Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com / MSNBC: Shootings, multiple deaths reported at Fort Hood (MET; Merged)

jpillian

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.shootings/index.html

Eleven people plus a gunman were dead and 31 wounded after the gunman opened fire Thursday on a soldier-processing center at Fort Hood, Texas, officials said.

The gunman was a soldier, and two other soldiers have been detained as suspects, Army Lt. Gen. Bob Cone said.

The slain gunman was identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, a law enforcement source told CNN. Licensed in Virginia, Hasan was a psychiatrist who previously worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center but more recently was practicing at Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood, according to professional records.

Ten of the other dead also were soldiers, while the remaining one was a civilian police officer who was working as a contractor on the base, Cone said.

Two of the injured were in "very serious" condition, Fort Hood spokesman Christopher Hogue said.

More than one shooter may have been involved, Cone said.

"All the casualties took place at the initial incident, that took place at 13:30 [1:30 p.m. CT], at the soldier readiness facility," Cone said.

The primary shooter had two weapons, both handguns, he said.

"The local police response forces were there relatively quickly and killed the confirmed shooter," Cone said.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, said she was told that the soldiers at the readiness facility "were filling out paper processing to go to Iraq or Afghanistan," according to CNN affiliate KXAN in Austin, Texas.

A senior officer who was playing golf Thursday about 2.5 miles from the attack said he witnessed the arrest of one of the two surviving suspects.

Shortly after the shooting, military police told him to clear the course, and he saw other MPs surround the building that held the golf carts, he said. He ducked into a nearby house for cover as 30 to 40 cars carrying MPs approached, he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

A U.S. soldier opened fire Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, killing at least 11 people and wounding 31 others, military officials said. The gunman was shot to death, and two other soldiers were in custody.

NBC News’ Pete Williams reported that U.S. officials identified the gunman as Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist who had been promoted to major in May. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, said military officials told her that the gunman, who was 39 or 40, was about to be deployed to Iraq and was “upset about it.”

Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone, commanding general of the Army’s III Corps, who briefed President Barack Obama on the shootings, said the gunman used two handguns.

It was unclear why the two other soldiers were taken into custody. A senior administration official told NBC News that the shootings could have been a criminal matter rather than a terrorism-related attack and that there was no intelligence to suggest a plot against Fort Hood.

Military and local hospital officials said the victims were a mixture of men and women, military and civilian. At least one of those killed was a civilian police officer, Cone said. At least four local SWAT officers were among those wounded, NBC affiliate KCEN-TV of Waco reported.

Two of the victims remained in surgery late Thursday afternoon at Metroplex Hospital in Killeen. One of them, a woman, is an emergency medical worker the base, the hospital said.

Fort Hood, one of the largest military complexes in the world, was on lockdown, as were schools in the area. Dozens of agents of the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives responded to the post, federal officials said.

Muslim group condemns shootings

Speaking in Washington, Obama called the shootings a “horrific incident.”

“It’s difficult enough when we lose these great Americans in battles overseas,” Obama said at the Interior Department. “It’s horrifying that they should come under fire at an Army base on American soil.”

Noting the Arabic nature of the gunman’s name, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Washington interest group, condemned “this cowardly attack in the strongest terms possible and ask that the perpetrators be punished to the full extent of the law.”

”No political or religious ideology could ever justify or excuse such wanton and indiscriminate violence,” the council said in a statement. “The attack was particularly heinous in that it targeted the all-volunteer army that protects our nation. American Muslims stand with our fellow citizens in offering both prayers for the victims and sincere condolences to the families of those killed or injured.”

Shootings in deployment processing center

Emergency Services officials at Fort Hood said the incident began about 1:30 p.m. CT (2:30 p.m. ET) when the gunman opened fire in the Soldiers Readiness Processing Center on the west side of the base. A spokesman for the base, Sgt. Major Jamie Posten, said the processing center was where soldiers “cycle through as they prepare to deploy.”

Retired Army Col. Greg Schannep, an aide to Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, who was on the post to attend a graduation service, told the Fort Hood Sentinel that he heard “three or four volleys of shots, with eight to 12 shots in each volley.”

“Initially, I thought it was a training exercise,” he said. But then, “a soldier came running past me and said, ‘Sir, there is someone shooting.’

“As he ran past me, I saw blood on his back,” Schannep told the base paper. “I don’t think he even knew he had been shot.”

Fort Hood is adjacent to Killeen, about 60 miles northeast of Austin. The sprawling complex is home to at least 4,929 active-duty officers and 45,414 enlisted. Civilian employees total nearly 9,000.

A spokesman for the Army, Lt. Col. Lee M. Packnett, said he was unaware whether security measures were put in place at other military bases. A spokesman at Fort Lewis, Wash., said the incident was being treated as isolated.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/multiple_casualties_at_fort_hood

KILLEEN, Texas - Officials at the Fort Hood Army Base in Killeen say 12 people are dead and about 30 are wounded in a mass shooting on the property.

According to spokesman Lt. Gen Bob Cone from Fort Hood, a soldier carrying two handguns opened fire at about 1:30 p.m. Thursday at the Soldier Readiness Center.

"It would be an environment that would be very susceptible to casualties or injuries," Killeen City Manager Connie Green said.

