Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

15 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Saw these pants at Target yesterday.  I immediately had warm feelings of my childhood along with Redskins dominance.

I bought them immediately.

Still have mine, never to be retired, even if the fit is a bit tight now.  Good times :redskins-3908:

18 minutes ago, FunBunch7 said:

Does anyone know when the last time we won and everyone else in the division lost in the same weekend?  I could go back manually and figure it out but I know some fellow Redskin nerd has already done that... I'm dying to know!  Sure does not happen that often!!!!

HTTR

I don't know about that, but I do know our rival fans hated us winning.  The dark side of the force is strong with all of them.  I like it, very much.  Hail

http://was.247sports.com/ContentGallery/NFC-East-fans-melt-down-after-Redskins-win--107628476

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Voice of Reason Believe it or not, Kevin has actually cooled his jets on Kirk some of late.  Yes, he still loves him but he's been willing to be critical this season, which is a first for him.  I actually thought Cooley was the bigger Kirk supporter early on but he's stepped away from that ledge over the past year, along with the FO - imagine that.

I was listening to the Cooley Film Breakdown last week, and Kevin was trying absolutely everything he could to put all of the blame on the OL, receivers, play calling, etc.  He was acting as Kirk's agent.  In fact, I'm not sure Kirk or his agent could have come up with better defenses of his poor play than Kevin was trying to.

Some semblance of this conversation took place about 10 times:

Cooley: "That's a bad throw"

Kevin: "But the OL! And terrible play call! And can't run the ball! And the WRs! It's GOT to be somebody else's fault!"

Cooley: "No, it's a bad throw. It's on Kirk."

Kevin: (sulking)"Ok" http://www.sadtrombone.com

When Cooley gave Kirk a D grade, it almost sounded like Kevin was going to cry.

This morning, the way that Kevin was talking about Kirk's 3-3 on the final drive, you would have thought it was The Drive by Elway in the 1986 AFC Championship game, taking his team 99 yards, primarily on his arm, in the last 2 minutes.  I mean, that's how he was describing it.  Which is what prompted my comment from earlier.  On one of the 'Skins TD drives, he didn't throw the ball once.  On the final drive, he did pick up a critical third down and threw a TD pass.  Kudos.  But it wasn't Elway-esque.

The reason that it's SO odd is that Kevin has never said that Kirk is anything other than a top 10-15 QB in the league.  He never compares him to Brady/Rodgers/Brees, etc.  He acknowledges that he's good, not great. 

He's willing to criticize when it's the last possible option.  I understand defending the guy, because he still takes a lot of criticism that's undue.  But Kevin has gone full blown propaganda mode.  It's somewhat funny.  And somewhat sad.  When Kirk signs elsewhere this off-season (I'm putting money on Jacksonville), I think Kevin is going to move there to continue covering him.  

• Haha 1

Good luck to @Koolblue13 and everyone else in the path of Maria, which is 1 of the 10 strongest Atlantic storms ever recorded... with a very rapid intensity spike up to Cat5.  USVI is in the dreaded right front quadrant and will likely get clipped by the eye. San Juan Puerto Rico is set to take the direct full eye shortly after landfall. Hopefully it rapidly loses strength at landfall.

maria-goes16-intensify.gif&key=d04903bd4

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Sad 4

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really thought I would sign in this afternoon and see a thread with 39 pages (already) on the reaction to Griffin's twitter meltdown last night.  And I don't.  So either the fan base has tuned him out completely, or I'm blind.  

Thank goodness for that.  That period was frustrating & exhausting.  Elated we have moved on as a fan base.

• Like 1

I really hate to say it, but I've started to chill here less often.

The football talk can really scratch the itch, but all the crying and woe-is-me-we'll-always-suck stuff is tiring.  

I choose to cheer the team positively.  And that doesn't seem to represent the prevailing modus operandi around here.  Which is unfortunate, because I think this will be a really exciting season.  And listen, I'm not lookin' to pick a fight; it's more of a need to express my regret.  And truthfully I'm trying to get this blog off the ground, so that eats up the lions share of my free time.

