Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Capitals 09-10 Offseason Thread (Thread Closed; mods please lock)

Sticksboi05

I watched the last preseason game on the Caps website earlier today, whew, that was a close one. I can't wait til the season starts on Thurs. Wish I could go to the home season opener on Oct. 3. I'm very excited that Caps' season is just about here! I do plan on going to a few games this season, just haven't decided which ones yet. I know I need to decide soon since single tickets are selling out fast. LET"S GO CAPS!!

Thank god hockey season is almost here. It'll be great to watch a successful Washington franchise again.

I can't help but worry though, with the loss of Federov and Brashear. Who will be our enforcer? Who will be the veteran to help out the new guys? Perhaps Ovechkin fills the latter but what about the former.

Thank god hockey season is almost here. It'll be great to watch a successful Washington franchise again.

I can't help but worry though, with the loss of Federov and Brashear. Who will be our enforcer? Who will be the veteran to help out the new guys? Perhaps Ovechkin fills the latter but what about the former.

Knuble? Lol

Defense was a weakness last season, have we addressed that? Is Alzner part of the Caps roster yet? Alzner good.

I am soooo happy that the caps are starting up soon. I haven't followed the preseason at all so i'm out of the loop. How have they done in the past few games? Any new players that look promising? And how are Ovi, Green, Semen & Backstrom looking? Sorry didn't mean for this to sound like an interview.

:)

I support having this thread in Tailgate. Should be a good season, but I doubt we'll really know how much we have improved until we get to the playoffs. Could be Stanley Cup time for DC this year. It's coming soon. :)
:chestram:

Unfortunately no student rush and cheapest tix for $50 mean watching on TV :(

More money for playoffs though :)

I am soooo happy that the caps are starting up soon. I haven't followed the preseason at all so i'm out of the loop. How have they done in the past few games? Any new players that look promising? And how are Ovi, Green, Semen & Backstrom looking? Sorry didn't mean for this to sound like an interview.

:)

Team looks good. We're getting a lot of outside scoring. The studs will get theres. We could be real good this year.

We got a guy in Hershey named Branden Sugden. He played against the Rangers in that first preseason game and went toe-to-toe with Brashear twice. He took Brash down quickly in the first on, and it was a long, even match in the second fight, with Sugden getting the early upper hand as he pulled Brash's jersey over his head and landing some hard punches.

If we are ever in need of an enforcer, I'm sure we'll call on this guy.

As for Veterans, Knuble is quite experienced, as well as our returning, healthy captain, Chris Clark. There's also talk about Peter Forsberg being interested in playing for us.

edit: Forgot to add a fun tidbit about Sugden. He has a lifetime ban from the ECHL. :)

I'm so glad that hockey season is back!!! I've lived and endured with the Caps my whole life- jus like the SKins.

A major difference is that I was able to be there and experience them actually advancing to the second round last year versus NYR.

I was, like most of you, very upset the way we lost Game 7 last year. Esp against the Cowboys of the NHL. However, I know this team does not lack direction and passion.

I am still a little concerned about the defense but hopefully Alzer provides that reliable stay at home defense who clears out the crease, unlike the talented yet lapse-ridden Mike Green. Love what Green can bring but he frustates me so much sometimes for an All-Star caliber player.

I do think Knuble fills a serious need that we lacked. Kozlov was non existent for long stretches even tho he had talent. Knuble is a talented player who has good instincts and will provide hopefully 25 goals or so in ways we have lacked scoring (rebounds).

I am very excited to see the FURTHER improvement of Backstrom, who is developing into one of the best pure centers in the NHL. I loved how he was using his body in the playoffs. He lets the game come to him as a great center does. His vision is superb. Would like to see him use that wicked little wrister that he shows us sparingly.

All in all, VERY excited to see my Caps improve on a good year last year and rid me of that sour/sick taste I had in Game 7!!! No more playoff expecations, it's legit Cup contending time ladies and gents!! Hope Varly and Theo provide consistency cuz this team will be contenders yet again. Oh yeah,

OVECHKIN.......it's a Caps thread, name drop is necessary. No further explanation required

OVECHKIN.......it's a Caps thread, name drop is necessary. No further explanation required

As long as we're dropping names...

Laich!

Laing!

Bradley!

Steckel!

Leonhardt! (okay, maybe that one was was overkill)

Seriously, though, I love how hard those guys work out there. They may not have the most pure skill out there on the ice, but they work so hard out there when they are on the ice. Laing may have only been in for one game last year, but he showed he was still the guy we had as a reliable call up last year. I can only imagine what he would've done for us in the playoffs as a shot-blocker/grinder/penalty killer had he not injured his spleen in his only game with us.

Can't wait! Since Directv can't or won't show Versus, I'll have to head over to RFD on Thursday. I'll be Rocking the Red in section 105 come Saturday night though. :)

You probably have already done this - but make sure whatever bar you are heading to has Versus since the vast majority of all bars have DirecTV. I'll be heading over to my friends house to watch the game and hoping Comcast and/or the NHL realizes their mistake before the playoffs.

Archived