Officials said Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan was shot and killed after quick response from security officers.

At least two other soldiers were taken into custody.

A civilian police officer was among the deceased. Some of the wounded were military personnel.

"We’re praying that those who are injured … are not seriously injured," Green said.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/soldiers-killed-fort-hood-shooting/story?id=9007938

Twelve people have been killed and 31 wounded in a shooting spree at a Texas military base in a murderous rampage that officials believe was carried out by an Army officer.

he suspected gunman was identified by ABC News as Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, told Fox News that military sources informed her that the gunman was about to be deployed to Iraq.

The shooter was killed and two other suspects, who are also soldiers, have been apprehended, Lt. Gen. Robert W. Cone said.

Hasan allegedly opened fire and killed 11 people on the base before he was shot, bringing the total number of fatalities to 12.

The general said there were "eyewitness accounts of more than one shooter," and the others were tracked to an adjacent facility.

Cone called the attack "a terrible tragedy, stunning." He said the community was "absolutely devastated."

President Obama called the Fort Hood shootings a "horrific outburst of violence."

"It is difficult enough to lose" soldiers overseas, but it is "horrifying that they should lose their lives at an Army base in the U.S.," he said.

"My prayers are with the wounded and the families of the fallen," said the president.

President Obama also offered his help to Cone.

"We know this is a tremendous tragedy down there," the president told Gen. Cone, according to a White House official. "Our thoughts are with you and all your soldiers."

The Senate and the House of Representatives held a moment of silence this evening for the victims of the Fort Hood massacre.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry ordered flags be flown at half mast until Sunday.

Cone said the motive for the attack, which took place just after 1:30 p.m. CT, is unclear.

Fort Hood, located just 60 miles north from Austin, is the largest U.S. military installation in the world, and has suffered the greatest number of casualities of all American bases in the war on Iraq.

The base is a 340 sq. mile facility located in Killeen, Texas and is home to the 1st Cavalry Division, which was one of the first groups of soldiers deployed to Iraq.

Cone said that a gunman entered a facility known as the Soldier Readiness Facility, where soldiers who are preparing to deploy go for last minute medical check ups and dental treatment. Sources told ABC News that the soldiers gathered there were getting ready to deploy to Iraq.

The gunman used two handguns, Cone said. He wasn't sure if the shooter reloaded the weapons during the attack.

"The gunman opened fire and essentially due to the quick respond of the police forces was killed," said Cone.

The shooter was killed by civilian law enforcement and one police officer died in the shootout, Cone said.

The gunman's suspected accomplices were taken into custody in an adjacent facility known as the old SportsDome Complex.

per Fox, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572305,00.html

DEVELOPING: A mass shooting at Ft. Hood military base in Texas has left at least 7 dead and 12 wounded, officials confirmed to MyFoxDFW.com.

There were two shooters in the Army base massacre and one suspect is in custody, Fox News confirmed.

The attack apparently happened at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, MyFoxDFW.com said.

Army officials didn't know whether the victims were civilians or military personnel.

The men were dressed in Army fatigues, but military officials couldn't confirm that they were Army personnel.

it's definitely planned but no one is stating terrorism yet.

They're still trying to confirm the multiple shooters. They are saying there "may" be militiple shooters. We know there were groups planning to attack military bases in the past. Hopefully it is more of a rogue thing, and not what everyone is thinking....

So Fort Hood is in Kileen. That's where there was a mass shooting at a Luby's restaurant in 1991. A guy crashed his pickup into the restaurant and started shooting, killing 23 people and wounding 20 before killing himself.

That whole place is crazy.

They are saying now that it looks like the shooters are military too. But who knows.

They're still trying to confirm the multiple shooters. They are saying there "may" be militiple shooters. We know there were groups planning to attack military bases in the past. Hopefully it is more of a rogue thing, and not what everyone is thinking....

My heart aches if it is a terror attack...

From what is being said on the radio... this happened around the time of a graduation ceremony and the public was permitted on to the base b/c of the ceremony.

Reports say there could be as many as 3 shooters.

This is awful. There will be a lot of speculation, and we probably should not indulge in it too much before the facts come out.

With that said, I think that if I was a terrorist, the last place I would bother to attack would be Fort Hood. Give me some nice civilians to terrorize, or a target of symbolic significance like the Statue of Liberty or the Capitol. I suspect this is more of a "Private Pyle" situation.

This is awful. There will be a lot of speculation, and we probably should not indulge in it too much before the facts come out.

With that said, I think that if I was a terrorist, the last place I would bother to attack would be Fort Hood. Give me some nice civilians to terrorize, or a target of symbolic significance like the Statue of Liberty or the Capitol. I suspect this is more of a "Private Pyle" situation.

What's more symbolic than the largest military base in the world?

But who knows. Wait and see at this point. They're saying 7 dead and 20 wounded now :(

I feel for the soldiers at Fort Hood. This is terrible.

This is of personal concern to me because I am leaving in the next few months for Army basic training and I will be stationed in Texas at some point next year. Going from high school, where shootings have been in the news plenty, to the Army, it's unfortunate that this type of thing has to be such concern for so many young people in America.

Archived