Hopefully I'm wrong in my view on ES.  Just understand that the gloom in excess (when it's all right there for The Team yet) chases some folks away.

(please forgive, I'm done)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Burgold "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." - Charles Dickens.  Bet that's the first time anybody has quoted Dickens on this here message board. BOOOM.  

1 minute ago, Diehard Otis said:

I really hate to say it, but I've started to chill here less often.

The football talk can really scratch the itch, but all the crying and woe-is-me-we'll-always-suck stuff is tiring.  

I choose to cheer the team positively.  And that doesn't seem to represent the prevailing modus operandi around here.  Which is unfortunate, because I think this will be a really exciting season.  And listen, I'm not lookin' to pick a fight; it's more of a need to express my regret.  And truthfully I'm trying to get this blog off the ground, so that eats up the lions share of my free time.

Hopefully I'm wrong in my view on ES.  Just understand that the gloom in excess (when it's all right there for The Team yet) chases some folks away.

(please forgive, I'm done)

Shared misery is how we survive. :P 

Honestly, it's been a tough off-season to handle in general.  The KCCB (Kirk Cousins Contract Debacle), the GMSM debacle, letting the 2 best WRs since 1991 go at the same time, and then a really crappy week 1 loss to the Eagles, yeah, it's been tough to find a lot of positives.

I also think that maybe a lot of folks are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, so they refuse to get expectations up.

But, a few more wins, and that will start to change.  Now, I personally think those few more wins will take the rest of the season.  But I hope I'm wrong.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Burgold "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." - Charles Dickens.  Bet that's the first time anybody has quoted Dickens on this here message board. BOOOM.  

Shared misery is how we survive. :P 

Honestly, it's been a tough off-season to handle in general.  The KCCB (Kirk Cousins Contract Debacle), the GMSM debacle, letting the 2 best WRs since 1991 go at the same time, and then a really crappy week 1 loss to the Eagles, yeah, it's been tough to find a lot of positives.

I also think that maybe a lot of folks are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, so they refuse to get expectations up.

But, a few more wins, and that will start to change.  Now, I personally think those few more wins will take the rest of the season.  But I hope I'm wrong.  

Look, I respect the diversity of opinion on any given matter (Hell, I'm certainly not arrogant enough to think that I'm always right).

But I've seen people mercilessly attacked here for believing in The Team.  I've also watched as some seemed to delight in calling people "homers" or "kool aid drinkers", like it was a 4-letter insult.

And I'm ALL OF THAT!  I wear my crown of McDonalds to-go cups proudly :)  But is there any room for the sunny-side up egg here?  

I wonder...

• Like 2

@Diehard OtisI have been thinking of classes of ESers.

I think there is the chess player who loves the X's and O's

There is the Gladiator who loves the big hits, speed, and power

There is the soap opera fanatic who just loves all the drama

I suspect most of us are a mix. I have to admit I got a bit sucked into the soap opera of the Su'a Cravens story. I never really got that much intot the Cousins contract and Scott vs Bruce vs Kirk love triangle. Normally, I'm a rah, rah Xs and Os fan. I'm there for  the team and I dig the strategy, but every so often the story sucks me in. Mind you, I prefer the underdog made good soap opera subplot to the damsel being tied to the railroad tracks ones.

If we can somehow become a winning or at least improving team... I think you'll find people find the soap opera less titillating and there will be more game talk.

--------------------------------------

I also weary of the cynical "realists" who  ain't realistic at all... just endlessly negative and hostile.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I suspect most of us are a mix. I have to admit I got a bit sucked into the soap opera of the Su'a Cravens story. I never really got that much intot the Cousins contract and Scott vs Bruce vs Kirk love triangle. Normally, I'm a rah, rah Xs and Os fan. I'm there for  the team and I dig the strategy, but every so often the story sucks me in. Mind you, I prefer the underdog made good soap opera subplot to the damsel being tied to the railroad tracks ones.

