Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Wizards Thread - SUMMER LEAGUE IS ON

No Excuses

The only positive that came out of last night's loss is that Agent 0 is really starting to play like his old self. Really bad mental mistake there at the end though. This team is just like the Redskins. Butler has to go, the chemistry is all screwed up on this team. And I'm not really sure how it could be considering the main nucleus of this team has been together for years. Very, very frustrating. Thank God for the Capitals or I would be losing my mind with the Skins and Wizards.

You can do whatever you want. I have been a fan of this team for over 30 years and I'll come or go whenever I want. You don't decide these things for everyone else. Guess you'll just have to swallow that when you see me posting in here at will.

of course you can...but don't get but hurt when I call you a fair weather fan.

but when you are down a point, the isolation is questionable.

not questionable at all...it makes the most sense. I'd like to see the stat for this, but I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the time teams run isolation plays at the end of games, the player driving to the basket gets fouled. You also have a strong chance to get a 3 point play opportunity.

How many times have we seen isolation at the end of a game fail here in D.C? All too often with Eddie Jordan.

I remember it working more than not working. I'll give you this....so far this year Gil hasn't been successful running the isolation, but he was having a great game the other night, and you have to be able to count on your best player making a play at the end of the game. It was the right call, too bad the results weren't different.

By the way, I know what an isolation play is, is that all you can say in your argument?

well, you were making an argument of wasting "precious" time, rather than arguing the isolation play. Everyone knows you are supposed to waste ALL the time at the end of the game when running the isolation.

The thing is, he ran it down to what, 4 seconds and hadn't even taken a step. So what if he drives and has it stolen

you lose...and that is what happens. But you don't play not to lose, you play to win. A good team gets the bucket and wins the game.

I'm in the boat of getting points. Obviously Flip was in the other boat.
you are in the boat of taking an early shot....if you miss (and probably don't get the rebound because they had dominated the boards at the end of the 4th...you lose) If you make it and leave time on the clock...their red hot shooting offense more than likely hits a buzzer beater against our sub par offense.
Again, that's great that Jamison did all that but during that ONE possession that can decide a game he took a horrible, horribly rushed 3 that ended up killing us so he deserves some of the blame.

It was a pretty terrible choice in taking that three...I agree with that. But I also hate tearing down the two guys who kept us in that game. If I had to blame players on the team, I'd blame the bench guys for not stepping up their games.

Well, we now dropped two straight to the Clippers and Kings. If that doesn't show how low the team is, I don't know what to tell you. I was 9 years old in 1977 when the Bullets beat the Sonics. Then we went back the following year and lost in 5. Been all downhill since then. Years of trying to build with washed up veterans (Moses, B. King), terrible draft picks (K. Green over Karl Malone, Manute, Hot Plate, etc.), going through one big 3 (Strickland, Howard and Webber) and now with another big 3 has taken it's toll on us.

I knew even with the trade of Foye and Miller, this team was still not built to win. No inside presence on offense or defense, relying on perimeter shooting and lack of quality role players have doomed this team for the last 5 years. I agree that it's time to break up the big 3.

I'm also tired of people questioning the fandom of others. Just like the Redskins, I don't have to prove to anyone how loyal I am to my teams. When a team's last Championship was during the disco era and the team hasn't even been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in over 30 years, it can really test your mental toughness as a fan. Being an older guy who has had to endure the last 32 years of "Le Bullez," I can tell you it's alot tougher mentally on you than if you have been a fan of this team a lot less longer. Not saying that a 20 year old fan doesn't feel as bad as I do because they've never seen a championship, but I'm saying it has been more of a mental strain as a fan having watched this team since bellbottoms were still in fashion.

I will never leave my teams, but there's no harm in taking a mental break from them. I'll still scoreboard watch every night, I might watch them play Golden State tonight, but I can tell you they've sucked the fandom out of me for quite some time. Let's face it, everyone wants a winner and in today's society, there is no patience with fans. Nobody wants to be called a loser. We all identify with our teams and that makes it harder to remain loyal when the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs and Bulls fans can brag about winning multiple titles and actually know they will compete for titles every year.

I say, if you want to take a break, take a break. Alot of Caps fans took a break from 1999-2006. I mean, was the Capital Centre or the Phone booth ever full before Ovechkin? Alot of fairweather/bandwagon Caps fans now and that's no friggin lie. If the Zards ever start winning, they'll be a ton of new fans to hop on. I'm no judge on who's a fan or not. I was raised a Skins, O's, Bullets, Caps, Terps fan and I'll always be fans of those teams until I'm in a grave.

For some reason I am going to watch them play against the Warriors tonight. I don't have any friends anyway so I might as well stay home. Everytime the Wiz are on ESPN or TNT I feel compelled to watch them cuz I don't get to that often.

Gilbert will score 31 points....and turn the ball over 7 times.

For some reason I am going to watch them play against the Warriors tonight. I don't have any friends anyway so I might as well stay home. Everytime the Wiz are on ESPN or TNT I feel compelled to watch them cuz I don't get to that often.

Gilbert will score 31 points....and turn the ball over 7 times.

Yup I'm gonna be switching between the two games tonight.

Well, we are in a fairly good rhythm on offense. Defensively could be much better, I don't like how we gave up 3 offensive rebounds in a row at the end of the half there. Butler is shooting better than I've seen him all year, he's so much more on point when he just catches and shoots.

Finally.

Arenas was just out of this world. Aggressive going to the rim and some really nice moves. Good shot. I don't know if he will ever have the same type of explosiveness/speed, but even at 90% he is faster and has more skills than most guards. He is a very deceptive and smart player when it comes to body fakes.

