Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict who's going to get the Olympics

Predicto

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This will be the first time that I have ever posted a poll, so I'll probably botch it up.

Anyhow, I was wondering which City you think will get the Olympics. Myself, I think that Obama's appearance is not going to be enough, and the Olympics will be awarded to Rio (and they will be a disaster).

I also picked Rio.

Predicto, I'm curious, why do you think Rio would be a disaster?

I think that city barely functions as it is now. Crime is horrific, security would be very difficult, police are corrupt and uber-violent, the infrastructure is weak, pollution is horrible, the favelas are enormous. It was the lowest scored finalist city for a reason.

I don't see how all that can change in just a few years unless you are a totalitarian country like China, where you can just arrest everyone and bulldoze down entire neighborhoods.

i voted Rio... i think the biggest thing to overcome for them is the perception of having issues with athlete/fan saftey. There was a lot of talk about that as well as whether or not they can build all of th einfastructure needed for both the World Cup the year before and the Olympics (apparently there isnt as much overlap as you would have assumed).

Here is Chicago, this is all anyone is talking about right now. My gut is that all Rio needs to do is not give the IOC a reason NOT to put in in south america, you know that they want to "make history".

Rio. The U.S. has already had 4 Olympics since 1980. If not Rio, then give it to Tokyo.

Well, they pay attention to region more than country, Asia just had it (so Tokyo is likely out), europe has london and (kinda) russia coming up (so madrid is out).

That leaves Rio, which has never had it, and north america (chicago) that, as of the 2016 games, will have gone 20 years w/o games.

I picked Chicago.

I don't think the President would make this public a pitch if he weren't fairly confident it would succeed.

Also, the Vegas odds are strongly in Chicago's favor. Do they know something we don't?

Plus, Brazil would have already hosted a major event (the World Cup) just a few years before, so it makes little sense to give them two huge events so close together.

Chicago...Asia just had the summers and Europe before that, gotta come to the Americas and Rio is a disaster. Everyone going there would need K&R insurance, not a real selling feature.

I don't think the President would make this public a pitch if he weren't fairly confident it would succeed.

Agreed, although to hear Steele talk about Obama speaking to the OIC you'd think he didn't want the games to come to the states, idiots need to figure out that sometimes just because Obama says it doesn't mean its wrong.

As a Chicago native... i am not sure that i want it. The south loop area is already in trouble with HUGE volume of unsold condos and projects that are not even done. There is little chance that private developers will be interested in taking this on the building of the olympic village. This means the city (which just signed onto gaurentee they will pay any $$ that private doesnt cover), and thus the taxpayers on the hook for some serious funds.

I think that city barely functions as it is now. Crime is horrific, security would be very difficult, police are corrupt and uber-violent, the infrastructure is weak, pollution is horrible, the favelas are enormous. It was the lowest scored finalist city for a reason.

I don't see how all that can change in just a few years unless you are a totalitarian country like China, where you can just arrest everyone and bulldoze down entire neighborhoods.

I was in Rio for the Pan Am games and they had none of the problems that you mention. The Brazilian government engaged the favelas by getting them involved. Giving them tickets, jobs at venues, etc. The crime was non-existent. There was one US athlete that was robbed and that was it.

Curious of your assessment of "uber-violent" police. That is pretty significant and there were also no charges of that during Pan Am. I know there have been some pretty significant battles between the authorities and drug gangs in the favelas. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about violence against the general population?

I was in Rio for the Pan Am games and they had none of the problems that you mention. The Brazilian government engaged the favelas by getting them involved. Giving them tickets, jobs at venues, etc. The crime was non-existent. There was one US athlete that was robbed and that was it.

Curious of your assessment of "uber-violent" police. That is pretty significant and there were also no charges of that during Pan Am. I know there have been some pretty significant battles between the authorities and drug gangs in the favelas. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about violence against the general population?

Against the drug gangs, against homeless people, against pretty much anyone they choose. In one recent year, Rio police admitted that they killed 983 people, who knows what the real figure was.

Hundreds, possibly thousands of people are shot by police every year in Brazil, a BBC investigation has found.

The authorities say it is mainly criminals caught in military-style raids on drug gangs but according to a former senior official, new evidence suggests that many of the shootings are cold-blooded executions conducted by the police.

Former police ombudsman Professor Julita Lemgruber has told BBC World Service's Assignment programme that, in the state of Rio alone, the police killed 983 people last year. The figure is similar for Sao Paulo.

"The federal government should be challenging the various state governments in Brazil about the hundreds of people that the police kill in this country," she says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4463010.stm

That story was from 2005, but it appears that the situation has not changed much.

"Rio police accused of death squad killings"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/08/2619776.htm

"Anger rises after spate of Rio police killings"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1731368020080717

"UN criticises Rio police killings"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/nov/16/brazil.international

"Are Rio's police public enemy No. 1?"

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/226/story/22552.html

Olympics in Rio will be a pickpocket's dream. When I went there in 2004 I was told by my gf, who's Brazilian, not to wear or carry anything that's valuable or single me out as a tourist.

On my flight back I heard plenty of horror stories from other tourists.

There is a reason why most ATM in Rio closes at 9pm.

Archived