Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Football: Bowl Stuff

ixcuincle

Iowa just made the ACC look like a bunch of chumps.

Beat down the ACC Champs (and GT was the best team this season in the ACC, no question), and Derrick Morgan, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, didn't do anything except fail to catch Stanzi on a couple scrambles and collect a couple penalties.

Thanks GT.

Barber got 2 yards though. GT lost 11 yards.

Probably the funniest thing I've seen all season.

Lol Georgia beat Georgia Tech in basketball.

I have no idea how UGA is doing in bball. I only care about their football team. But I'm glad they beat GT. :D

Soooo glad Iowa won. They were underrated. LOL @ Tech. :rotflmao:

They are showing highlights of all the BCS games that aired on FOX.

How do you all think FOX did with the BCS? They did a pretty good job. Still better with them all on ABC though, just like old times.

I hate that Fox doesn't have something simple to tell me how many timeouts both team had.

Iowa just made the ACC look like a bunch of chumps.

Beat down the ACC Champs (and GT was the best team this season in the ACC, no question), and Derrick Morgan, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year, didn't do anything except fail to catch Stanzi on a couple scrambles and collect a couple penalties.

Thanks GT.

Playing a one dimensional with a month to prepare doesn't make the ACC look like chumps. It didn't even look like Georgia Tech practiced throwing the ball at all.

I hate that Fox doesn't have something simple to tell me how many timeouts both team had.

Playing a one dimensional with a month to prepare doesn't make the ACC look like chumps. It didn't even look like Georgia Tech practiced throwing the ball at all.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of the Fox presentation. They just cashed in on the BCS bowls for the ratings, which is unsurprising for Fox but still.

Iowa did a great job taking away the option plays, and Nesbitt can't really do much as an actual QB when he's got to make real plays with his arm. Their last few plays were a couple bad options (one of which almost resulted in a safety), some random deep comebacks or go routes in which Nesbitt just threw the ball as hard as he could without any real touch, and a screen up the middle. It didn't even look like the normal GT offense that ran all over everyone all season.

Credit to Iowa, they did what they had to do on defense.

Credit to GT for knocking VT out of the ACC championship, but VT would've destroyed Iowa tonight. That should've been our Orange Bowl, but that's our fault.

GT simply has ZERO capabilities to play from behind. Even two touchdowns is insurmountable with Johnson's one-dimensional offense. Had it not been for the pick six, that game would've been over by halftime.

Georgia Tech wasn't one-dimensional this year, dude. They have one of the best WR in the country in Thomas. He led the country in yards per reception. Something like 39 ypc.

Credit to GT for knocking VT out of the ACC championship, but VT would've destroyed Iowa tonight. That should've been our Orange Bowl, but that's our fault.

GT simply has ZERO capabilities to play from behind. Even two touchdowns is insurmountable with Johnson's one-dimensional offense. Had it not been for the pick six, that game would've been over by halftime.

'

Dude you have no clue what you're talking about. GT came from behind several times this year. And again, they weren't one-dimensional all season. They repeatedly hit long TD throws all year. They had probably the most big plays of any other team in the country. Thomas, their star WR, led the country in ypc. Some of you guys need to start watching more games before making comments.

If Ricky Stanzi didnt get hurt, Iowa could be getting ready to play for a national championship in a couple days. They lost the game he got hurt in because the backup looked like a deer in the headlights, and lost to Ohio State in overtime without him. Both games probably would of been wins.

Adrian Clayborn completely domianted GT tonight from his DE position. When they ran the triple option to his side, he seemed to shut them down singlehandidly. Dudes going to be a beast in the NFL, but sadly for NFL teams he's going back to school for another year. Probably would of been the best DE availible if he came out.

And with all that said.. obviously an Iowa homer! Go Hawks!!

Dude you have no clue what you're talking about. GT came from behind several times this year. And again, they weren't one-dimensional all season. They repeatedly hit long TD throws all year. They had probably the most big plays of any other team in the country. Thomas, their star WR, led the country in ypc. Some of you guys need to start watching more games before making comments.
They hit long throws, yes, but those throws were set up after already establishing the option plays.

Iowa's DTs were able to come up the middle of GT's o-line and disrupt their blocking while their corners and outside LBs played up and contained or blew up the pitch options.

Do that and Nesbitt isn't going to be passing for anything. The guy only threw for 47% accuracy this season on 153 passing attempts. Iowa wasn't even taking their LBs off the field as they knew Nesbitt wasn't going to beat them with his arm come crunch time in the 4th quarter. They kept their entire front 7 in to continue dominating GTs rushing threat.

Thomas could be a good WR, because he's pretty talented and he's a freak physically (he's about 6'3'' and 220 or so), but he only had 46 catches this year, 9 of which came against Duke.

If your QB can't complete more than 50% of his passes all season long, and your star receiver is just used to catch long bombs that are called only after establishing the option threat, then you don't have a real passing attack when it comes time to actually need one.

'

He's just bitter and delusional. He thinks VT is in this rarefied air that is guaranteed a BCS bowl every year when they're really just not special most years and mediocre ACC teams make them look better than they are.

