Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com / MSNBC: Shootings, multiple deaths reported at Fort Hood (MET; Merged)

jpillian

Where did you hear that, D?

I was there on Sept 11, and that place was a mad house of disinformation (as you can expect for an installation that large).

I can only imagine what's going on there now.

I heard it on CNN but a military member (don't know who) called in and said it was standard procedure, one of many they have in the event of an emergency of this type. So basically it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

People are speculating on whether or not this was a terrorist attack, but by definition, isn't this terrorism?

It may or may not be a terrorist from the Middle-East, but it sure sounds like terrorism to me, even if it turns out to be a white guy from Oklahoma with a crew cut.

Terrorism tends to have a political reason. It's intended to shake the faith people have that their government can protect them and influence them to change their governments behavior. This could turn out to be disgruntled soldiers mad about something... or just plain crazy mass murderers like guy in PA that shot up an LA Fitness because hot women weren't into him.

It's too early to even speculate really. We literally have know idea what happened yet other than some people were shot by an unknown number of shooters.

FYI -- I'm updating the OP as they occur.

Found this interesting from the MyFox DFW article:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/multiple_casualties_at_fort_hood

According to officials, the incident was a dual attack. One happened at the Soldier Readiness Center at the post in Killeen, Texas. The other shoot happened at a graduation ceremony taking place at a theatre on the base.

"It would be an environment that would be very susceptible to casualties or injuries," Killeen City Manager Connie Green said.

Green said one shooter was still on the loose and that two others were in custody.

However, there were just two shooters according to other reports.

So possibly two separate attacks, and possibly three shooters.

I work on post sometimes and as recently as yesterday. We have a job at Darnall Hospital that is the renovation and expansion of the cafeteria, and the job I was on which is the renovation of the barracks. It's not just a couple of MP's at the gates, its a third party security company and you need a pass to get on Fort Hood. That means if you want to get on for just a day, you go to the visitor's center outside of the Main Gate and show them your driver's license and insurance and tell them what you're planning on doing. They take down your info, including license plate number and give you a pass. Everybody from my company who works on Fort Hood gets a 6 month pass for every vehicle, company or otherwise that needs to get through the gates every day for work.

They've backed off of this recently, but about 2 years ago, commercial vehicles such as my service van would be be pulled over to the side and we'd have to step out and open every compartment in the van. You also opened the hood and they'd take a mirror and sweep around underneath. That wasn't every time you went through the gate, but I'd say it was like 1 in 5 trips.

I wasn't on Fort Hood today, but some of the other guys told me the jobs got shut down around 2. All this is pretty crazy. I hope the worst is over since they have 2 of the guys in custody.

From MSNBC coverage:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Milly Land, who works at the base fitness center, said she was headed for the graduation ceremony at 2 p.m. at the Howze Theater when the campus was locked down. She went back to the fitness center. She said she spoke by phone with friends at the soldier processing center, who said a gunman walked in about 1:30, walked to the medical area of the processing center, and started shooting. A second gunman was shooting at the theater next door, she said.

Captured soldier was a major with an arabic sounding name according to NBC.

No intelligence to indicate a terror plot.

Okay, so we have multiple shooters, one gunman with an "Arabic sounding name," and shots fired at a place on base where troops are getting ready to be deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm making a leap here, but I'm guessing it's terrorism.

Archived