Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Five things To Look For In First Preseason Game

Gregpeck99

!. QB status. Campbell will get only one series so we won't learn much. All eyes will be on the competition for No. 2. If TC finishes out first half ... Brennan wii start the second. Boo Ya!

2. Skins OL is in shambles. Chance for Dock and Heyer to calm some frayed nerves. These guys should see action for 2 series at least. After that ... the back-ups will be fighting for their lives. Moment of truth for Rhino, Clark, MWilliams, EWilliams, Batiste, Montgomery et al. If RT still nicked ... see if Rhino or WM starts instead.

3. Sophmores on Parade. Will DT and MK play? How will they do? Davis will play a plenty ... his chance to emerge.

The competition for 5 and 6 WR will highlight 2nd half. Keith, Trent, Marques, and Marko slug it out. My sleeper deluxe ... Rob Agnone ... has chance to become "household word."

4. Who will replace Rock? An annual ritual ... Marcus Mason, AAldridge, DDorsey vie for a spot on roster and chance to inject some juice into kick return game. There should be plenty of kickoffs so we will get a chance to see if these alleged "quick strikers" are anything to write home about.

5. Watching Haynesworth, Rakzilla and Jarmon kidding around on sideline ... cause I don't think these studs will play very much. The action on defense in this game will center around the competition at linebacker among Wilson, Thomas, Fincher and the rooks Glenn and Henson ... and on the play of the fringe DLineman ... Jackson, Buzzbee, and Wynn.

Plenty of morsals to chew on ... eh? If you think there are other juicy tidbits ... go at it.

It will be interesting to see where Jarmon is starting to fit into the picture. I doubt he gets a ton of action with even the second team, but if he gets any snaps at all alongside the likes of Golston and Montgomery, I'd say that is a pretty good sign that he will be involved a lot more this year tahn originall planned.

If he comes in the 2nd half and plays well, who knows.

EDIT: also, id say all of us are getting antsy to see Tryon. keep reading good things - i want to see how different he really looks out there once it's more real.

I try not to get too excited or too down from what I see in preseason. The games are so different than a regular season game.

That being said, I would like to see our younger o-linemen show they can play at least a little bit.

And yeah, it would be nice to see Collins or Colt gave the impression that they can do the job if JC falters.

i guess really i just want what i always want out of preseaon games:

1. no injuries

2. a good feeling in the pit of my stomach

face it, the second we start to falter, there will be thousands of "preseason - enough said" posts in virtually every thread. but i am of the belief though that even though the games mean nothing, trends can carry over on both sides of the ball. i think this has been quite obvious in the past.

the 2nd half of last preseason clearly carried into the Giants game in terms of a lackluster, sloppy, pathetic offensive performance (and, seemingly, mindset).

i dont really care if campbell throws a pick or if devin thomas drops one. i just want to see some authority on both sides of the balls. i want to see confidence and swagger. i also want to see at least a semblence of the ability to execute the offense, even if it is at times understandably shaky (something that has been missing at time sin preseaons of the recent past). the stats dont matter - but the attitudes and confidence levels absolutely carry over into week 1.

and with a tough ,tough opening game, the skins had better prepare themselves to hit the ground running.

EDIT: also, id say all of us are getting antsy to see Tryon. keep reading good things - i want to see how different he really looks out there once it's more real.

Agreed. I heard a lot of good things about him in practice last year, but in game situations he was awful. I'm hoping he can turn it around.

ill also be looking for someone to step up. i think Chris Horton made his playmaking ability pretty well-known right off the bat last year. from the opening kickoff, actually.

looking for someone - at any position - who might step up and standout and just be everywhere on the field like Horton was last year.

1 - Right side of the offensive line. This is where the problems exist and it will be tested.

2 - Jason throwing the deep ball. We know he can throw the short meaningless pass. Can he connect deep.

3 - Colt and Collins. Colt has made it clear that he wants to move up and if Collins looks like he did last preseason Colt could gain ground.

4 - The starting defense. Baltimore should not move the ball on them. Their offense is crap and our defense is supposed to be great.

5 - The sophmore pass catchers. They need to step up this year, might as well start now.

so you not expecting Rak to get much gametime at LB? Surely a couple of series at least to work on what he's learnt in camp?

Rak is a starter in my book ... I do not see any starter on defense playing more than one series. Jarmon may play a couple of series with 2nd team defense ... but thats probably enough for him for the first preseason game. You want guys like Rak and JJ to be surrounded by first stringers. My 2 cents.

Rak is a starter in my book ... I do not see any starter on defense playing more than one series. Jarmon may play a couple of series with 2nd team defense ... but thats probably enough for him for the first preseason game. You want guys like Rak and JJ to be surrounded by first stringers. My 2 cents.

I'll never forget watching Derrick Thomas in the preseason (I live in MO). He was flying all over the field, and was easily the most athletic person on the field. I knew he was going to be special. I hope Orakpo is half as memorable!

OL, OL, OL, OL and OL!!! At this point, nothing else on offense matters.

We know the defense will be stout.

Agreed, although I think that seeing something from the sophomore WR's is nearly as important. Even if they only play for a series or two, I'll be looking for a flash from Devin and/or Kelly, a little chemistry with JC.

Archived