If we can somehow become a winning or at least improving team... I think you'll find people find the soap opera less titillating and there will be more game talk.

Burgold, I have lurked long enough to know that you are one of the elder statesmen here (I say this in tones of respect), and I deeply appreciate your wise, even keel.  You are among that group of posters that I look to in order to find opinion on any new Skins developments.

This post nails it!  I fancy myself something of an X's & O's guy - but with actual experienced coaches discussing specific aspects of our 5 base Blocking Schemes in a 2nd & Short Formation (damn!), I have learned to keep my ignorant mouth shut.

I enjoy the straight football talk - but more along the lines of 'this is how I think we Win this week's matchup' sorta thing.  And all things in-between.

This Diehard does not enjoy the hair-pulling TMZ stuff.  Nor do I play armchair GM on the internet, or in real life.  I'm just a mindless Diehard who loves his Skins & cheers them coarsely on Gamedays.  

But there are times when I feel like the unwanted guest.  That I can handle (shoot, I've crashed a few parties in a different life).  What I cannot handle is seeing Skins fans scared of the next week's Opponent: regardless of who it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I suspect most of us are a mix....

I also weary of the cynical "realists" who  ain't realistic at all... just endlessly negative and hostile.

Very similar to William Sheldon's body type theory; Ecromorphic, Endomorphic, and Mesomorphic.  No one is truly one specific type, but a mix of traits. That just hit a cord in me. Probably very true in a psychology & social sense. I like it.  *BTW Sheldon's theory is very flawed, but a great comparison to "Burgold's theory"! :)*

http://study.com/academy/lesson/william-sheldons-body-type-theory.html

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

But there are times when I feel like the unwanted guest.  That I can handle (shoot, I've crashed a few parties in a different life).  What I cannot handle is seeing Skins fans scared of the next week's Opponent: regardless of who it is.

Thanks. I've enjoyed your posts too. What gets me are the guys who say and proclaim loudly that the 'skins have NO chance against X team. I mean where's the fun in that. 

We all know who the tougher teams are, but the fun of sports is the upset, the chance that the little guy knocks out the big guy, and the chance that your team might become the big guy. Defeatism is what I detest most on this board and in general really. Keep scrapping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:29 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

He's willing to criticize when it's the last possible option.  I understand defending the guy, because he still takes a lot of criticism that's undue.  But Kevin has gone full blown propaganda mode.  It's somewhat funny.  And somewhat sad.  When Kirk signs elsewhere this off-season (I'm putting money on Jacksonville), I think Kevin is going to move there to continue covering him.  

A little change of pace this morning.  I only got to hear a piece of it as I had to head into the office.  Kevin painfully suggested that Cooley is turning on Kirk, saying that Cooley had Kirk in his top 8 overall earlier this summer, and now he's getting away from that.  Kevin basically said if Kirk ends up what you're saying he's been, then we're in for an awful season.  It sounded like it hurt him to say it, but they were talking about it this morning.  Even K&C appear to be at least questioning whether or not to jump off the Kirk train.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A little change of pace this morning.  I only got to hear a piece of it as I had to head into the office.  Kevin painfully suggested that Cooley is turning on Kirk, saying that Cooley had Kirk in his top 8 overall earlier this summer, and now he's getting away from that.  Kevin basically said if Kirk ends up what you're saying he's been, then we're in for an awful season.  It sounded like it hurt him to say it, but they were talking about it this morning.  Even K&C appear to be at least questioning whether or not to jump off the Kirk train.

Yeah, I was listening.  Kevin still thinks Kirk is a 10-15 QB, thinks he can snap himself out of it.  But, it sounds like he's starting to have doubts.  I found it somewhat amusing that Cooley actually told Kevin that he was the biggest Kirk supporter in the media in the area.  

