Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Wizards Thread - SUMMER LEAGUE IS ON

No Excuses

My whole thing is, why are you playing for the final shot? You are down 1, so if you miss you gotta give yourself a chance to foul. That was a dumb play by Arenas waiting for so long to make his move. Trying to be the hero.

I said a couple pages ago, that we will lose 5 out of 7 after that Indiana game. I think that was the dagger to the heart that we will never rebound from.

We won't win a championship until 2031.

The Washington Wizards are losers. And I mean Redskin type losers. Can't finish a game. Gil has cost us how many straight games. I want to give him credit because he pretty much is the reason we were in it in the end, a hell of a 4th quarter, but it comes down to the BIG play and instead of wisely going for points or running the offense, we waste time and reaped what we sew.

Oh well. Long season.

This a thread about the Wizards. Stop bringing this AO banter into every damn thread. We get it, AO is a great player. We're not idiots.

First off, cite any other time in this Wizards thread I have even alluded to Ovechkin...

Second, there are plenty of others who cite the Capitals in non Caps threads more than me. Seriously, cry me a river.

Third, my comment was more to state that it's too bad you cannot count on Arenas at the end of games anymore. 2007 seems so long ago now. I think he just isn't fully mentally back into it yet. We can still turn this around because we play in the EC.

Too bad? That was so ill advised. Just get points Gilbert. We have two stars in D.C. One is clutch, the other is no longer.

Arenas finished with like...33? 13 in the 4th quarter?

How was it ill advised? He was making a move to get to the basket for a layup and try to get fouled.

I gave credit when credit is due. Evans made an awesome strip.

Arenas did well in the 4th. Jamison's stupid shot with 45 seconds left was ill advised.

Arenas finished with like...33? 13 in the 4th quarter?

How was it ill advised? He was making a move to get to the basket for a layup and try to get fouled.

I gave credit when credit is due. Evans made an awesome strip.

Arenas did well in the 4th. Jamison's stupid shot with 45 seconds left was ill advised.

As I said in my earlier post, I want to give him credit, he is the reason we had a chance at all but you cannot tell me standing around and wasting precious time when you're down one is not ill advised. That was a bonehead move and you know it. If he'd played it smart he probably would've been the hero. Granted, yes, Jamison's shot was far worse. That was a head smacker wasn't it.

They are going no where this season. Time to trade Arenas for Shaq + clevelands 1st this year and then buy out shaq. Chemistry of the team improves and we escape Agent Zeroes huge contract. Plus, lets get some of these younger guys playing.

Ive said it before and ill say it again. Until Jamison and Butler are gone, this team will go nowhere. Jamison for all his offensive wizardy, can not play any defense. That is an understatement even. Butler however is a ballhog, who cant shoot when he is supposed to, shoots when he isnt, pump fakes on every shot, gets atleast 2 charges every game, misses atleast 1 dunk per game, complains more to the ref about the foul call than plays defense, and DOES NOT PLAY ANY TEAM BASKETBALL.

I would rather stevenson play out there than butler. Let Javale and Nick Young play more. I cant take Butler's Arenas impression anymore. It has gotten old and stale. The big 3 didnt work the last 3 years, it wont work now.

Now those who haven't experienced it get to enjoy...

The curse of les boulez.

It's not Eddie Jordan's fault, or Ernie Grunfeld.

It's the curse.

Of course basketball is the ONLY sport where only teams with a legit superstar wins championships.

We don't have one.

Cleveland is the bottom of the barrel. The got lebroni james. No star, no chance. Just ask cleveland.

I think I gotta agree with chipwhich. We are just cursed. And suck.

Two last things...one JaVale McGee needs to play for the love of god. Why he doesn't get a single minute is beyond my comprehension. He jumps out of the gym and is like the only player we have who goes for blocks.

Also, I will forever remember LeBron James whispering in Arenas' ear and Gilbert proceeding to blow those two free throws a few years back. I feel that was the beginning of our collapse. That was our one year to do anything.

Bunch of bums. Starting to also think we should've kept that 5th overall pick, cuz Foye isn't even playing. Ahhh geez....Washington DC sports. Go Hoyas!

Also fro sticksboi....

Name the last 5 teams and years of NBA champions that won a title WITHOUT a top 5 talent in the league.

Thats NBA basketball. You get lucky to get a Kobe, Lebron, Jordan or you don't win....less maybe the Pistons.

What does that have to do at all with my statement on Arenas's decision being ill advised?

Ive said it before and ill say it again. Until Jamison and Butler are gone' date=' this team will go nowhere. Jamison for all his offensive wizardy, can not play any defense. That is an understatement even. Butler however is a ballhog, who cant shoot when he is supposed to, shoots when he isnt, pump fakes on every shot, gets atleast 2 charges every game, misses atleast 1 dunk per game, complains more to the ref about the foul call than plays defense, and DOES NOT PLAY ANY TEAM BASKETBALL.

I would rather stevenson play out there than butler. Let Javale and Nick Young play more. I cant take Butler's Arenas impression anymore. It has gotten old and stale. The big 3 didnt work the last 3 years, it wont work now.[/quote']

The team is built wrong.

