Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Can't believe people still get so worked up over preseason football

I don't think it's about preseason football.  I think it's about the team looking unprepared to play a real game, against a backup QB who sucks.  

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Wait, what?....What do I have 87 of? lol...

You have "won" 87 days.  Days where you get the most "likes" of any poster on ExtremeSkins.  I'm not sure that I've seen anybody higher than you.  So not only do you lead the board in "lol" but also in witty comments. 

I don't know who informed me of this board feature, somebody was running around (jokingly) asking for likes to win a day a few months ago.  I thought it would be a good distraction from the mediocrity that was put forth by the team yesterday.  

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You have "won" 87 days.  Days where you get the most "likes" of any poster on ExtremeSkins.  I'm not sure that I've seen anybody higher than you.  So not only do you lead the board in "lol" but also in witty comments.  

Ya know, that might be a good enough reason to offer a prize. Like the old Clown avatar. Lemme see if @Jumbo & @zoony ever got that black leather suit to the cleaners after they were done with it...

• Like 1

Accidentally stumbled upon the Redskins bar in downtown Harrisburg, PA the other night while on business. Glad to know I can suffer with company this season. That's also going to come in handy since apparently the Redskins Radio Network doesn't go into Pennsylvania. 

Edited by thebluefood

And now for your kool-aid-drinking-unreasonably-optimistic moment:

The benefit of that no-show in the landfill known as Baltimore is motivation.  What I mean is that this humbling Preseason flop should not only motivate The Players, but most importantly it should motivate The Coaches.

Yes, I know they should have been motivated already.  But there are times when a good ass whuppin' achieves the best results going forward for all parties concerned.  

I personally believe that this will be one of those times.  Skins'll be alright.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

And now for your kool-aid-drinking-unreasonably-optimistic moment:

The benefit of that no-show in the landfill known as Baltimore is motivation.  What I mean is that this humbling Preseason flop should not only motivate The Players, but most importantly it should motivate The Coaches.

Yes, I know they should have been motivated already.  But there are times when a good ass whuppin' achieves the best results going forward for all parties concerned.  

I personally believe that this will be one of those times.  Skins'll be alright.

Be nice to Baltimore.  I hate the ravens but the town is great and people are good.  I do a lot of business up that way. 

And, if it takes an ass kicking to motivate you, that's a problem. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Be nice to Baltimore.  I hate the ravens but the town is great and people are good.  I do a lot of business up that way. 

And, if it takes an ass kicking to motivate you, that's a problem. 

Be nice to Baltimore?  Maaan, that's against the rules!

And yes, sometimes it does take an ass kicking to motivate you.  Such is life.

• Like 1

So I am sitting here thinking about the possibility of a vicious never-ending cycle that could possibly happen..or should I say continue to happen.

I guess these are just my thoughts and opinions, but I can't help wonder if Gruden doesn't have a successful year this year and or neither does cousins I mean like if Gruden only has a Four game win season let's just say.. I would imagine everything would start deteriorating...Gruden wins only 3-4 games,and cousins doesn't play good..I can see Gruden gone and cousins gone as well,which I imagine alot of folks would agree.

But then you start wondering about the interior players I know reed just signed a contract as well as Trent Williams but you would figure they would be the next players(cousins) wanting to be out,especially if Gruden is gone and the whole new system is brought in t Williams wants to win a Superbowl ring like any and every other player that joins the NFL correct me if I'm wrong...so he won't want to stick around than you have Scherff who will be in a contract year and sees the way things are done and he wants out..dear god bless us with stability for the first time in a long time...soooooo I guess all we gotta do is win and things will work them selves out right?

I kinda like that the next preseason game isn't until Saturday.  Spread out game 1 and 2.  Then there is an 8 day break between games 2 and 3, also good.

That means that there's only a 4 day turnaround between games 3 and 4, but the 4th preseason game is so meaningless, and they have extended rosters this year, that it shouldn't make too much of a difference.  

Now we just need to get our legion of hammy-pulls back for the 3rd preseason game.  That's as close s you get to a real dress rehearsal.

This might be a petty point, but I'm so tired of slow starts under Gruden with no changes to the preseason.  He hasn't won an opener yet. 

Time to change something up a little bit.  

• Like 1

I know coaches like to keep their secret plays for later in the year, but what about using them early in the year. Try and get a week 1 win using the stuff Jay is planning on using later, to get a win. 

Onsides week 1, fake punt, flea flicker, double reverse whatever it is... if you go a bit crazy in week 1, I am convinced teams look for those things for several of the upcoming games. Which if you have no intention of doing them again anytime soon, can give a little advantage. Teams will be thinking flea flicker on every FB dive :headbang:

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I know coaches like to keep their secret plays for later in the year, but what about using them early in the year. Try and get a week 1 win using the stuff Jay is planning on using later, to get a win. 

