Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Obama was married to a white woman....

ljs

This is Tiger Woods related, and I'm trying to track down an online version of an editorial I read in today's local paper.

The story was about the reaction to Tiger Woods not only being married to a white woman, but the reaction to him cheating with other white women. The article talked about the difference with a black man being with a white woman vs black woman, especially well to do/successful black men. Examples mentioned OJ, Ali, (and even Ice Tea is married to a white woman.)

I found the quotes from a professor and NY citizen in the article, I think the AP poste this- will look for the website.

There is a call for loyalty that is stronger in some ways than in other racial communities," said the author of the study, George Yancey, a sociology professor at the University of North Texas and author of the book "Just Don't Marry One."

The color of one's companion has long been a major measure of "blackness" — which is a big reason why the biracial Barack Obama was able to fend off early questions about his black authenticity.

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him," Johnson Cooper said.

So do Woods' women say something about the intensely private golfer's views on race?

"I would like to say no, but I think it garners a bit of a yes," Johnson Cooper said.

What do you guys think? I know there have been issues with interracial marriage, from both races. However, I really never thought it would have caused someone to not vote for president b/c of it.

Anyway, I'm curious about the issue on Obama and had he married a white woman, would it have changed your vote? How do you really feel about mixed race marriages?

EDIT:for some reason I can't get the AP site, but its on google (not the actual AP site, odd0

Tiger's troubles widen his distance from blacks

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gGs6MiHNHuLCVRQ-fMOmO8Sr7ASgD9CDRIGG0

click link for entire article..

By JESSE WASHINGTON (AP) – 2 days ago

Amid all the headlines generated by Tiger Woods' troubles — the puzzling car accident, the suggestions of marital turmoil and multiple mistresses — little attention has been given to the race of the women linked with the world's greatest golfer. Except in the black community.

When three white women were said to be romantically involved with Woods in addition to his blonde, Swedish wife, blogs, airwaves and barbershops started humming, and Woods' already tenuous standing among many blacks took a beating.

On the nationally syndicated Tom Joyner radio show, Woods was the butt of jokes all week.

"Thankfully, Tiger, you didn't marry a black woman. Because if a sister caught you running around with a bunch of white hoochie-mamas," one parody suggests in song, she would have castrated him.

That's an interesting question. I don't have any idea. I know as far as religion goes in Judiasm it's believed that the religion flows from the mother and so it is in some ways more important that the son marry Jewish than the daughter, but I don't know a lot about these things. Good topic.

the more I look into this, it seems like there is a "buzz" on the interwebz about this.

One of my employees who is white and has a daughter with a black man. She is now dating another black man. Her current bf is pretty upfront, saying he would never date a black woman b/c "they are scandalous". odd, any woman can be like that.

it almost seems like a form of self hate. How do you not like your own race.

I coundn't care less about this, but I can understand why a traditionally marginalized minority community might have people who did care. As far as I can tell, there is pressure in virtually every minority community to marry within the community.

Almost every grandmother ever: "Why don't you find a nice Jewish (Chinese)(Muslim)(Latino)(Italian)(Japanese)(whatever) girl and settle down?"

The color of one's companion has long been a major measure of "blackness" — which is a big reason why the biracial Barack Obama was able to fend off early questions about his black authenticity.

"Had Barack had a white wife, I would have thought twice about voting for him," Johnson Cooper said.

I found that to be a little disturbing. You would consider not voting for Obama because his wife is white? To me that stink of, oh I don't know.....racism, perhaps?

I found that to be a little disturbing. You would consider not voting for Obama because his wife is white? To me that stink of, oh I don't know.....racism, perhaps?

Racism? WHAT? In this country?

You're crazy!

There's a perfectly logical not racist explanation for why Obama didn't win most of the southern states. :silly:

I'm sorry but before I comment on this I gotta say LMAO! @ Ice Tea.

With that said, I'vce always been interested in hearing the opinion of other black men in regards to seeing successful black men married to white women.[/QUOT

I speak jive so I'll wager in. This black male in particular feels that if that's what they want to do so be it. People spend too much time trying to dictate to others. There are too many other issues that need to be addressed before taking this on.

of the economically successful, white folks make up a sizable majority. Those that become economically successful thus have mostly white peers. So it doesn't really surprise me that economically successful black men marry white women... they probably just meet a lot more white women than black women, in their social circles.

Heck, my grandmother wouldn't talk to her sister for over 20 years because she brought an Italian into the Irish neighborhood.

Heh, my great granny like to had a stroke when I brought a German wife to visit

they probably just meet a lot more white women than black women, in their social circles. :hysterical:

sorry the image of Tiger and the waitress in the parking lot came to mind.

I don't see many people in here answering the question asked in the OP.

Honestly, I bet a lot less people would have voted for him had that been the case. Michelle Obama is a classy woman and I think she helped bring votes for her husband. If Obama had a white wife, I think there would have been a shift.

Archived