Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate

China

The Collider, the Particle and a Theory About Fate

By DENNIS OVERBYE

Published: October 12, 2009

More than a year after an explosion of sparks, soot and frigid helium shut it down, the world’s biggest and most expensive physics experiment, known as the Large Hadron Collider, is poised to start up again. In December, if all goes well, protons will start smashing together in an underground racetrack outside Geneva in a search for forces and particles that reigned during the first trillionth of a second of the Big Bang.

Then it will be time to test one of the most bizarre and revolutionary theories in science. I’m not talking about extra dimensions of space-time, dark matter or even black holes that eat the Earth. No, I’m talking about the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

Holger Bech Nielsen, of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya of the Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics in Kyoto, Japan, put this idea forward in a series of papers with titles like “Test of Effect From Future in Large Hadron Collider: a Proposal” and “Search for Future Influence From LHC,” posted on the physics Web site arXiv.org in the last year and a half.

Click on the link for the full article

• 4 weeks later...
Bump.

What's is the deal with this thing, and what can we expect to find (or find but not expect?)? What is the Higgs Bosom God Particle?

Edit: BTW, the article that I perused earlier.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/11/lhc.large.hadron.collider.beam/index.html

If they can keep the thing running continuosly for a few years they might be able to figure out what the heck dark matter or dark energy is. They might even be able to prove the existene of parrallel universes. Imagine an exact replica of you doing the same thing right now, about 40 quadrilliion light years away. Its a plausible theory that a lot of physicists subscribe to.

Unfortunately, the thing is so damn complicated and has so many parts I'm afraid they might spend more time on repairs over the next 20 years than experiments. The last problem was caused by a hinge, 2/3 of an inch by 2/3 of an inch (in a machine 17 miles around). That basically shut down operations for 14 months. :doh:

What's is the deal with this thing, and what can we expect to find (or find but not expect?)? What is the Higgs Bosom God Particle?

Grossly oversimplified, at the moment, nobody really knows why objects have mass. The Higgs-Boson is one proposal that would explain this phenomenon, and scientists hope that the LHC will allow experiments that support it.

Grossly oversimplified, at the moment, nobody really knows why objects have mass. The Higgs-Boson is one proposal that would explain this phenomenon, and scientists hope that the LHC will allow experiments that support it.

So it's safe to say that there's no way to do justice to the question without using terms and principals that take years to learn and understand?

The Higgs-Boson is one proposal that would explain this phenomenon, and scientists hope that the LHC will allow experiments that support it.

Yeah ... in technical jargon, that theory would be described as "very sketchy".

That doesn't mean to say it's not correct.

If they can keep the thing running continuosly for a few years they might be able to figure out what the heck dark matter or dark energy is. They might even be able to prove the existene of parrallel universes. Imagine an exact replica of you doing the same thing right now, about 40 quadrilliion light years away. Its a plausible theory that a lot of physicists subscribe to.

So the replica would be me, or would it be a reflection of me?

I think my head just exploded.

I have no ****ing idea what they are talking about.

It's basically the quantum-level version of John Connor sending a Terminator from the future to prevent the construction of Skynet.

BTW, the Jefferson quote in your signature is not quite correct. Jefferson said "Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition."

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1320.htm

And this was a criticism of commerce and manufacturing rather than government per se.

So the replica would be me, or would it be a reflection of me?

I have no idea. Somebody posted an article on here about it. Needless to say I was in way over my head.

It has to do with whats beyond the ends of the universe. Some people think there are infinite versions of our universe. So if you make a decision to buy a cup of coffee, somewhere, there is another universe exactly like this one in every way, except that you decide not to buy that cup of coffee. And everything just keeps diverging from there, for infinity.

What's weird is there are mathmatical equations that predict how far away, in theory, the closest "you" would be. But no way to prove it.

i'm no physicist but this is what i heard: there is one school of thought that believes the creation of a higgs boson particle would in fact not merely suck the universe out of existence -- it would tumble backwards through time and prevent the universe from ever being created. so the fact that we are here now proves that they never get the damn thing working right.

i'm no physicist but this is what i heard: there is one school of thought that believes the creation of a higgs boson particle would in fact not merely suck the universe out of existence -- it would tumble backwards through time and prevent the universe from ever being created. so the fact that we are here now proves that they never get the damn thing working right.

There's a lot of data to support that assertion. ;)

Not only the fact that the LHC isn't operational, but its predecessor, the SuperConducting Super Collider (SSC) in Waxahachie Texas never even got completed.

Unless we're in one of those parallel universes, right? It could have been created in another one.

Archived