Didn't Florida say the same exact thing earlier this year?

not sure if our athletic director said that...but the difference is, we play in the SEC....they play in the WAC. There isn't another strong team in their conference, we have to play LSU, Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, GA...etc

Easy fix:

1) Any FBS (Div 1-A) schools that play any FCS (Div 1-AA) or lower schools are disqualified from playing in the Conference Championship (or winning the conference in non-championship game leagues) and participating in the BCS. No more chump schedules fro the big boys.

I agree with this. I hate when UF plays team like Charleston Southern at the beginning of the year. Although, this would piss off teams like Appalachian State.

2) Require all out of conference scheduling to be a home-and-home series (with the option of the larger school "buying" the second home date)

This pretty much already exists. This is why the smaller schools agree to come to someone else's house for a single game against a powerhouse. They get PAID! They also get national exposure on television.

3) Conference championship games will pit the two best teams from the conference, ending the BS of the Big 12 and ACC, where the strong division winner plays a 4 loss team (no "divisions" in standings, only for scheduling)

I agree with this as well. You should also have to play everyone in your conference in a season, and all conferences should play a conference championship game. This would help eliminate the cupcake games from schedules.

4) Top 16 teams (Conference Champs from BCS conferences, MWC, WAC, plus any other undefeated FBS conf champs over second place teams from BCS conf) play a single elimination tourny (First Round: Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Chick-Fil-A, Cotton, Gator, Capitol One; Second Round:Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange; Third Round: Rotate through two of Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange: Championship: Every four yearsone of Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange hosts)

I disagree about putting undefeated non BCS conference teams above second place BCS teams. You can't convince me that Boise State or TCU are better than Florida this year. If there was a playoff this year...you'd have to include the Gators, Penn State, Virginia Tech....etc.

He's just bitter and delusional. He thinks VT is in this rarefied air that is guaranteed a BCS bowl every year when they're really just not special most years and mediocre ACC teams make them look better than they are.

And he's right. VT is by far the best program in the ACC. FSU might be coming at them since Bowden's retirement, but at this time only 2 teams have won a BCS bowl in the ACC! They're Virginia Tech (which haters may question since they beat "Cincinnati") and Florida State, which won a BCS game 10 years ago :hysterical:

Everyone else shames this conference greatly. Wake Forest was slapped around by Louisville. Georgia Tech looked pathetic last night. The only team that even bothered to show up not named VT was...FSU, who lost in overtime to your PSU.

Virginia Tech has been to the BCS bowls the most times out of all the ACC representatives. Although they may be 1-2 off the top of my head, that's still better than 0-1 for GT and Wake Forest.

But one or two tough games is what most schools play in their conference anyway.

Big Ten: 2 or 3 good teams each year

ACC: Let's be honest there's only been one legit team in that conference for the past few years

Big 12: 2 or 3 good teams, up to five when it's a great year but other years aside from Texas and Ok there's no one to write home about

Big East:??

Pac 10: 1, maybe 2 teams per year.

SEC: I'd say there are three teams in that conference annually that are pretty good. Again in great years, there's a whole bunch. But on average I'd say 3. Four if I'm being generous.

So to say BSU just plays two tough games isn't really that much of a knock. What I think is better to say is that no one in their conference is likely to beat them. Whereas, in other conferences a UNC, a Minnesota, a OkST, Oregon State, or Vandy can trip you up.

one of those tough games I was speaking of (for Boise state) is the bowl game they get rewarded with. Also....look at the conference teams they face.

I'm not even going to use the SEC as an example for this one. I'll use the PAC-10.

Do you think it is an easier road to play:

USC

Oregon

Oregon State

Arizona State

UCLA

CAL.....etc

or

Fresno State

Utah State

New Mexico State

Boise State

Nevada....etc.

it isn't even close, and the PAC-10 is a middle of the road conference.

And he's right. VT is by far the best program in the ACC. FSU might be coming at them since Bowden's retirement, but at this time only 2 teams have won a BCS bowl in the ACC! They're Virginia Tech (which haters may question since they beat "Cincinnati") and Florida State, which won a BCS game 10 years ago :hysterical:

Everyone else shames this conference greatly. Wake Forest was slapped around by Louisville. Georgia Tech looked pathetic last night. The only team that even bothered to show up not named VT was...FSU, who lost in overtime to your PSU.

Virginia Tech has been to the BCS bowls the most times out of all the ACC representatives. Although they may be 1-2 off the top of my head, that's still better than 0-1 for GT and Wake Forest.

But to make a statement like his is a little ridiculous. He acts like it's VT's birthright to be in the BCS bowl even after GT beat you guys fair and square.

Georgia Tech wasn't one-dimensional this year, dude. They have one of the best WR in the country in Thomas. He led the country in yards per reception. Something like 39 ypc.

A team that averages 135yds per game in the air isn't one dimensional? They only throw it to one WR. The next leading receiver is a RB and there is a 910 yard difference between him and Thomas.

So what if they're one dimensional? VT couldn't stop it. Iowa could.

We're back to my original point. It helps to have an entire month to stop a one dimensional offense. They are great at that one dimension but when they actually had to throw the ball everyone knew the game was over.

Archived