Butler's effort was also tremendous. He was more aggressive than I've seen all year. Confident in his J. Hustled all out. Very good to see.

Nick Young makes me wanna punch the wall sometimes. He is not very smart with the dribble. Not sure if he will ever be the #1 draft pick that we hoped for. I know we can't afford to lose him, but I'd like to see Jamison get a couple games off. Both his shoulders are killing him, I want him to play without pain.

Well, we now dropped two straight to the Clippers and Kings. If that doesn't show how low the team is, I don't know what to tell you. I was 9 years old in 1977 when the Bullets beat the Sonics. Then we went back the following year and lost in 5. Been all downhill since then. Years of trying to build with washed up veterans (Moses, B. King), terrible draft picks (K. Green over Karl Malone, Manute, Hot Plate, etc.), going through one big 3 (Strickland, Howard and Webber) and now with another big 3 has taken it's toll on us.

I knew even with the trade of Foye and Miller, this team was still not built to win. No inside presence on offense or defense, relying on perimeter shooting and lack of quality role players have doomed this team for the last 5 years. I agree that it's time to break up the big 3.

I'm also tired of people questioning the fandom of others. Just like the Redskins, I don't have to prove to anyone how loyal I am to my teams. When a team's last Championship was during the disco era and the team hasn't even been out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in over 30 years, it can really test your mental toughness as a fan. Being an older guy who has had to endure the last 32 years of "Le Bullez," I can tell you it's alot tougher mentally on you than if you have been a fan of this team a lot less longer. Not saying that a 20 year old fan doesn't feel as bad as I do because they've never seen a championship, but I'm saying it has been more of a mental strain as a fan having watched this team since bellbottoms were still in fashion.

I will never leave my teams, but there's no harm in taking a mental break from them. I'll still scoreboard watch every night, I might watch them play Golden State tonight, but I can tell you they've sucked the fandom out of me for quite some time. Let's face it, everyone wants a winner and in today's society, there is no patience with fans. Nobody wants to be called a loser. We all identify with our teams and that makes it harder to remain loyal when the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs and Bulls fans can brag about winning multiple titles and actually know they will compete for titles every year.

I say, if you want to take a break, take a break. Alot of Caps fans took a break from 1999-2006. I mean, was the Capital Centre or the Phone booth ever full before Ovechkin? Alot of fairweather/bandwagon Caps fans now and that's no friggin lie. If the Zards ever start winning, they'll be a ton of new fans to hop on. I'm no judge on who's a fan or not. I was raised a Skins, O's, Bullets, Caps, Terps fan and I'll always be fans of those teams until I'm in a grave.

DC fans are the absolute worst in sports....fans like Cachie who try to make themselves out to be die hard fans, yet they "come and go" and then try to justify that the are huge fans because they have been fans for 30 years.

A fan of thirty years who comes and goes is not a bigger fan than someone who has been here the WHOLE time for the past 15.

I don't like fairweather fans...we seem to have lots of them.

the only reason I called him out is because he tried to play the "I've been a fan for 30 years" card

of course you can...but don't get but hurt when I call you a fair weather fan.

Not at all, Gator. Don't be hurt when we don't go far this season. It is what it is... Transition with injuries. It will prevent us from gelling for at least another 15 games.

Nice late effort last night but I am getting tired of sweating out the final five minutes, win or lose.

DC fans are the absolute worst in sports....fans like Cachie who try to make themselves out to be die hard fans, yet they "come and go" and then try to justify that the are huge fans because they have been fans for 30 years.

A fan of thirty years who comes and goes is not a bigger fan than someone who has been here the WHOLE time for the past 15.

I don't like fairweather fans...we seem to have lots of them.

the only reason I called him out is because he tried to play the "I've been a fan for 30 years" card

I didn't mean it to be a direct attack on you. I just wanted to let you know that some of us "older" guys have been on the suck bus for a long time. It gets pretty taxing when this team teases you with playoff appearances and nothing more. All my teams have tested my loyalty over the years. The Caps have been the only one to semi-reward me (still don't have a cup) with hope. I will remain loyal and hope one day to have a year like I had in 1982-83 when the Redskins won the SB, the Orioles won the WS and the Bullets and Caps were playoff teams. Just cut us old guys some slack, we've been at this a VERY long time with the Wizards. Oh and not to mention when the old fart owner takes away the teams name and replaces it with some fairy in a pointy hat, just to make a few bucks more, it jades you even more. They were the Bullets for a long time and when he held that stupid contest (And we all knew it was rigged because Polling came out and said he like Wizards) it made me want to punch him.

To be fair, the choices in that "contest" were just as awful as the name wizards. Here were the other options: Express, Stallions, Dragons, and Sea Dogs. The Washington Sea Dogs? Are you kidding me. Honestly it was a no win situation. Hopefully the new owner will return the original name and colors back to DC.

Trading Arenas would be the stupidest thing to do. Arenas is having a damn good season for someone who hasn't played in two years. He'll continue to get better and he is the only player on this team who has the potential of being a bonafide superstar.

We need to trade Jamison and give minutes to Blatche and McGee in hopes that one of them can develop in the big man we sorely need. Considering that Haywood will most likely bolt next year, I simply don't understand why McGee is not getting PT.

At this point, keeping both AJ and Brendan is quite pointless. A contender will surely trade for both (apparently Ernie has been getting a lot calls for Antawn). We are going no where with either of them but they have very good trade value. Mostly, trade Brendan while we can still get good value, trade Antawn to a contender in need (Cleveland, San Antonio etc.) and begin the rebuilding process (tanking in other words).

This team as currently constructed is going absolutely no where. There is simply no balance of offense/defense on the roster.

Archived