Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

The playoffs would feature either the same schools every year, or a lot of the smaller schools would be getting crushed. It think they wouldn't quite be what people think they would. The disparity would just become a reality. I'm not against playoffs, I just think they wouldn't be some sort of magical equalizer.

Yes, 9/10 times the power school WOULD win, but that's why March Madness is so great and why football needs playoffs: all you need is that ONE time.

So your point is "I support a (big) playoff system because there's a slim chance that a team that isn't the best team will get lucky?"

Damn, seems like TTU didn't lose much from Leach leaving.

Well, I think that's superficial. He coached the team all season, the offensive coordinator and the players know the plays. I think they could manage the two weeks since Leach left.

How TT does in the next 12 months will be a big question. Recruits can decommit. Texas Tech now has the reputation (deserved or not) that they don't have the willingness to pay top dollar for the right coach—so how can they attract another top name?

TCU and BSU today.

Man, the NFL just provides such a convincing argument for an FBS playoff doesn't it? Feel the excitement of that regular season finish! Blowouts galore, awful backups getting tons of snaps, the ostensibly "best" teams both losing back-to-back games practically on purpose, and three season finales that are getting played again -next week- all of which ended in lopsided shutouts.

Wouldn't that Florida-Alabama game have been so much better if John Brantley was taking all the snaps for the Gators and Trent Richardson had gotten all the carries for the Crimson tide, since Tebow and Ingram were resting for the "real" game between the two teams the following weekend?

Ix, I don't agree with that quote. While most of the bowl games have been pretty decent, did anyone really care about the Bowling Green/Idaho game? What about the Southern Miss/Middle Tennessee State game?

There's a ton of meaningless bowls. There's 34 bowl games and only one of them matters, the BCS National Championship Game. Will anyone remember who won the Holiday Bowl? If there was a playoff, more of the games would matter and you wouldn't have a month in between games for Texas and Alabama.

The biggest problem with a playoff is a devaluation of the regular season. In many ways the regular season of college football is the playoff, albeit a very odd one. When you put in a playoff you threaten to make regular season hypefests meaningless. How much does 1 v 2 Ohio State V Michigan mean if that game didn't decide who would go to the national championship? That's what made that game so special.

The biggest problem with a playoff is a devaluation of the regular season. In many ways the regular season of college football is the playoff, albeit a very odd one. When you put in a playoff you threaten to make regular season hypefests meaningless. How much does 1 v 2 Ohio State V Michigan mean if that game didn't decide who would go to the national championship? That's what made that game so special.

I see what you mean, but what if the NFL was like the BCS. The Super Bowl would be the Saints vs. Colts. The Chargers, Vikings, Patriots, Cowboys, Bengals, and Cardinals would get nothing for winning their divisions. And the Chargers are the hottest team having won 11 in a row. But since they started out slow, they wouldn't get in.

The College regular season could still have meaning. Ok maybe Florida/Alabama wouldn't have meant as much this year. But those late season games would matter for those teams battling to get the last playoff spot.

Actually, with a playoff, there would be many more Ohio State vs. Michigan games that would be meaningful. 2006 was the only season they ever met as 1 vs. 2, but they have met many times as 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 5, 4 vs. 10, 7 vs. 15, etc. If there was an 8-team playoff (or bigger), all of those games could have knocked one of the teams out.

Besides, you don't get a regular season game every season where the winner is guaranteed the national championship game. If there was a playoff, you would be guaranteed two of those games every year in the semifinals.

I don't think so. A meaningless regular season happens in the NBA and baseball and hockey, because there are so many games. 12 or 13 games are not that many in comparison. One loss still puts you in a precarious position.

Archived