday night, montgomery was gettin abused. and if we go back to last monday, osi was abusin levi jones. there is no call that a qb can make that will get his lineman to win a one on one battle. he can help them pick up a blitz, but can't help them win a one on one battle.

i'm telling you, if campbell was the exact same QB but white, these comments never get made.

I don't know if this was just a pig-ignorant drive-by and if you're even going to return to read responses. If you do, you'll see the feedback from other members letting you know, each in their own way, the insipidly stupid nature of your post.

If you wish to continue posting here you should avoid that particular form of braindead offering in the future.

we also didnt send 5-7 guys at Romo sits to pee on every snap like they did to us. why you ask? cause hes not a moron and knows how to pick up a blitz.
Campbell knew where to go with the ball pretty much every single time he dropped back to pass, and did a good job reading the D and getting rid of the ball. The problem was his accuracy, or lack thereof: seeing the open man doesn't do much good if you can't deliver the ball to him.

Archived