Onsides week 1, fake punt, flea flicker, double reverse whatever it is... if you go a bit crazy in week 1, I am convinced teams look for those things for several of the upcoming games. Which if you have no intention of doing them again anytime soon, can give a little advantage. Teams will be thinking flea flicker on every FB dive :headbang:

I personally think the whole "show nothing" thing is a complete joke.  The only difference between regular and pre-season is that you have a game-plan for the regular season where you study film and try and come up with plays, based on your system and install, that exploit the defenses weaknesses.  In pre-season, you don't bother trying to exploit anything, you just go out there and call a sluggo and see what happens.  

When coaches say they keep it very vanilla, sure, whatever.  Peyton Manning threw the same play about 1 million times.  He had 2 shallow in's to the right side, a slant behind it, and a comeback to the right.  The back would chip then release into the route on a wheel to the right, most often.  They ran that play in pre-season, regular season, playoffs and superbowl.  And Peyton would read it out and hit the open guy, and they'd move on with life.  That's as vanilla as it gets.  

You don't have to have super-complicated stuff to win.  It's a matter of doing what you do well, reading it out, and calling the things that pressure a defense.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I personally think the whole "show nothing" thing is a complete joke.  

I think Gibbs 1 was famous for it, at least among skins fans, where it was imprinted into our genetic code that it was best "to not show anything". But they knew what Joe wanted to do. Shhh we can't let anyone know we are going to run counter trey all year.

To me it comes down to those handful of special plays, let's call it trickery, that it may be dumb to save for late in the season. I have always wanted them used early, instead. We are only going to show it once, so there is little benefit in waiting. And again I contend, showing them early can shape what defenses look for in coming games. They ran a flea in week 1, safeties be on the lookout for it again.  And watch out for the reverse from inside the 5  :ols:.

On an unrelated note, Jim Zorn is the only coach dumb enough to run a trick play 2 times in a row.  #SwingingGate

Edited by RandyHolt

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think Gibbs 1 was famous for it, at least among skins fans, where it was imprinted into our genetic code that it was best "to not show anything". But they knew what Joe wanted to do. Shhh we can't let anyone know we are going to run counter trey all year.

To me it comes down to those handful of special plays, let's call it trickery, that it may be dumb to save for late in the season. I have always wanted them used early, instead. We are only going to show it once, so there is little benefit in waiting. And again I contend, showing them early can shape what defenses look for in coming games. They ran a flea in week 1, safeties be on the lookout for it again.  And watch out for the reverse from inside the 5  :ols:.

On an unrelated note, Jim Zorn is the only coach dumb enough to run a trick play 2 times in a row.  #SwingingGate

I agree with all of this.  I say, if you got 'em, smoke 'em.  Hell, if you run a reverse (an actual reverse, where the ball changes hands twice (minus exchange from center), early in the season, any end-arounds (where the ball changes hands once) will be more effective because the backside defender knows he has to stay home.

(Pet Peeve: If the QB take the ball, hands to a receiver, and he runs outside and up the sidelines, that is an END AROUND. Not a REVERSE.  A REVERSE is when a QB hands to a receivers, who runs towards the sidelines, and then hands it AGAIN to another player (reciever or RB) going the opposite direction. THAT is a REVERSE.  

In the extraordinary instance that the second player hands it to a third player, that is a DOUBLE REVERSE.  Live it.  Learn it.  Love it.  That is all. 

• Like 1

I love the double reverse! IIRC, it was one of Norv's plays he would run, more than others.

Later in the year, a coach can instead steal the best plays he has seen across the copy cat league, if he needs something unexpected to call. 

Learn it, know it, live it  #FastTimes #NeedPoolScene

JR12.jpg

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Don't remind me #SwingingGate.  I was at that game.  Saw it coming from a mile away.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SkinsFanMania said:

Don't remind me #SwingingGate.  I was at that game.  Saw it coming from a mile away.

I was at a sports book at Vegas.  I saw it the first time and yelled "WHAT IS THAT?"  

Then when I saw it the second time, I yelled "YOU ****ING IDIOT!"  Like, yelled loud enough to drown out the laughter and have everybody look at me.  

The bartender (cute, blonde, taken) gave me free drinks for the rest of the night because I looked sad.  

All in all, I won the night, I guess.  Even though I went back to my room, drunk, alone, and pissed off.  At least it was free drunk, while chatting with a blonde cutie...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SkinsFanMania said:

One of our many pains over the years. IIRC we took a delay of game, already lined up showing the play. And then ran the same play, and we may have even have called a timeout in between  I think our punter threw the pass, and he got absolutely crushed. I think our LS was facing a 3 man rush.  We couldn't just scrap it and throw a hail mary like a normal team. And it was only halftime lol

Ok lets go to the video tape

Edited by RandyHolt