Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

Where is Snead projected

The game ends, Alabama wins 28-7, and, even though he didn't play, Tim Tebow is named MVP, Player of the Decade, Sideline Reporter's Crush of the Century, The Only Player To Ever Play The Game.

Tebow promptly announces his intentions to attempt to compete at the next level.

And the NFL weeps.

Famed Around the Horn panelist Bill Plaschke is hilarious

I like the idea of have a 16 team playoff. Have all 11 conference winners get a bid. Then take 5 at-large teams. This way you get the mid-majors involved and it would still make the regular season matter too.
This. And have the 1st three rounds at the home of the better-seeded team.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-ncaafplayoff120709&prov

EDIT: That Plaschke column :rotflmao:

"Tike Smarrett"? :whoknows:

Feinstein had a great suggestion today on the Tony Kornheiser show. Take the Big 6 conference champs plus one of the mid major conferences pluss one at large. That gives you an 8 team playoff. Regular season would stay relevant because you have to win your conference. Plus there's little room for whining. It's as close to a pure meritocracy as we'll get in college FB. This system, poll rankings don't play a partā€”pretty much everything but the at-large bid is decided on the field.

As I said before Tony kept bringing up time, because Feinstein said his playoff system would go into February. He said the college football championship game would be played the week between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl. And Tony Kornheiser replied that Junior was crazy for suggesting the championship game be pushed back that far into February.

An 8 team system is fine, all played in January. Another point made by Junior today was the elimination of a 12th game, go back to 11 games every season. One less cupcake to uselessly beat up.

I think that a playoff system will be phased. They will add the and-one. Then they will add the 8 team playoff. I think that is it though. 16 teams seems too much. Just need 6 conference champions and 2 wild cards.

someone is getting their feelings hurt in this scenario.

Here's the problem. No matter what, somebody will have their feelings hurt because they were left out. That will ALWAYS be the case. If you had a 24 team tournament, #25 will be complaining that they didn't get in.

Here's the problem. No matter what, somebody will have their feelings hurt because they were left out. That will ALWAYS be the case. If you had a 24 team tournament, #25 will be complaining that they didn't get in.

Yeah, in every playoff no matter whether it's 8, 16 team, or 64 team in basketball, someone is always left out. Better off to just leave it as an 8 team field IMO

ESPN remembers the previous decade in college football

Same stuff was said about USC. Nobody gave Texas a shot. I think that Nebraska game has everyone gassed. There's no Suh on Bama. Don't forget that.

they got a 365lb mountain in Cody though (although he's nowhere near the destructive force Suh is)

if Texas can give McCoy time to throw, they will win

i'm picking Texas in this game

As an MSU alum, I hate Saban. Go Longhorns!

Saban may win, but he's a big part of the problem

by Mark Kriegel

If all goes as expected tonight, Alabamaā€™s Nick Saban will become the first BCS coach to win championships for different institutions.

Since the advent of the Associated Press poll in 1936, no coach has done anything like that. Whatā€™s more, Saban will have done it within a single decade. In just six years, to be exact. With a couple NFL seasons in between. Itā€™s historic. But it leaves me cold.

Iā€™ve just spent more hours than I care to remember scouring Sabanā€™s recent interview transcripts, trying to figure out if thereā€™s something -- a shred of laughter, empathy, emotion, anything -- I might have missed the during these media sessions in Newport Beach the last couple of days. Seems I have not. Sabanā€™s incessant concerns are ā€œprocessā€ and ā€œexecution.ā€ My favorite line of the last couple days: ā€œā€¦if youā€™re not bringing your ā€˜Aā€™ game, you have a good shot of not being able to have success.ā€

You sure you want to go out on a limb there, coach?

Heā€™s a control freak, of course. They all are, and always have been.

Still, Saban seems to embody a new breed: colorless, humorless, and frighteningly efficient. Consider the most prominent among their ranks: Saban, Floridaā€™s Urban Meyer and Ohio Stateā€™s Jim Tressel. They look like theyā€™d OD if force-fed a bran muffin.

But Saban isnā€™t merely uptight. Heā€™s reputed to have a mean side. Heā€™s famous for making a Dolphins rookie named Manuel Wright cry at practice. When he left Michigan State for LSU, he sent a private plane to fetch any assistants who wished to continue working for him in Baton Rouge. The plane returned empty. Wonder why?

On Dec. 21, 2006, Saban declared: ā€œIā€™m not going to be the Alabama coach.ā€ Two weeks later, he took the job.

At $32 million for eight years, both Saban and the university have profited handsomely. But you wonder: what happened to the college football coach?

He could be excessive, wrong-headed, narcissistic. But he was also a unique figure, specific to an institution, or a region. It wasnā€™t so long ago: Ara Parseghian, Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson. They werenā€™t the same guy, nor were they trying to be.

Itā€™s worth mentioning that Saban has resurrected the football fortunes of an institution once known as Paul ā€œBearā€ Bryant University. Some years ago, I found myself doing research at the Bryant Museum in Tuscaloosa. The experience was a revelation. The allegiance Alabama football inspires is unlike anything I grew up with in New York, and much of it is based on the enduring cult of Bryant.

There was a reason -- many, actually -- that Bryant resonated so deeply with the people of Alabama.

Forty-five years ago, Bryantā€™s team played Darrell Royalā€™s Longhorns for the national championship, the first prime-time bowl game. With four days to go, Alabamaā€™s Joe Namath re-injured his knee in practice. Bryant wasted little time before informing the press that his new starting quarterback was Steve Sloan.

Why are you smiling? Bryant was asked.

ā€œBecause Iā€™m an idiot.ā€

Hardly. As it happened, Namath would relieve Sloan with 'Bama down 14-0. He then led the Tide on a thrilling comeback -- only to have it end on a fourth and goal in the fourth quarter. With his bad knee, Namath called a quarterback sneak and was stopped inches from of a touchdown.

So it ended, Alabamaā€™s undefeated season. By any interpretation, Namathā€™s decision was a failure of both execution and process. But its aftermath only inspired more loyalty in the coach.

Thereā€™s a famous photograph taken in the post-game locker room, Bryant with his arm around a crestfallen Namath. The great coach took the blame, saying the quarterback sneak had been his idea all along.

And therein lies the difference between the generations, and the men themselves. Bryant was older then than Saban is now, and making just $12,000 a year in salary. But rest assured that if he sent a plane, it would return packed with volunteers.

Click on the link for the full column

Archived