Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When do you think the "Deadskin" era began?

Gart Monk

If you really want to get technical, the seeds were planted when Bobby Beathard left in 1989. The Skins after that, while winning still were not stocking for the future anymore. There was no next wave of players coming up. After everything peaked in 1991, things began to fade the next year. Players were getting hurt, injuries riddled the team and we didn't have anyone to come in and step up. Instead of having a young Ed Simmons or Raleigh McKenzie or Mark Schlereth (all Beathard guys) come in when the oline got hurt like in years past, we had Mo Elewonibi.

Richie fell victim to the fact that Gibbs and Casserly left him an old team. Then Casserly was unable to really rebuild the team and then we got Danny.

So the seeds of the "DeadSkins" were planted in 1989 but it didn't bloom until 1993.

If you really want to get technical, the seeds were planted when Bobby Beathard left in 1989. The Skins after that, while winning still were not stocking for the future anymore. There was no next wave of players coming up. After everything peaked in 1991, things began to fade the next year. Players were getting hurt, injuries riddled the team and we didn't have anyone to come in and step up. Instead of having a young Ed Simmons or Raleigh McKenzie or Mark Schlereth (all Beathard guys) come in when the oline got hurt, we had Mo Elewonibi.

Richie fell victim to the fact that Gibbs and Casserly left him an old team. Then Casserly was unable to really rebuild the team and then we got Danny.

So the seeds of the "DeadSkins" were planted in 1989 but it didn't bloom until 1993.

Wow, I never looked at it that way but you're right. Bethards team won the super bowl in 1991. Excellent point

If you really want to get technical, the seeds were planted when Bobby Beathard left in 1989. The Skins after that, while winning still were not stocking for the future anymore. There was no next wave of players coming up. After everything peaked in 1991, things began to fade the next year. Players were getting hurt, injuries riddled the team and we didn't have anyone to come in and step up. Instead of having a young Ed Simmons or Raleigh McKenzie or Mark Schlereth (all Beathard guys) come in when the oline got hurt like in years past, we had Mo Elewonibi.

Very accurate. Beathard and Gibbs were one of, if not the best GM/HC combo in the entire league.....

for some reason I can't get Archie Bunker singing "dose were da days..." out of my head. :)

January 26th, 1992.

That was the last time the Redskins were really relevant.

Think about it, since the 1991 season the Redskins have had 0 seasons of 10 wins or more

Only 2- 10 win seasons (1999,1995)

3- 9 win seasons (1992, 1996, 2007)

4- 8 win seasons (1997, 2000, 2001, 2008)

So since 1992, we have had 9 seasons, out of 18, with 8 or more wins

Everything else has been losing, with some awful ones including 4-12 in 1993, 3-13 in 1994, 5-11 in 2002 and 2006, 6-10 in 1995 and 1998 and 2004 and 7-9 in 2002

I'd say the very beginning was drafting Desmond Howard at No. 4 overall in 1992. I won't lie, I was ecstatic. The Skins were Super Bowl champs, and they'd just drafted the Heisman winner from my beloved Michigan Wolverines. Looking back it was a questionable move, since the team already had three great wide receivers (albiet at the end of their careers) and the greatest kick/punt returner in the history of the league just entering his prime. How exactly was he supposed to make an impact?

The next year the Skins went 9-7, squeaking into the playoffs. After that came the ill-fated Petibone year and then the Norv era, with more draft busts like Shuler and Westbrook. It seems like we've been unable to make any true, lasting progress ever since.

It began for me Sept 1999.

Our Skins dammit up by 21 points in the 4th quarter over the Cowturds.

Skins had it then let it get away when Aikman threw that 76 yarder in overtime, I will never forget that #, to Raghid Ismael.

Never heard the end of it from those turd fans. They gave me absolute hell.

I was physically sick from that one. Never forgot it. :mad:

When Jack Kemp Cook died we all prayed that God would not give our beloved team to his son. God heard our prayers with a sense of humor. He said "OK redskins fans I will give the team to someone else". Does any one else see the irony in our prayers of 1998 being answered in this manner!

It began for me Sept 1999.

Our Skins dammit up by 21 points in the 4th quarter over the Cowturds.

Skins had it then let it get away when Aikman threw that 76 yarder in overtime, I will never forget that #, to Raghid Ismael.

Never heard the end of it from those turd fans. They gave me absolute hell.

I was physically sick from that one. Never forgot it. :mad:

Beat me to it. That game started the era.

January 26th, 1992.

Think about it, since the 1991 season the Redskins have had 0 seasons of 10 wins or more

Only 2- 10 win seasons (1999,1995)Don't you mean 2005?

Everything else has been losing, with some awful ones including 4-12 in 1993, 3-13 in 1994, 5-11 in 2002 and 2006, 6-10 in 1995 and 1998 and 2004 and 7-9 in 2002

January 26th, 1992.

Only 2- 10 win seasons (1999,1995)

^

This is correct.

:doh:

Granted, the Skins overall have been pretty mediocre since the last SB win.

But for the amount of time people spend busting on Norv, Snyder has now had eight plus seasons with his guys.

Dan, if Vinny is asking Zorn to give up playcalling, I'd like YOU to give up personnel decisions altogether. Sir, your organization is a joke.

Archived