Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

If you want to argue that a playoff system would devalue the regular season then fine, I can maybe buy that. But the value of playoffs would make up for that in a second.

Seriously, how many people take time out of their day to watch the Papa John's Bowl? I mean, it may be a great game and maybe we'll be excited to see the highlights on Sportscenter, but I have to believe that a college playoff >>>>>>>>>>>> than the bowls in terms of viewership and legitimacy, and that would no doubt make up for any value lost from the regular season.

go Boise :cool:
:high5:

I'll start a fund with $100 to pay for the BSU/TCU winner to face the winner of 'Bama/Texas.

As for the regular season: From a Yahoo piece last month about how a playoff system would work (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-ncaafplayoff120709)

Yes, all 11, even the lousy conferences. While no one would argue that the Sun Belt champ is one of the top 16 teams in the country, its presence is paramount to maintaining the integrity and relevancy of the regular season. While the idea that the season is a four-month playoff is both inaccurate and absurd – best proven this year – college football’s roller-coaster regular season needs to be protected.

That’s accomplished by two things. The first is playing on the home field of the higher-seeded team until the title game (more on this later).

The second is by giving the chance for an easier first-round opponent – in this case No. 1 seed Alabama would play No. 16 Troy. Earning a top two or three seed most years would present a school a de facto bye into the second round. Why not leave the Sun Belt out and offer a real bye? The extra home game would create tens of millions of dollars in revenue (a carrot to the school presidents).

The season still matters this way. By winning the SEC championship game Saturday, Alabama gets Troy and enjoys home-field advantage in Tuscaloosa until the title game. By losing it, Florida gets Penn State and has to hit the road if it can beat the Nittany Lions.

Archived