First off you've got the backcourt that is flooded with jumpshooters. That's it. Our only "perimeter" defender is Stevenson, and even them him being on an NBA squad is proof that anyone can get into the NBA. We don't have any true "role players", because everyone fits the same profile.

Then you look at the front court and it's just a mess. Jamison as has been stated cannot play defense, literally the man CANNOT play defense. Haywood has taken 7 years to look halfway decent and even then he's a smidgen above Erika Dampier (good defensive center, but he is beyond a liability on the offensive end), Oberto is alright but he's slow and not very skilled, McGee is VERY skilled but too thin and still raw, McGuire is undersized and a serviceable post defender, and Blatche can shoot but other than that he is good for some "Blatche" moments every game where you shake your head in disgust.

So the simple answer is the "Big 3" needs to go. Arenas is going to be the hardest to move which is why I'm inclined to wait until the trade deadline when teams are starting to realize "oh **** we need another guy to help us make a run in the playoffs". But Butler and Jamison will command high value. Jamison will get a lot of looks from contenders needing an outside scoring threat and size. Butler will get offers because teams don't realize he is an average starting forward, really not deserving as a 3rd or 2nd scoring option.

As I said in my earlier post, I want to give him credit, he is the reason we had a chance at all but you cannot tell me standing around and wasting precious time when you're down one is not ill advised. That was a bonehead move and you know it. If he'd played it smart he probably would've been the hero. Granted, yes, Jamison's shot was far worse. That was a head smacker wasn't it.

He was going for a buzzer beater, something he's done a few times before with success. While there are definitely options there, I can't fault him entirely for it. He liked his chances and honestly so did I...either to beat his man and make a layup or get to the line.

With the Wiz ****ty defense I wouldn't want to put the ball in Sacto's hands with time left for a win. I'd rather try to make a buzzer beater and end it instead of having to rely on my defense to make a stop.

Which do you prefer? Arenas trying to go for a buzzer beater or the Wizards trying to make a stop on a team they've already allowed 100+ to?

He was going for a buzzer beater, something he's done a few times before with success. While there are definitely options there, I can't fault him entirely for it. He liked his chances and honestly so did I...either to beat his man and make a layup or get to the line.

With the Wiz ****ty defense I wouldn't want to put the ball in Sacto's hands with time left for a win. I'd rather try to make a buzzer beater and end it instead of having to rely on my defense to make a stop.

Which do you prefer? Arenas trying to go for a buzzer beater or the Wizards trying to make a stop on a team they've already allowed 100+ to?

But in the event that one mistake happens, you've taken precious time you'll need to make up for it and that's what happened.

The team is built wrong.

So the simple answer is the "Big 3" needs to go. Arenas is going to be the hardest to move which is why I'm inclined to wait until the trade deadline when teams are starting to realize "oh **** we need another guy to help us make a run in the playoffs". But Butler and Jamison will command high value. Jamison will get a lot of looks from contenders needing an outside scoring threat and size. Butler will get offers because teams don't realize he is an average starting forward, really not deserving as a 3rd or 2nd scoring option.

You might as well forget it. Gi is going nowhere. He is the washington Bullets. (always thought the name Wizards was about as bad as it gets.) The best we can do is try to rebuild around him We need non-selfish players on this team. They also have to have decent hands, and can play some defense. How many times do we have to watch a ball slip through brendan, blatche, or butlers hands? I find it ironic that here we are 3 years later, and the one player who looks to give it away the most is gilbert. The rest of the team (outside of oberto, stevenson, boykins, javale, and dominic) just starts jacking up low percentage jumpers without any ball movement.

I am discounting Boykins here. Sure the man does produce. But he is just as useless on defense as anyone else on this team. All you have to do is stand and hold the ball above his head. To make matters worse, he uses the entire shot clock on every offensive possession. This would be great on good teams, but since we are always losing, if we dont make that shot we are in serious trouble. Randy Foye is misfit and needs to go. I dont think there is anything that he can do to convince me he fits in with this team. Which role can he play? Streaky offensive scorer? Well we already have that in Gilbert, Jamison, Butler, Blatche, and Young. This is why im much more inclined to keep Stevenson out there. What does it matter though. This season is over.

I could try to come up with some type of remedy to this problem, but there is none. The Curse is alive and well. Hopefully if Leonsis buys this team and changes the name and colors back, we will be rid of this curse. It worked for the Caps. Its worth a shot.

Eh another day in the world of DC Sports. :doh:

Second, there are plenty of others who cite the Capitals in non Caps threads more than me. Seriously, cry me a river.

Yup and they are all fan boys and annoying as hell. If you're so much in love with the Capitals, good for you. Some of us like to root for other sucky teams along with the good ones, ya know?

Yup and they are all fan boys and annoying as hell. If you're so much in love with the Capitals, good for you. Some of us like to root for other sucky teams along with the good ones, ya know?

