Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo vs Lawrence Taylor

BIGOLEBOB

Let's take it easy on Orakpo.

Comparing him to LT?

LT came into the league as a dominant force out of N. Carolina. His last year, he had 16 sacks and was all-everything. He was the 2nd pick overall in his draft and continued his dominant force in the NFL. He revolutionized the game, and that was obvious even when he was in college.

Orakpo is a promising prospect. But, remember, he was the 5th Defensive front 7 player taken; if we were looking at a LT caliber player, he would not have lasted to 13th overall.

I like Orakpo a lot. (I think he can be what we hoped LaVar would be long term). But the kid is just a rookie, and he is learning a new position. We need to tap the breaks here. If you get up your expectations of him, he is bound to fail. If you want him to be the next LT--or even the next Ware--you are setting this kid up for failure.

Just enjoy his development and his play. Quit trying to make him the "next" something to beat your chest about. He'll be good--maybe even great. But give him the opportunity to get there before you rush off to fetishize him.

I just wish some of you would take the time to allow your brain to digest information before you react instead of respond. whew!

I have read every post here and nowhere including my original post have I heard anyone say Orakpo is expected to be Lawrence Taylor or achieve the same results.

In your original post you stat off with the following line:

"for those of you who are waiting to see if this guy is the next LT then here is the benchmark for rookie linebackers"

Now its true you don't state you expect Orakpo to be the next LT - which is a good thing as I expect him to play mainly DE not LB in his NFL career. But when you talk about a benchmark 'for those waiting to see if this guy is the next LT" I think you should understand when folks start jumping down your throat about comparing Orakpo with LT.

Taylor made his NFL exhibition debut on August 8, 1981, recording 2 sacks in the Giants 23–7 win over the Chicago Bears.

for those of you who are waiting to see if this guy is the next LT then here is the benchmark for rookie linebackers in their first preseason game. whether you are following Orakpo or Jarmon that opening statement by Taylor in 1981 gave everybody a clue to what was coming. so don't think that preseaons games, or "exhibition games" don't mean anything to some people. because sometimes those games are telltale signs of what can happen in a career.

Just sayin'.

Way too early to even be mentioning these guys in the same sentence.

I like Orakpo as much as anyone else but I don't think anyone here expects anything remotely close to Lawrence Taylor, probably the best linebacker ever.

Has anyone comped him to LT? Jeez, talk about lofty...

Seriously. I have high hopes for Orakpo, but until he does some pretty remarkable things over time in the regular season and playoffs, he doesn't deserve to get compared to Pro Bowlers, much less to an all-time great like LT.

I have read every post here and nowhere including my original post have I heard anyone say Orakpo is expected to be Lawrence Taylor or achieve the same results.

Where did you receive the information that anyone has ANNOINTED Orakpo as the next LT? I certainly didn't.

I got that from you when you typed in the first post "for those of you who are waiting to see if this guy is the next LT". That sounds like a direct comparison to me. If you are going to start threads with titles like Orakpo vs Lawrence Taylor people are going to take you to task.

Someone says that every year, but preseason means something. If our team plays like garbage, we're probably going to be garbage. If our team plays awesome, we're probably going to be awesome. There are exceptions to the rule, but you get a pretty good idea what's ahead from preseason.

I don't disagree with you completely, but don't forget the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason last year. The Skins were 1-3 and completely incompetent the preseason before their last Super Bowl title. So you can't take too much stock in what you see.

Someone says that every year, but preseason means something. If our team plays like garbage, we're probably going to be garbage. If our team plays awesome, we're probably going to be awesome. There are exceptions to the rule, but you get a pretty good idea what's ahead from preseason.

lol, you new to the game? Welcome. Actually, Blache might turn the guy loose a bit more in preseaon than show his role in a system, so

Orakpo might have some plays. But I don't know even what position he will be coming from yet, and comparing him to LT is like comparing D. Brooks to R. Guy. lol. A little early.

I got that from you when you typed in the first post "for those of you who are waiting to see if this guy is the next LT". That sounds like a direct comparison to me. If you are going to start threads with titles like Orakpo vs Lawrence Taylor people are going to take you to task.

I know, that's what i was thinking:doh:

I get what the OP was saying regarding benchmarks, but I guarantee LT wasn't the only rookie LB to get 2 sacks in his preseason debut. Didn't our own Jackson get 2 in his first preseason game last year? Anyway, LT played in a predominantly 3-4 and BO plays in a 4-3. Different positions in different defenses. You can compart Derrick Thomas to LT since they both played the same position in the same type of defense.

Archived