Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Orakpo vs Lawrence Taylor

BIGOLEBOB

Remember Osaka, ****es.

Motto of the preseason.

Someone says that every year, but preseason means something. If our team plays like garbage, we're probably going to be garbage. If our team plays awesome, we're probably going to be awesome. There are exceptions to the rule, but you get a pretty good idea what's ahead from preseason.

It amazes me how some people can actually have these thoughts, how can any reasonable sane mature person even think that a person can simply play a position they never have played before and then be a LT? I mean when LaVar came here these same threads were created how LA will be the next LT. Let's face it there will NEVER be another LT, there will NEVER be another Sean Taylor, and there will NEVER be another Barry Sanders. I mean come on people being excited is one thing, why not simply hope that Orakpo is good but to think he is the next coming of LT? That is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

Someone says that every year, but preseason means something. If our team plays like garbage, we're probably going to be garbage. If our team plays awesome, we're probably going to be awesome. There are exceptions to the rule, but you get a pretty good idea what's ahead from preseason.

Could not disagree more.

You can maybe get a feel for certain players and how they may go but there is so much chopping and changing and basic gameplans that its hard to get a feel for how the TEAM will play. IMO the preseason record is irrelevant and has no bearing on how well we may or may not do when the game start to count.

How about we don't mention a rookie LB vs LT before he plays a single down in NFL. LT is the best there ever was at the position and I highly doubt that'll change anytime soon.

How about we stop talking about the Ravens game before it even starts?

how about we stop talking about Haynesworth since he is not playing in preseason games?

How about we stop talking about who the redskins will draft next year before they even declare for the draft?

How about lets not talk about paying next months bills before you have even earned the money or gotten your next pay check?

how about you stop talking about the swine flu before you get it? Why give people shots before they even have it?

How about you don't mention ANYTHING until it has already happened? Yea thats a great idea.

Let's see the kid play before we go annointing him the next LT.

:doh:

I just wish some of you would take the time to allow your brain to digest information before you react instead of respond. whew!

I have read every post here and nowhere including my original post have I heard anyone say Orakpo is expected to be Lawrence Taylor or achieve the same results.

Where did you receive the information that anyone has ANNOINTED Orakpo as the next LT? I certainly didn't.

Let me break this down for those of you who can only react to posts and do not take the time to respond. The thread is specifically begins by stating a benchmark for all linebackers. That would be Lawrence Taylor. Benchmark is the highest standard, everything below that is less than that.

Its how we compare rookie basketball players. Rookie baseball players. Its how all business compare all employees. They set up standards and rules in theory and then hire someone based on the assumption they can perform those tasks. Some of you obviously do not hold jobs, because those "theory" rules are just that. However, there must always be a benchmark or something to strive for.

Nowwhere in here have I said or anyone for that matter, said that Orakpo must have 100 sacks in his career or have I asserted that Orakpo is the next L.T. however there is a benchmark that is good to strive for.

Do you think it would be better to set the benchmark for all linebackers as Kary Campbell? "Hey, strive to just play special teams and get in the game once in a while". If I had started a thread saying Orakpo vs Kary Campbell most of you would say "how can you compare Orakpo to a guy who isn't even on the team" or "how can you compare Orakpo to a guy who can't even start". So when the benchmark is the best linebacker of all time, then you go in the opposite direction.

Can some of you get off the complainer bus? Its like you want to complain about anything that is posted. If I start a thread that says "WATER IS GOOD" one of you will post the news story where a woman died from drinking too much water. Can ya ever give the complaining and negative attitude a rest? Is that possible or am I asking too much? Some of you are 22 year old kids and at that age I understand you just wanna be a smart***** because you think its kool. Others just want to be right all the time so you want everybody to think like you. But most of us are just posting ideas and thoughts and commenting on them and we get tired of reading all the negativity and backbiting. Can't ya just give the negativity a rest and enjoy the fact that there is a great athlete playing the linebacker spot tonight. If you want to compare him to L.T. or Derrick Thomas or Kary Campbell go ahead. I am not one of those but I at least want to know what stats some of the greats have had so I have an idea where our player may be heading.

have a great day!

What they are trying to say Bigolebob is that regardless of what Orakpo does tonight, be it 40 sacks or no sacks, you still can't even start to compare him, like you are doing in your original post, to LT. (okay if he has 40 I would say its okay to) LT was the greatest of all time at his position, in fact, changing the position forever. We can't legitimately compare what Orakpo does in his first pre season game to LT's first pre season game because we already know what LT went on to do. There have been many linebackers who had 2 sacks in their first preseason game and didn't go on to compare to LT... So even if Orakpo does that tonight, you just can't compare them.....

Archived