Hey buddy, why don't you look back in the Wiz game threads going back to the 2005 season. Every game, I was there chatting with fellow Wiz fans before you even joined this site. You'll see my name as the starter of half the game threads. Look at my sig, it's the Arenas buzzer beater from MLK Day a couple years back...I've been here, I went through the horrible season we had last year and I, despite not having CSN, have watched almost every game up here in Boston on the net. I'm in this thread now aren't I? I just went to a game during Thanksgiving break, I went to multiple playoff games when we last made it. I'm mad that we have a team that has plenty of talent but just isn't getting it done. So do not talk to me about liking the Wizards. I support them, it's just frustrating.

You are 26. I'm 43. I watched them win a championship, Newb. I define thick and thin and have earned the right to take a break from 30 year gut wrench.

you can do whatever you want....but you are still a fair weather fan....all I ask is that you don't come back acting like a die hard (and say some **** like "I've been a fan of this team for 30 years" when we finally get good)

I haven't gotten any championships....started following this team when I was 12 or 13 years old....so I don't want to hear about "the right to take a break"

I want to give him credit because he pretty much is the reason we were in it in the end, a hell of a 4th quarter, but it comes down to the BIG play and instead of wisely going for points or running the offense, we waste time and reaped what we sew.

Oh well. Long season.

Gil had a hell of a game; Evans made a great defensive play at the end...it happens.

as far as "wisely going for points and running the offense"

it is called an isolation play (that flip saunders called) and it made perfect sense....they Kings were unable to stop him on any of his previous drives to the basket in the 4th quarter. If you want to blame this lose on anyone...blame it on the horrible calls and non calls by the refs.

Caron and Jamison blew it. Why AJ took that shot, I don't know. Caron just sucked as usual.

If it wasn't for Jamison's scoring in the first half, we would have been down by 15 at the end of this game...so I wouldn't blame it on him.

Caron played pretty well in the second half and made that steal that gave us a chance at the end of the game.

My whole thing is, why are you playing for the final shot? You are down 1, so if you miss you gotta give yourself a chance to foul. That was a dumb play by Arenas waiting for so long to make his move. Trying to be the hero.

nah....he definitely did what flip told him to do....it is pretty standard to run an isolation play at the end of the game with your best player...give him the option to drive to the hoop and get fouled, or dish it at the last second for an open jumper.

You don't want to give the other team any time to hit a buzzer beater at the end (especially when they've outplayed you the whole game.

you cannot tell me standing around and wasting precious time when you're down one is not ill advised.

It is called an isolation play, which is what the coach called during the time out. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't want to give the opposing team any time to hit a last second shot. You are supposed to play for the final shot of the game.

Gil had a hell of a game; Evans made a great defensive play at the end...it happens.

it is called an isolation play (that flip saunders called) and it made perfect sense....they Kings were unable to stop him on any of his previous drives to the basket in the 4th quarter. If you want to blame this lose on anyone...blame it on the horrible calls and non calls by the refs.

If it wasn't for Jamison's scoring in the first half, we would have been down by 15 at the end of this game...so I wouldn't blame it on him.

Caron played pretty well in the second half and made that steal that gave us a chance at the end of the game.

nah....he definitely did what flip told him to do....it is pretty standard to run an isolation play at the end of the game with your best player...give him the option to drive to the hoop and get fouled, or dish it at the last second for an open jumper.

You don't want to give the other team any time to hit a buzzer beater at the end (especially when they've outplayed you the whole game.

It is called an isolation play, which is what the coach called during the time out. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't want to give the opposing team any time to hit a last second shot. You are supposed to play for the final shot of the game.

Hey buddy, why don't you look back in the Wiz game threads going back to the 2005 season. Every game, I was there chatting with fellow Wiz fans before you even joined this site. You'll see my name as the starter of half the game threads.

After watching baskbetball as religiously as you claim for the past 4 years, I'd expect you to know what an isolation play is, and know that Gil was playing for the last shot last night (which is definitely the correct thing to do...especially being that it was on the road)

you can do whatever you want....but you are still a fair weather fan....all I ask is that you don't come back acting like a die hard (and say some **** like "I've been a fan of this team for 30 years" when we finally get good)

You can do whatever you want. I have been a fan of this team for over 30 years and I'll come or go whenever I want. You don't decide these things for everyone else. Guess you'll just have to swallow that when you see me posting in here at will.

No, you have the option to. Now Spaceman actually brought up a good point in that since we cannot play D, the last shot was the best option but when you are down a point, the isolation is questionable. How many times have we seen isolation at the end of a game fail here in D.C? All too often with Eddie Jordan.

By the way, I know what an isolation play is, is that all you can say in your argument? The thing is, he ran it down to what, 4 seconds and hadn't even taken a step. So what if he drives and has it stolen, or he doesn't get the foul call he was banking on because it's at the end of a road game and the refs swallow the whistle? I agree with Spaceman's arguments. You take a risk either way and I'm in the boat of getting points. Obviously Flip was in the other boat.

Again, that's great that Jamison did all that but during that ONE possession that can decide a game he took a horrible, horribly rushed 3 that ended up killing us so he deserves some of the blame.

Archived