Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"New Moon" Drinking Game

BALLz

I got no beef with Twilight.

I really dont have beef with Harry Potter either.

Yeah it can be corny and I see the side of it that says christ this is annoying but no one judges me for watching Teletubbies until I was 14.

wait, you watched teletubbies 'til you were 14? I am SO passing judgment on that one.

Yeah, me neither.

It seems like guys who are confident in themselves just laugh at us and let us be. My husband is just like "Oh Katie! You're ridiculous" then just walks off and does something else. He doesn't (and neither does any other guy I know) harp on me or my girlfriends for enjoying a show. It's fun, harmless entertainment.

Call it crap as much as you want, but the marketing they've done for these movies is extremely intelligent and innovative. That's a big reason this has become such a hit. Maybe others in the industry can take some notes ???

I say the same thing to my girlfriend when she teases me about how much she loves Edward as soon as the commercial comes on, and the topic is over and done with. But this is a discussion board, in a thread talking about Twilight. Why not discuss it then? This angle of guys not being confident in themselves and that's why they bash Twilight doesn't really register.

Out of curiosity as a genuine question, what marketing has the newest Twilight movie done that's so innovative? I know they've been doing a lot with MTV, going back to showing the trailer exclusively during the VMAs and who knows what else (I don't watch MTV but I'm sure they've been doing special shows and things on TRL or something).

I don't think any movie is going to top the marketing campaign for The Dark Knight. They had about 10 different websites continuously getting set up at different times until the release, with online puzzles, the Why So Serious campaign with the Joker, the We Believe in Harvey Dent online sites, etc.

http://joesherry.blogspot.com/2008/12/twilight-by-stephanie-meyer.html

So, uh yeah. That's garbage. It's a bad thing to put out there to young women, it sets them up for serious failures in relationships and getting into dangerous ones and is simply bad.

The guy gets upset all the time, breaks into her house and she's cool with it.

I understand the "bad boy" thing but it's a sick meme to be transmitting to young girls because this goes beyond him being a brooding loner who doesn't respect authority into being a controlling, stalking weirdo.

Yeah, so if anyone can justify this, I'd LOVE an explanation.

First, I have read Twillight. I state that so you understand that I am not just some guy who sees the whole phenom as a "Chick Thing" and commenting without actually have read the book. And honestly, as an adult, there are better series out there within this particular genre, and better authors. Kelly Armstrong, Iiona Andrews, Kim Harrison, etc. It is not bad, but there are much better out there.

This is my last semester of regular university classes (just my internship to finish), and had to read the book as part of a class that looks at young adult literature (11-19) from the standpoint of a future teacher selecting texts for use with, well, young adults. It is from this viewpoint that I have an issue with the books.

Some mention the stalking (don't agree with this one, or at least I realize it is standard "behavior" of vamps in fiction) and the controlling attitude of Edward (which I do agree with). How about the fact that he is a much older "man" who is controlling and, imo, is borderline verbally abusive towards a 17 year old girl still in highschool? Or that fact that it is promoted as "romantic" for a 17 year old girl to become so obsessed with and OLDER man that she lies to her family and friends and risks her life to try and be with this guy. If one was to take the vampire storyline out and make Edward, say, a 30 year old man who happends to look young instead of a 110 year old vampire (who acts like a much older man many times), would the series be lauded or would it be viewed as extremely disturbing?

Again, adults can read it and rationalize his behavior, or ignore his age, etc. but this book is being used in 8th grade classrooms (yes, I have seen this with my own eyes) as a reading text while at the same time we see news stories of young adults being preyed upon by older men who take advantage of the romantic view many girls seem to have have of the "bad boy", "dark and mysterious," and the like. I just think it sends the wrong message to the intended audience.

How about the fact that he is a much older "man" who is controlling and, imo, is borderline verbally abusive towards a 17 year old girl still in highschool? Or that fact that it is promoted as "romantic" for a 17 year old girl to become so obsessed with and OLDER man that she lies to her family and friends and risks her life to try and be with this guy. If one was to take the vampire storyline out and make Edward, say, a 30 year old man who happends to look young instead of a 110 year old vampire (who acts like a much older man many times), would the series be lauded or would it be viewed as extremely disturbing?
:applause:

I really don't see how the main vampire guy is considered such a heartthrob the dude looks like a homeless bum IMO.