Cooley also doesn't know if this level of play is a trend, but if it continues for 2 more games, it will be a trend.  To which I say, "duh, that's kindof a content-less statement."

Another of Kevin's points is that Kirk is just counting the minutes until he can leave.  Which might be true, but I don't believe that he's sucking because he's not prepared or not putting in the effort.  

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Another of Kevin's points is that Kirk is just counting the minutes until he can leave.  Which might be true, but I don't believe that he's sucking because he's not prepared or not putting in the effort.  

Right, I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but Kirk has been gunshy and I can't help but believe even if it's subconscious, that not being locked up long term plays a role here.

I don't think he's playing like crap because he doesn't care, in fact - I think it's the other way around.  Kirk's emotion after the TD to grant looked more like relief than it did joy, but maybe that's just me projecting.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right, I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but Kirk has been gunshy and I can't help but believe even if it's subconscious, that not being locked up long term plays a role here.

I don't think he's playing like crap because he doesn't care, in fact - I think it's the other way around.  Kirk's emotion after the TD to grant looked more like relief than it did joy, but maybe that's just me projecting.

This is probably for anther thread, but I think the loss of McVay (who's been the guy in his ear the last 2 years), no QB coach to lean on and get between him and the OC/HC (he had Cavanaugh in that role the last 2 years, now Cavanaugh is the OC), losing his top 2 WRs from the last 2 years, having to adjust to new outside talent (one of which is constantly hurt, another lacks talent, and the third has been playing WR for 5 minutes), lack of a long term contract, having a new baby, the constant criticism that he can't win the big game AND will choke at the worst moment, and general expectations that he's going to put up numbers similar to the last 2 years are probably crushing him  It's a lot of change for somebody who doesn't like change, according to what I've read.

He's probably pressing a bit, unsure of himself, and terrified to make a mistake.  Which leads to poopy play.  

• Like 1

My gut tells me a guy on a one year with a career payday pending the next year, priority 1 is self preservation mode. Of course in the modern game, QBs may even be asked to do that. #NoodleArmBackup.  Live for another day play. The days of a QB taking a monster hit to follow through to complete a pass have long passed. We are likely to see it thrown off the back foot and to turn away.

I do think there is something to be said about the presumed greater peace of mind for a high paid QB on a long term contract, WRT the complex workings of the inner mind.  Of course, that is when the salary cap issues kicks in, the supporting cast drops, and the pressure increases on the QB. It is an almost inescapable cycle of the modern day successful QB.

Random Thoughts watching a bit of the Rams/49ers game, 2 of which are directly Skins related:

1. It's the Former Redskins OC Bowl!  And second time in less than a week McVay was going up against a guy he worked for.  Looks like he's going to be 1-1.  The 49ers are TRRBLE.

2.If Cousins leaves the Skins after this season, I think odds are he ends up in Buffalo or Jax.  Based on the first 3 weeks, unless things go completely south on them, the Rams will give Goff at least another year.  He looks competent, and they traded a bunch of picks to get him.  There's no reason to bail yet.  And the 49ers are going to probably have a top 2 or 3 pick, and will select the best QB in the draft available to them.  It's the fiscally prudent thing to do, and there's going to be a guy Kyle thinks he can mold into a solid QB.  Jets will be in the same position.  Buffalo will probably give up on Taylor, and Jax on Bordles, but both will win enough games to not be in top draft position. Arizona is a wildcard.  They could be in the market for a QB and also be outside the top of the draft.  They're also going to probably have a new coach. 

3. (Not really Skins relates) those Rams unis are God awful. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

The Rams scoring 41 points against the SF defense (which has some talent) does reflect well on the strength of the Redskin defense that held the Rams to 20 points..  Now, the SF offense has scored 26 points against the Ram defense .  What does that say about our offense?  Do we put Cousins and Hoyer on equal footing?  Hmmm.  I'm not sure I like where this is headed...

• Like 1