But he's sensitive, mysterious, and brooding and gives of all the vibes that he needs a woman to fix him....:chair: not to mention, perfectly crafted bed hed hair.:doh: And he hangs out in the woods. I mentioned all this and basically told a 19 year old coworker of mine the whole plot of the series without even having ever been interested in the stuff. She was "amazed" at how "right on" I was.:laugh: Some have wondered about all the fascination with it when there is no substance to it. That's the point they are marketing to people who just want to watch "hot" people on the screen pretend to be "deep and interesting". Its just fluff and fluff is always marketable, but to each their his or her own.

Yeah, me neither.

It seems like guys who are confident in themselves just laugh at us and let us be. My husband is just like "Oh Katie! You're ridiculous" then just walks off and does something else. He doesn't (and neither does any other guy I know) harp on me or my girlfriends for enjoying a show. It's fun, harmless entertainment.

Call it crap as much as you want, but the marketing they've done for these movies is extremely intelligent and innovative. That's a big reason this has become such a hit. Maybe others in the industry can take some notes ???

you're just hating on people who like to hate

can't a guy hate on something without people giving him **** about it?

I thought it was much better than the original movie.
That's like saying Bruce Gradkowski is much better than JaMarcus Russell lol.gif
Harry Potter did, too.

Well, the midnight showing, anyway. Not for the full day.

Yeah, but at least Harry Potter is good (as were the books). Twilight is :pooh:

• 4 months later...

I have to bump this, my wife and I finally saw New Moon, we rented it from RedBox for $1, and thank God that's all we spent. We were both in agreement, what a ****-storm this was.

The girl, Bella or whatever, is terrible. Just terrible. Her two expressions appear to be "Vacant stare" and "Vacant stare while trying not to cry and contemplating slashing my wrists."

And the guys aren't much better. First, you have the vampire guy who basically blows her off, and she pines over him for months. WHY? There is nothing interesting about him. He has four versions the same expression throughout the entire film (some sort of soulless grimace) but his skin glitters and he can bite her and make her undead. I'm not a chick, but I can't imagine that making me want to drop the pants.

On the other hand, you have an impressively muscular kid who basically wants to kill people at the slightest provocation. But he wants to protect her, which I guess is worth something, and at least he can somewhat act, which is more than I can say for the other two.

Finally, nothing FREAKING happened in this movie. Let's recap, and sorry if I ruin this for anyone. Vampire family recognized as not aging, so they leave. Bella pouts and pines and acts depressed. This is practically HALF THE DAMN MOVIE!!!!!

Oh wait, another kid likes her, they build a relationship, but he's a werewolf. Seriously, WTF is in the water in this town? Oh, and a redheaded vampire wants to kill Bella (a shame that she failed) but doesn't, and yet there's no real confrontation, no nothing. She's in the movie for five minutes and then disappears.

Oh wait, now we're in Italy because vampire boy thinks Bella is dead and wants to kill himself. He's saved at the last minute...moody vampire talk...more moody vampire talk...confrontation at the end between vampire guy and werewolf guy. At least now I know why there was all those Team Vampire vs. Team Werewolf commericals on T.V., because of a two minute scene.

God I could care less. Thank God we had other movies to watch. We also saw "Up in the Air" and "Law Abiding Citizen." Both were far superior to this garbage on film. Maybe the books are better, I don't know, but this franchise needs to be treated like a lame horse....taken behind the shed and given a merciful bullet, then turned into glue.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but if a person were to drink every time Wolfboy and Teengirl leaned in to kiss but didn't kiss, they'd be hung over by the time credits rolled.

Awful movie. I'm ashamed for watching it. I wasted a Netflick.

And I heard from some people who have read the books that there's a buildup in the last novel to an epic fight scene which doesn't even happen. EPIC fail.
Yep. I read/skimmed thru the whole series. My wife forced me to. Good thing about it tho is you can skip pages at a time and not miss anything. Some chapters even. The end "fight" was like some piss icing on a crap cake of a book. I cussed out my wife when I finished reading it.

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

So I'm having trouble figuring this out. Are you guys saying you didn't like the book/movie? :ols:

I think my feelings on the matter are perfectly clear. The first movie was tolerable. I can't imagine how anyone likes this second one. I'd have to imagine that anyone who does also drools on themselves, and is distracted by shiny objects. The movie has a friggin 4.5 out of 10 on IMDB, which is saying something since that site usually has inflated numbers.

Archived